Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:42 PM

76 posts, read 317,020 times

Advertisements

To Trisha Myers:

I also remember memorizing poems in Mrs. Stoffregen's class. We copied the poems in a spiral notebook. The poem went on the right side and we found a photo to put on the left side to illustrate the poem. Each one of us would go up to her desk to recite the poem toward the end of the week.

I remember we learned the John Masefield poem which starts out with "I must go out to the seas again...". We also learned a poem about the parts of speech. I have searched for that poem as an adult and have found variations, but not the same poem. I remember lines like "The articles are the, a, an--they point out nouns; a boy, the man."
I also remember the line "They're interjections--ah, bah, lo!"

Mrs. Stoffregen passed away several years ago. I don't know if you knew that.

I wonder if a child were assigned a poem to memorize in this day and age how that would go over. The parent would probably write a note saying Johnny is unable to focus on memorizing the poem because of ADHD issues and to check his IEP--modifications are to be made on difficult assignments and Johnny should have additional time and be required to memorize only two lines of the poem--any two lines he chooses. Back then, we just did what the teacher said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 30,538 times
much to my surprise, i received an email from a 'childhood friend'. one of her brothers was in my brother's class and i am sure we could all tell some stories of the glory days. just learning what you all remember is fascinating to me. i am not as sharp on details...but i do remember going to the candy store right across from bond hill elementary. can't remember the name of it, but i do remember going there and the pony keg quite often. we lived 3 different places while i attended bond hill....berkley, northcutt, and newfield. settled at the colonial village apts while attending woodward from 7th-12th grade. some of us might actually remember each other, like jfgibb and i do! i have lived in the south for 28yrs and haven't toured the old neighborhood thoroughly in a long time. lots of great memories to be revisited.
thanks ya'll

Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 AM

76 posts, read 317,020 times
Default Johnson's Cafe on Reading Road

Can anyone give me ANY information on Johnson's Cafe which was on the east side of Reading Road just a few feet south where California Avenue met Reading? (It was next door to the old Alber's supermarket which later became Jim Hayden's auto covers.)

Any information would be appreciated--when it was built, what it looked like inside, who owned it. I wish I could explain my fascination with this place, but I cannot--maybe because I was a child when it was operating and could not enter and because of the high round window on the door and the curtains, I could not see in.

The building is still standing, by the way.

Thank you!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,548 times
Hi guys...
I have been reading your comments about Bond Hill and B.H. school. I lived in Bond Hill on Catalina Ane. from 1932 to 1952, when I got married.
During my time, Johnson's Cafe was north of Dale Rd., Dan Tehan's Cafe was south of Alber's and then later Johnson's moved into Tehan's location.
The Bond Theater had Saturday matinees with a western and a serial for only 10 cents.
At Bond Hill School, Miss Dolan was principal and Mr. warren was Asst. Principal. I remeber Miss McWhorter was my first garde teacher, Mrs. Newman, my second grade; Miss Firestone was seventh grade. I also enjoyed going to school there and then I went to high school at Hughes.
I now live in Reading and drive down Reading Rd. and thru St. Bernard to Vine St. to get to the VA Hospital several times a month. It breaks my heart to see how Roselawn, Bond Hill and Clifton have gone downhill. They were really great places to live.
Thanx for the memories...Farleyfella

Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 AM

20 posts, read 129,238 times
You have good recall on the Reading Rd./Dale area stores, etc. I am trying to get information on a food shop/soda fountain opened in the fall of 1940 by a Rose Agricola who lived on Joseph Ave. between Oberlin and Matlock. I am not sure where it was exactly but have reason to believe it was in the Bond Hill area. With the school, the Bond, and the library in the Reading/Dale area, I thought it was be a logical place for such an establishment. Do you recall anything about such a store in that area?

Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 13,651 times
Default Bond Hill Elementry School

Since everyone has such fond memories about the school I was wondering if anyone also remembers contributing to the Art League. We used to put our few cents into a black cylindrical cardboard container for collection and someone/somewhere gathered all these painting of various scenes for display. After some sort of voting process a new painting was hung in the hallways of the school. The only painting I distinctly remember was of a paddle wheel steam boat.
Also, did it bother anyone else that the toilets did not have any doors on them?
I can still see the drinking fountain outside the boy's rest room. You would put your foot on the little peddle and wait a second or two and if you were lucky water might spout an inch away from the opening.
One afternoon at 3:30 while we were in line for the busses, one bus went towards Paddock Hill and the other bus went towards Towanda Terrace, some older boys were playing leap frog over the metal and cement polls at the top the stairs to the playground on Matlock Avenue. The last guy didn't quite make the jump and was sure sorry he tried.
I remember wanting to be a crossing guard when I got to the sixth grade. They got to wear that crossing guard belt and badge? across their chest and waist and carry that big crossing sign.
I remember flipping baseball card in the spring. One afternoon this older guy, probably a 5th or 6th grader took his entire box of cards, maybe 200 or so, and threw then out a second floor hall window into the fenced in play area between the gym and the third grade classrooms.
I remember riding my new bicycle, when I was big enough to reach the peddles, from Paddock Hills to school with a bunch of neighbors. I can't believe we were allowed to do things like that. Then again, I can't believe we got to do a lot of the things we did back in those days.
Glass milk bottles with the cardboard tops for 3 cents, cane back chairs in the lunch room, lining up along the windows for lunch, the Halloween parade past the upper grades, assemblies in the gym with the flag procession, nature films by Ken and Birdie Buttons, they various janitors, Rudy comes to mind as we used to say hello to him during kindergarten, kick ball in the gym during “in” days, kick ball on the play ground, the heat raising from the back top on hot days, the intercom system with the ear piece attached to the wall with a cord/wire and the mouth piece attached to the wall, the square clocks with the round faces, the fire alarm bells and practice drills.
Oh what memories.

Last edited by dsheldman; 04-23-2008 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 05-02-2008, 10:17 PM

5 posts, read 17,548 times
Are you thinking of Babe Friedman's on Burnet Avenue in Avondale? Amazing, I am acquainted with the daughter of the family, now in her 80's. Never went there myself but just acquired a matchbook cover from there, "lunch, dinner, and midnight snacks."

Old 06-06-2008, 08:05 PM

116 posts, read 304,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboydog View Post
why was the 1937 Bond Hill Elementary School demolished? was asbestos an issue? remember the window shades? translucent yellow shades mounted halfway up, one pulled down and the top one pulled up. opaque shade at the top pulled down over the entire window. for a couple of years starting around 1970, broken panes were replaced with blue. that stopped and clear windows returned within a year or so. i loved that bldg, and was disappointed when i saw it was gone. my teachers from '65-72 were:Volkman, Norcross, Hicks, Wilcox, Wainer (when pregnant, replaced by Moglen), Doyle, Stoffregen. math= Mount, Clark; science=Johnson, then a korean vet John Mohr; music=Backs, art= Tepper, gym= Wakeman, principal Guastini replaced Warren. there was a projection room on the second floor that overlooked the gym. climbing poles and ropes and rings hung from the ceiling of the gym. parallel bars were supported by cable to anchors in the floor near the west wall. at lunch, movies were shown in the gym on Tues and Thurs during the winter. McDonalds on Reading Rd opened in '71. Jo Ray was pony keg on the north side of Calif Av. across from IGA and Ted's Variety Store. Tom House chinese restaurant was operated by the Wong family. There was Sinclair gas station on the SE corner of Paddock & Calif. a bank on the NE corner, ACME drycleaning on the NW corner.
I havent gone by, but a new school was erected using the old front entrance. I have no Idea about the Rookwood etc.

For the record, I remember having my a$$ paddled several times by Mr Landwehr.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 PM

116 posts, read 304,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondhill girl View Post
Does anyone know how Miss Denick pulled off trails west--it still amazes me.
I wanted to be an Indian so bad

Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 PM

20 posts, read 129,238 times
That "Friedman's" restaurant sounds like the one I am looking for. Does the matchbook give a street address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati