Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:07 PM

17,551 posts, read 13,334,227 times

Advertisements

I couldnt find The Rinks Bargain City Kid, but came close with:

Kash D. Amburgy - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 06:14 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times
Kash D. Amburgy probably set South Lebanon back at least 50 years.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 AM

75 posts, read 120,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I couldnt find The Rinks Bargain City Kid, but came close with:

Kash D. Amburgy - YouTube
I don’t think that’s Kash’s voice, but an impersonator’s. Kash always sounded horse like that, but spoke with a more energetic and rapid cadence. He always prefaced his commercials by identifying the product he was selling, as in “This is Kash Amburgy in South Lebanon, Ohio for Kash’s Big Bargain Barn” or “...this time for Kash and Mary Lou’s tour of the holy land.” While his pitches were fast-paced, they were not really hard-sell, just enthusiastic and lots of fun to hear.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Kash D. Amburgy probably set South Lebanon back at least 50 years.
To this day, the town has front yards filled with Jesus signs and I think Kash had a lot to do with that.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibaschitz View Post
I don’t think that’s Kash’s voice, but an impersonator’s. Kash always sounded horse like that, but spoke with a more energetic and rapid cadence. He always prefaced his commercials by identifying the product he was selling, as in “This is Kash Amburgy in South Lebanon, Ohio for Kash’s Big Bargain Barn” or “...this time for Kash and Mary Lou’s tour of the holy land.” While his pitches were fast-paced, they were not really hard-sell, just enthusiastic and lots of fun to hear.
You can characterise Kash's pitch anyway you want. But, like it or not, he was a big part of what gave South Lebanon the image of a Big Country Bumpkin community, an image it is still trying to get out from under. People buying property there today are still trying to determine why this guy constraints the local economy.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
You can characterise Kash's pitch anyway you want. But, like it or not, he was a big part of what gave South Lebanon the image of a Big Country Bumpkin community, an image it is still trying to get out from under. People buying property there today are still trying to determine why this guy constraints the local economy.
Does the man make the clothes or do the clothes make the man?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 AM

7 posts, read 18,884 times
there used to be a Rinks in Xenia back in the 60's and 70's

Old 07-14-2012, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,207 times
Smile Bargain City Kid

Quote:
How many of you remember the Rinks Bargain City days? Unless I am totally off base they originated out of Hamilton. I know they had some spinoffs throughout Ohio, but don't know how far they actually spread or what the ownership/franchise name use was.

I just remember Willie Thall as the Bargain City Kid and those shlock late night movies on WCPO they sponsored. Can't believe people actually stayed up to watch that drivel.
The Bargain City Kid was Not Willie Thal. The Kid was Hy Ullner.He was also the owner of the stores along with his brother......Coleman. The first store was in Hamilton. THE 2ndI was in Milford. And the 3rd was in Evendale. After that they were all over Ohio with some in Kentucky,Michigan,Pennsylvania. And Indiana. They were bought out in 1964 by Grey Drugs of Cleveland. I would be happy to answer any other questions concerning the RINK'S DAYS.I would also be interested in locating any memorabilia.including signs. You can contact me at dullner@yahoo.com ........ thanks Donna

Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUllner View Post
The Bargain City Kid was Not Willie Thal. The Kid was Hy Ullner.He was also the owner of the stores along with his brother......Coleman. The first store was in Hamilton. THE 2ndI was in Milford. And the 3rd was in Evendale. After that they were all over Ohio with some in Kentucky,Michigan,Pennsylvania. And Indiana. They were bought out in 1964 by Grey Drugs of Cleveland. I would be happy to answer any other questions concerning the RINK'S DAYS.I would also be interested in locating any memorabilia.including signs. You can contact me at dullner@yahoo.com ........ thanks Donna
Now that you have joggled my memory somewhat, I do remember Hy Ullner. I can agree he was the actual Bargain City Kid. Was Willie Thal also on the shows as a sidekick personality or am I simply dreaming? In the original days, I was living in Madeira. Infrequently we would drive up to Hamilton to visit Bargain City. I viewed it to be somewhat like the Glass Barn in Reading, if you found something you actually wanted a great deal, but much of the merchandise what's this?

When did the Rink's label begin? Is there a story to this?

The Ullners, the Van Leunens, the Swallens, they are all significant names from Cincinnati retailers of years past. I for one am sorry they have disappeared from our scene.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 42,682 times
Hi, does anyone remember the Federal Bakery that was located on Race Street across the street from Shillito's and a bit to the south? It sat on the corner of Race and an alley way , before you came to Newberry's ten cent store. It was there in the late fifties and early sixties and I remember their bakery goods were placed in olive green boxes that they tied with string.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati