Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 AM

4 posts, read 9,909 times

Advertisements

Looks like we are relocating from Seattle to either Columbus or Cincinnati. At this point, Cincy is the front-runner for a couple or reasons. We are super-excited (and a little nervous), and could really use some advice.

We are leaving a great subdivision in the Seattle suburbs, with tons of kids, mostly stay-at-home moms, and great friends, and are hoping we can find something similar in Ohio.

The #1 priority is lots of kids (ours are 4 1/2 and 2). We tend to make new friends easily, so a subdivision that has a bunch of kiddos running around, parks and playgrounds, maybe a pool or community center, would be ideal.

Priority #2 would be great schools, although this usually goes hand-in-hand with #1 - where there are lots of kids, there are usually great schools.

We'd like to stay in the $400's, although we are selling in the $500's, and would be willing to pay in the $600's if it meant finding the perfect subdivision. I'm guessing that means some new or somewhat new "McMansionville" neighborhood, which is fine by us if it gives us what we are looking for.

Based on our internet search, Mason looks promising, and I've heard Montgomery, Blue Ash, Sycamore are attractive, too. We care less about the town (assumming schools are great), and more about the actual subdivision.

Does anybody have suggestions that meet the above criteria, and would be appealing to a family with young kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 AM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
My first thought in reading your post was Mason. Then you listed your current promising areas. All are good choices.

I would also look at Fairfield (we live in Fairfield and love it).

If you happen to be Jewish, Mason, Montgomery, Sycamore and Blue Ash are great choices because the larger populations, synagogues and community center are all on that side of town.

Regardless, I would stay away from west side (ducks and covers) and the city of Cincinnati in general.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:31 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
With that price range Wetherington would be the best choice. But you can find some awesome deals coming from the west cost. Culture shock. You can bank 200k+.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:45 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Wetherington is a gated golf course community in Butler Co. just west of I-75. It has some splendid homes, but one of its drawbacks is proximity to I-75's noise. School district is Lakota. Across I-75 to the east is Four Bridges along the Butler/Warren Co. boundary. School district also Lakota. Four Bridges is also a golf course community, quite large, and spans a range of homes from multi-level condos to patio homes to std. two-story to large single family. Somewhere in this large development you can find about any size you are looking for.

Just across the Butler/Warren Co. boundary east of Four Bridges is Heritage Club, another golf course community. This is in Warren Co. City of Mason and Mason City Schools. I believe $500K is about the minimum here, with up to the vicinity of $1.4MIL. Surrounding are some other very nice subdivisions minus the golf course and the elevated prices.

Unforunately, I do not know of Cincy realtor sites which let you search by subdivision name. Why I don't know as it makes sense to me. As far as kids there are tons of them. Mason City Schools = 10,000+ students. City of Mason = 30,000+ residents. Here are some subdivisions in Mason which I believe will offer what you are looking for.
Crooked Tree - Northwestern Quadrant of City
White Blossom - South/Central
These are just a couple, there are dozens more.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:39 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Before they outgrew their place and reluctantly moved within the same area, my sister and BIL loved life in Loveland's "Claiborne" subdivision. The homes there aren't McMansions (typically 3-4 BR tract houses) and the yards are on the small side. But the community has its own swim club. And it's one of those "Leave It to Beaver" neighborhoods where kids play outside and their parents actually get acquainted with each other. Loveland Middle School's property backs up to Claiborne, and there's bus service to the elementary and high schools. Speaking of schools - after being an also-ran in the state rankings for a long time, Loveland's broke into the top tier in 2009 where they joined Sycamore, Mason, and Indian Hill in having northeast-side bragging rights.
BTW my sister's family now lives in a "McMansionville" which is outside Loveland yet still within the same school district. They've had pretty good luck meeting and getting to know the new neighbors despite its being a lower-density and more upscale environment. Both there and in Claiborne, traffic arteries aren't terribly far away but the residential areas are peaceful. You'd never know retail chaos was within a matter of blocks, anchored by the Kenwood mall sprawl a few miles south. The area is "right off" the I-275 interchanges with Montgomery and Loveland-Madeira Rd's and is also close by I-71 for easy access to expressways headed to "all points."
Suburbia is suburbia wherever you go. The main difference between Seattle sprawl and Cincinnati sprawl is that the lakes of southwestern Ohio mostly didn't occur naturally. Trade in any "U-Dub" gear for that of UC, OSU, Miami, or Xavier and you'll blend right in.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,909 times
Thanks for all the replies. Most helpful. A house came up in our search in the Foxborough subdivision in West Chester. Anybody know anything about that neighborhood?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Foxborough is in Butler Co. between I-75 and Hamilton. It is designed to be built out at around 300 units. The Cincy Home Builders association has selected it for their 2011 Homerama Show. Homearama was suspended in 2010 due to the fact the majority of the homes from the prior year's show were still unsold. I understand the 2011 show will be downsized to homes ranging from $500,000 to $850,000. I guess their opinion of downsizing differs from mine.

My objection to Foxborough is it seems to follow the genre of so many of the recent suburban subdivisions - offer some of everything and maximize profits. Start off with a core of very nice and premium rated homes. If you can put them around a golf course even better. But as you build out, reduce the home size and cost, and fill the boundary area with multi-unit condos surrounding retention ponds and priced too high since they are in this high-class area.

If I were in the position of purchasing a higher class home, the first area I would consider is Indian Hill. In this forum you will see multiple references to Wyoming, which is a very nice place. But the difference is residents or alumni of Wyoming want to pontificate on how nice it is. You will rarely if ever see anyone from Indian Hill participate in this forum or comment. If you are at the top you do not need to broadcast it.

The 2nd area I would consider is TPC - River's Bend. For you non-golf people, TPC stands for Tournament Players Course. Basically these are golf courses owned and operated by the PGA, or Professional Golfers Association. You might equate this to the PGA union, since they all have to pay dues to belong. But they are seeing the handwriting on the wall and are much more receptive to the actual real world.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
All places mentioned so far are good choices.

However, Indian Hills largest drawback would be the extremly low-density of the houses there. Also, I still have a hard time finding a decent house in a decent location (not on a main road, backs to a main road, etc.) in Indian Hill that is under 750K. Still if you look, I'm sure steals pop-up from time to time. How they afford that, I have not a clue. So don't rule out Indian Hill, just be aware it is not a bunch of neighborhoods and subdivisions, but large-tract lot homes and estates. Thus, it might be harder to socialize on a block-party basis.

While I am a subdivisions guy, I don't know many outside of the Dayton area (just 45-60 minutes north of Cincy). But, having been down to Loveland, Mason, and Cincinnati for numerous business and family occasions, it is a nice area that I can navigate with relative ease.

P.S. Ditto on the $$$ culture shock.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM

171 posts, read 354,401 times
I'm one of those people who live in Wyoming and love it, but for what you said you want, I would think Mason would be great. We moved down from Lebanon which is also full of subdivisions.

I think Mason is really your best bet. Tons of kids and familes and great schools. I personally would avoid Lakota schools (West Chester/Liberty Twp) right now until they figure out their school situation. I would absolutely avoid anything that goes to Little Miami schools as well right now since they are not passing their levies (way we fund schools in Ohio). Their property value is plummenting as people are leaving since the schools are under funded. The area is beautiful and has great neighborhoods, but it's a mess school wise. Lakota schools also are having funding issues right now, but not to the extent that Little Miami is having.

If you want suburban living, Mason is great for that.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Do you REALLY need a house that big?

How many kids do you have? Cincinnati is far cheaper than metro Seattle and you could probably save a great amount by buying a reasonably sized home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati