Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM

901 posts, read 2,388,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I understood exactly what you're trying to say, and I am definitely not the one to tell you or anybody that they can't or shouldn't feel that way...trust me on that one...

I guess my main beef, if any, with Christianity, is that some (definitely not all) of its' members can and do come across as loud-mouthed and intolerant, which of course can be the same with any organization or group of people...I've seen and posted in some threads where said intolerance reached levels that literally enraged me on the spot...but I digress, I came here now to kinda stick up for gay folk, and let it be known that people's intolerance and loud-mouthedness won't silence me...you owe me no apologies, in fact I respect you all the more for your plain-spoken, upfront manner
Captaincatfish, thank you for saying "some". That, precisely, is what I'd like people to understand about Christians. We don't ALL act or talk in a loud-mouthed, scornful, intolerant way. We may express our disagreement with certain issues, but we (at least some of us ) tend to do it civilly. (Unfortunately, even then our words are seen as hateful or bigoted when they really aren't meant to be.) And I suppose that's one of the reasons why I posted the comment that I did; I wanted to get people to think about what they are saying, and how they are saying it. It's very hard for me to respect someone if all they are going to do is engage in hyperbole and use terminology that is, in its very essence, indicative of immaturity and shows a lack of civility and respect. It's one thing to think some Christians are fundamentalists, but it's actually a demeaning term when referring to them as "fundies". When referring to gays, I would never call them "fa ggots". (Mods, please allow that term to remain for the sake of making my point.) It's demeaning, insulting, and akin to name-calling, which is childish. If people want to address the beliefs of fundamentalist Christians in a manner in which they wish to be taken seriously, they should be more dignified and respectful toward them. You may not respect what they believe, but people should at least act like adults and use more cordial language and in a manner which conforms to social conventions of propriety. And the same goes for Christians. (I wish to boldly assert that because I strongly feel that way.) I have a couple of cousins who are Christians (the older one is studying to be a minister) who tend to refer to gays and lesbians in a mocking manner, and it gets on my nerves because it's not becoming of a Christian to talk that way. It certainly doesn't show "love for one's enemy", as we are commanded to do.

I do not hold any disrespect toward gays and lesbians, nor would I ever strive to treat them in a demeaning manner. My comments have been strictly aimed at getting people to think about what they are saying, and how they are saying it - and likewise how they are acting. If someone doesn't agree with me about a particular issue, I can accept that. I can even hold a civil disagreement with that person and not refer to them or their beliefs in a belittling manner. I simply ask for the same courtesy in return, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 11:51 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,683,001 times
Default Thank YOU Insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Captaincatfish, thank you for saying "some". That, precisely, is what I'd like people to understand about Christians. We don't ALL act or talk in a loud-mouthed, scornful, intolerant way. We may express our disagreement with certain issues, but we (at least some of us ) tend to do it civilly. (Unfortunately, even then our words are seen as hateful or bigoted when they really aren't meant to be.) And I suppose that's one of the reasons why I posted the comment that I did; I wanted to get people to think about what they are saying, and how they are saying it. It's very hard for me to respect someone if all they are going to do is engage in hyperbole and use terminology that is, in its very essence, indicative of immaturity and shows a lack of civility and respect. It's one thing to think some Christians are fundamentalists, but it's actually a demeaning term when referring to them as "fundies". When referring to gays, I would never call them "fa ggots". (Mods, please allow that term to remain for the sake of making my point.) It's demeaning, insulting, and akin to name-calling, which is childish. If people want to address the beliefs of fundamentalist Christians in a manner in which they wish to be taken seriously, they should be more dignified and respectful toward them. You may not respect what they believe, but people should at least act like adults and use more cordial language and in a manner which conforms to social conventions of propriety. And the same goes for Christians. (I wish to boldly assert that because I strongly feel that way.) I have a couple of cousins who are Christians (the older one is studying to be a minister) who tend to refer to gays and lesbians in a mocking manner, and it gets on my nerves because it's not becoming of a Christian to talk that way. It certainly doesn't show "love for one's enemy", as we are commanded to do.

I do not hold any disrespect toward gays and lesbians, nor would I ever strive to treat them in a demeaning manner. My comments have been strictly aimed at getting people to think about what they are saying, and how they are saying it - and likewise how they are acting. If someone doesn't agree with me about a particular issue, I can accept that. I can even hold a civil disagreement with that person and not refer to them or their beliefs in a belittling manner. I simply ask for the same courtesy in return, that's all.
And I'm glad you knew my words weren't a blanket condemnation of the whole of Christianity...far from it...

I have a bad habit, sometimes (and it manifests itself on here LOL), of 'popping off' in the heat of the moment, and then having to backpedal later, after it turns out my 'heat' was misguided...I've been chastised (rightfully, and in a respectful way) by the Mods, and there have been some threads closed and some of my posts deleted, because I sometimes let 'heat' get in the way of my common sense...I've had to learn to scale back some of my rhetoric on here, but every now and then, a topic comes up on a thread and I just can't leave it be LOL

But I digress...thank you again for your kind words, and your most thoughtful explanation of your point of view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati