Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:45 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,953,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
I find your rant a bit funny in that you for some reason think it's right or natural that all Section 8 has to be concentrated within the city limits. Why villianize the city of Cincinnati for something that amounts to an improvement in quality of life for its citizens? Why is your quality of life somehow more important than those of us in city? Typical NIMBY attitude. I say share the wealth! If it's spread out enough, then it has less impact on everyone.

Anyplace that has cheap housing that meets government standards is going to be a prospect for subsidized tenants, and I see tons of opportunity for this, particularly on the west side and northern 'burbs like Fairfield. The aging housing stock inside the city may be its salvation in terms of dispersing the high concentrations of S. 8, since often it's not economically viable slumlords to renovate these properties.
In terms of quality of life of day-to-day living, people live less in entire cities or entire townships than in neighborhoods. And the trouble is that it's NOT spread out enough. It's not one house on a street, or a couple of houses in an entire subdivision. When you turn an apartment complex with 400 or 500 units into Section 8, the neighborhood will change and it won't change for the better. It's natural that people who own homes in the area, maintain those homes and have a vested interest in having a pleasant, quiet, crime-free environment will be unhappy about an influx of people who as residents don't share those characteristics.

Again, I say this not based on race nor contending that everyone with a Section 8 voucher is a bad neighbor. But the fact is that people who make bad choices (or who for whatever reason lack the options to make better choices) frequently end up poor and in Section 8 housing. And now they have a cheap place to live where they can just keep on making bad choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
See ya!
Yeah, and we'll see YOU when you move back to Cincinnati and rent a nice little 1 br on Hawaiian Terrace or Bahama. Not.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:11 PM

329 posts, read 696,602 times
Anyone who thinks being against Section 8 housing in nicer areas of the greater city... Do you think turning 50 apartment buildings on what i see as the suburban westside, symmes township, hyde park, and ne suburbs good? Look at a crime map of fay apartments for christs sake! Stop acting like its racist or that people who are against it are failing to see the good side, what good side? Take the bad residents of a declining city out to the suburbs so that people who live just outside of the city just move out further? You arent being realistic if you think that people whose neighborhoods were ruined by secyion 8 (springfield township, winton place, etc) are going to flock back to the city that ruined them are you? Get real.

Edit: They never said ANYTHING about MOVING tenants to newly named section 8. They are simply building new places for troublemaking people to ruin.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Oh, yeah. I forgot "the Fay." And Winton Terrace, or whatever they're calling it now.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:18 PM

325 posts, read 1,115,475 times
The same thing happened in Stratford Manor !!!!!.....there went the neighborhood !!!! Along with the name change to Eastwood Village everything changed .!!!!!...(.I am strictly talking about section 8, not anything to do about race. ) I wanted to make that clear because I don't want any kind of spin put on it ....

Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
The same thing happened in Stratford Manor !!!!!.....there went the neighborhood !!!! Along with the name change to Eastwood Village everything changed .!!!!!...(.I am strictly talking about section 8, not anything to do about race. ) I wanted to make that clear because I don't want any kind of spin put on it ....
I THINK I read that within the City of Cincinnati about 95% of the Section 8 housing units are occupied by African American residents. So it makes it easy to claim that anyone with issues with the program somehow has issues with the racial makeup of people participating in the program.

I happen to live in a racially diverse subdivision. My AA neighbors have the most expensive house on the street, likely the highest income, and definitely the highest-visibility professional jobs of anyone else here. I like 'em just fine, as I do the 30 percent or so of other neighbors in the subdivision at large who are AA, Asian, and/or gay or lesbian. Like the neighbor I was chatting with yesterday, all most of us care about is whether people keep up their property or not.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:41 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,671,588 times
Lightbulb Hello Sarah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
As I see it--and I see it at close range--the worst problem with Section 8 (at least around here, anyway) is how it all too often concentrates a lot of recipients into large apartment complexes. And when it does, a bunch of unsavory stuff starts to happen. For whatever reason, once a complex goes Section 8, your middle-class neighborhood where people are safe and where police calls are infrequent undergoes a drastic change.

As far as I'm concerned, Captain Catfish, this has nothing to do with people's color except insofar as to the social inequities that put them into Section 8 in the first place. It also has nothing to do with the many Section 8 recipients who are good neighbors. It has EVERYTHING to do with the Section 8 recipients who are bad ones.

And don't try to tell me these problems are nonexistent or some kind of racist exaggeration. Take a look sometime at the police calls for the big complexes in Mt. Airy, and spend some time in the adjoining business district at Colerain and North Bend. You should be able to figure out real fast why no one in their right mind would want the same thing in Monfort Heights.
You make a very valid and telling point in your very first paragraph, with your statement about 'concentrating a lot of section 8 recipients into large apartment complexes'...in a situation such as that, true you're asking for trouble, because you're shoe-horning in the few possible good folks in with the ones majoring in Thug 101, and something's gotta give...

Which validates your second point, about the high instance of police calls in the areas you mentioned...and which also validates a long-standing opinion of mine, which runs something along the lines of 'why don't these thug-a** jabronis just sink into a black hole somewhere, and let the rest of us live in peace?'

You'd be amazed at the times when my wife and I have been, say, sitting in a restaurant, and a news report comes on, and the perps happen to be black...suddenly, you could hear a pin drop, as if they were waiting for us to make some sort of outburst defending the numbnut, simply due to his being black...oh hell no---that ain't gonna happen...I'm wishing the cops would roll on his dumb a** and send him to the slammer---one less idiot polluting the atmosphere...

Sarah, by no means do I dismiss the problems as being racist or non-existent, because by and large, they affect me too, for the simple reason that inevitably, I may want to live, as I said in my post, closer to the city, or in the city...and that may not happen due to folks' perceptions of a situation, as in being fearful of my presence simply due to my race, without even really taking the time to know me or my wife...that's where my 'crack' about NIMBY'S came into play---y'know 'if you let ONE in there goes the neighborhood'

At the end of the day, we (blacks) want the same things as our white counterparts/neighbors---good schools, amenities, safe quiet neighborhoods...but I totally agree with your assessment that wanting to slam a bunch of section 8 folk together in a multi-unit complex is a bad idea...can't someone come up with a way to lessen the problem by spreading them out, perhaps in low to mid rise places or even single-family rentals?
Has this option even been explored or discussed by the powers-that-be?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:45 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,529,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
Anyone who thinks being against Section 8 housing in nicer areas of the greater city... Do you think turning 50 apartment buildings on what i see as the suburban westside, symmes township, hyde park, and ne suburbs good? Look at a crime map of fay apartments for christs sake! Stop acting like its racist or that people who are against it are failing to see the good side, what good side? Take the bad residents of a declining city out to the suburbs so that people who live just outside of the city just move out further? You arent being realistic if you think that people whose neighborhoods were ruined by secyion 8 (springfield township, winton place, etc) are going to flock back to the city that ruined them are you? Get real.

Edit: They never said ANYTHING about MOVING tenants to newly named section 8. They are simply building new places for troublemaking people to ruin.
I never said I was for or against anything. I was only making the point that it's ridiculous to assume that this has to be Cincinnati's burden to carry alone. Welcome to the 21st Century and our new diverse society.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:49 PM

329 posts, read 696,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
I never said I was for or against anything. I was only making the point that it's ridiculous to assume that this has to be Cincinnati's burden to carry alone. Welcome to the 21st Century and our new diverse society.
It doesnt have to be Cincis problem at all. But i dont know what these idiots were thinking upon choosing a location for the new section 8. Why not place them in an area like Hamilton, Greenhills, Mt Healthy, or Lockland? These areas have obviously come and gone, and basically area already going downhill.

Why ruin good communities on the Westside and Eastside so that people move even further away from the city?

Old 04-09-2011, 03:00 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,529,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
It doesnt have to be Cincis problem at all. But i dont know what these idiots were thinking upon choosing a location for the new section 8. Why not place them in an area like Hamilton, Greenhills, Mt Healthy, or Lockland? These areas have obviously come and gone, and basically area already going downhill.

Why ruin good communities on the Westside and Eastside so that people move even further away from the city?
I think all of those communities are getting a pretty good dose of it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati