Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 02:25 AM

40 posts, read 77,201 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Im new to this site and was researching the internet for affordable places to live in the US and came across Cin,Oh. On some websites, Ohio ranked 13th for lowest cost of living and New York City, (where I was born and raised and still live is around 45)

Im not running from anything but its time for a serious change in my life and i dont think I will achieve the things I want here. I am a free spirit, an artist, easy going and quite content with having only basic material necessities to exist. I just want to be able to afford a decent sized home (700sq feet instead of 350sq ft here)

Maybe I am asking for WAY too much but here is what Im looking for:

(1) Im poor, so I would most likely live in a low income/working class area. I am a hard worker but I don't earn that much. I lead a relatively simple life spending a great deal of time at home reading. I don't care for bars or clubs. Book stores, cultural centers, access to gyms/recreation centers and museums are nice:-) it doesn't take much to make me happy, a roof over my head, food and books. I want a simple life.

(2) I's like to live in an area that has more than one ethnic/race living there.
I don't care about political persuasion, or religion of the community. In essence, I love all people, dont really care about what they look like, I just dont wanna be in NYC anymore...

Im more concerned with being self sufficient and having my own place even if I have to work very hard to do so.

sigh, any kind of advice you can offer me.

Thankyou so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:17 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,989,168 times
When I saw the 700 square feet in your posting, I immediately thought of my late aunt's neighborhood. Here's a listing for a house on her street, which is safe, quiet, and within walking distance of a nice neighborhood shopping center. It's also about a 20-30 minute drive from some of the amenities you were talking about. One thing you should know about Cincinnati is that public transportation options are limited, ponderous and difficult to use. Life here without a car is pretty difficult.

8396 Wexford Ave, Sycamore Twp, OH 45236 (MLS# 1216083) - Coldwell Banker West Shell - CBWS.com

There are a LOT of similar areas and neighborhoods in Cincinnati. Economically it would probably be a good fit for you. You should also know that the area overall is VERY conservative politically and socially. But it's also a good place for the arts.

My guess would be that in some respects the culture shock coming from New York would be substantial. But many newcomers do come to be very attached to Cincinnati and make good lives here.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,838,774 times
Cincinnati has many different neighborhoods which may fit your needs/desires. But my priority recommendation is this. First, attempt to at least consider or secure employment. Second, based on the employment look for housing in the immediate area, hopefully where you do not need a car on a local bus route. As has been commented, public transporation in Cincinnati area leaves a lot to be desired. The various attractions such as museums, and other cultural entities you describe can be reached by bus but you would not want a daily diet of it.

Be prepared for somewhat of a drastic change, as Cincinnati is certainly not NYC and why most of us desire to live here.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:58 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,336,630 times
When I read your post, two neighborhoods jump out at me: Over-the-Rhine and Northside. You should be able to find an affordable place to live in either neighborhood, and they've both (especially Northside) got pretty good art scene. Main Street in OTR is pretty artsy as well (although the riots a decade ago hurt that area a bit). As was mentioned earlier, Cincinnati certainly isn't NYC. You'll want to have a car here, for one (or at least know someone with a car). Nonetheless, I think that Cincy has its own bit of charm that a lot of people end up falling in love with.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:01 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,954,391 times
are you looking for an urban neighborhood with attached housing, a suburban/urban style area with detached houses close together or a more suburban area?

where in new york are you moving from?

do you need convenient public transportation? will you have a car?

how much are you looking to spend on a house?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM

40 posts, read 77,201 times
THANKYOU very much to everyone who replied with tips and advice

Sara Perry: Thankyou, I will check out that area. I do have a drivers license so I could get a cheap car to get around.

I actually live in Nashville, TN from 05-10 so I got used to the culture shock and conservatism there. There were many religious people, but that didn't bother me, most of the time people worked, go to the mall and to church on sunday.
I had to return to NYC because my mom got sick and she needed help. But i don't want to return to Nashville , TN this time, Id like to experience a different state.

kjbrill: Im gonna take several trips there first to see if I like it and research employment to see how good my chances are of finding work.
the last time i had a car, it was a nice hoopdee I bought for 1500 off craigslist. I sold it before moving back to NYC because there was no place to park it. Plus i dont need a car here. I may just buy another cheap car again.
Thankyou so much for the feedback.

flash3780: Yeah! Ive heard of Over the Rhine, I think thats where comedian Kat Williams is from. thankyou I will check those neighborhood out:-D

progmac: To be honest, Id like to rent. Im not in a position to buy a home, unfortunately:-(

Im moving from lower manhattan, (L.E.S) somewhat near ground zero.

it would be nice to have convenient transportation but i can buy a cheap car.
People here pay 2000 dollars a month for a 500sq foot studio apartment. Thats just crazy to me.

I can afford like 600 for rent. 450-500 would be better. I paid 450 for a two bedroom apartment in nashville, but I know Cinci, is a little more expensive than nashville.....

Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,035,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
When I read your post, two neighborhoods jump out at me: Over-the-Rhine and Northside. You should be able to find an affordable place to live in either neighborhood, and they've both (especially Northside) got pretty good art scene. Main Street in OTR is pretty artsy as well (although the riots a decade ago hurt that area a bit). As was mentioned earlier, Cincinnati certainly isn't NYC. You'll want to have a car here, for one (or at least know someone with a car). Nonetheless, I think that Cincy has its own bit of charm that a lot of people end up falling in love with.
Agreed -- keep these two neighborhoods on your radar, if a car becomes a problem. Although I don't know anything about your employment expectations or your physical condition, may I mention that OTR is a dense & diverse area just north of the downtown. You might even be able to walk to work, if employed DT. In contrast, Northside is app. 5-miles away from DT, but one of Cincy's most well-ridden buslines (#17-18) passes directly through it. You would have minimal trouble reaching DT. Good luck and welcome!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,479,170 times
Wait ... Cincinnati isn't exactly like NYC?

I think it's pretty much accepted and well understood that no other place is remotely like New York City. Not Chicago, not L.A., not D.C., not Cincinnati, not anywhere. I'm not sure why there's a need to restate this obvious fact in every post.

Cincinnati is also not Denver, Detroit, Dallas, Lexington, Memphis, Hartford, Harrisburg, Miami, New Orleans, Peoria or Little Rock either. Cincinnati is Cincinnati.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:22 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,336,630 times
I just wanted to point out that Cincinnati doesn't have the public transportation options that NYC has. A car is a major expense that you'll want to plan for, especially if you're moving from a place where cars are more a luxury than a necessity.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:51 PM

682 posts, read 1,632,304 times
Its getting increasingly harder to find things in OTR under 600 these days, and I see rents getting very expensive over the next few years. Clifton is getting pricey because of student rentals, unless you want roomates, I would suggest Price Hill, parts of Fairmount and you might try across the river in Covington/Newport.

You are going to find some diversity in those areas, they are all reasonably serviced by public transportation (in case you have car problems). People will tell you on this board that these areas are "crime ridden' but there are some good respectable areas where you wont have any problems.

I think you will like Cincinnati, I know I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati