U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 PM

2,583 posts, read 3,619,993 times

Advertisements

The pace of gentrification of the urban core is going to be very slow as long as CPS stays the way it is today. Like clockwork, most of my friends that bought houses in the city of Cincinnati when we were in our 20s started looking to sell once the first kid was on the way. Those that haven't plan on utilizing catholic or private schools. There are a few success stories (Kilgour School, Pleasant Ridge Elementary, etc) and there is Walnut Hills for High School, but CPS has a very very long way to go before the school system is a selling point for the neighborhood like Mariemont, Wyoming, Sycamore, Indian Hill, or Lakota.

Also, the presence of the river and interstates break the symmetry of the model where socioeconomic 'rings' form around an urban core. The topography of the land plays a big part as well. Also, the municipality boundaries play a major role, as individuals displaced by gentrification are not likely to relocate to municipalities that go out of their way to make life difficult for less affluent people like Mariemont, Terrace Park, and (it pains me to admit it, but it is true) Amberley. I do not expect Walnut Hills, Northside, Price Hill or any other 'transitioning' urban neighborhood to surpass Blue Ash, Kenwood, or Mariemont as a desirable location to live in my lifetime (I'm 31), no matter how high gas prices get. I guess stranger things have happened, though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 PM

329 posts, read 596,014 times
Well right now I think Lee's Crossing Apartments behind the Kroger on North Bend now accepts section 8 vouchers... Not to be racist but it is a HIGHLY noticeable change when I took the drive through there. It seems like the plans to make apartments near Harrison Avenue in Green Township section 8 have failed. It is understandable for the ones behind Kroger, the neighborhood (Monfort Heights) has seen its glory days and like all other neighborhoods will most likely decline as people start to move further out. New houses are even starting to be built near Miami Town and beyond, I may get in on these or move to the more stable Eastside suburban communities.

I understand the need for the blossom effect to happen where the inner ring suburbs need to become section 8 areas while the urban center and outer suburbs continue growth. I may even move to Downtown! Awesome!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,422,878 times
Bhiggins i have a solution for your twp. Don't accept federal funding. Go at it by yourself.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:01 PM

213 posts, read 570,140 times
I spent some time in Mount Washington a few weeks ago. It also looks like they've been hammered pretty hard in recent years by Section 8. When I moved from that area 5 years ago it was nothing like it is today.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 PM

People think sprawl is to blame but the real enemy is the section 8 housing and the fact of the blossom effect that cities go through.

The ghetto's that seem to be making the suburbs become more sprawled and spread further out are similar to the effect the section 8 has had on Atlanta, GA. I plan to move there soon, but am planning to give Cincinnati another chance and see if the streetcar or Banks is successful.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Well I've made up my mind and will probably be moving out of this city altogether and moving to Atlanta, my wife is going to find work at a hospital in the Alpharetta/Johns Creek area and I am going to fight against this section 8.

I took a drive through Lee's Crossing yesterday and noticed significant changes as in not being able to look in one direction without noticing vandalism or a pimped out car. NICE JOB CINCINNATI!

Well, not like it was this bad before, it was going downhill already. I have sent a call to the trustees and they said this is becoming another Tri Star Motel incident, or at least I think what that's called. There used to be a motel across from St. Ignatius and Green Township literally had to have a police unit stationed at the parking lot due to constant drug problems and complaints. I hope the same doom comes to these apartments (demolition) and sends these problems back down the hill to Cumminsville or back up the hill to Mt Airy.

They are doing something along the hill near the interstate near the apartments which I think is either office space or a new condominium complex. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:46 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,195,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
...They are doing something along the hill near the interstate near the apartments which I think is either office space or a new condominium complex. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
If you're talking about the development site on West Fork with the ginormous retaining wall, I think that's going to be some kind of assisted living/elderly housing complex. Can't remember where I read it, though, and might be mis-remembering.

The construction farther west on North Bend (closer to the site of the demolished motel) is probably the new Mercy Hospital.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
If you're talking about the development site on West Fork with the ginormous retaining wall, I think that's going to be some kind of assisted living/elderly housing complex. Can't remember where I read it, though, and might be mis-remembering.

The construction farther west on North Bend (closer to the site of the demolished motel) is probably the new Mercy Hospital.
... Christ. How many of these things do we need! Sure, I understand we need to help the elderly with assisted living but all these buildings do is take up space that could have been used for things more useful or impacting. WE ALREADY FREAKING HAVE a care center right down the street! Do we need to have another one after this built over the abandoned Marathon and another built over La Salle and another built over The Mt. Airy water tower and... You get the point.

THIS is what I HOPE goes there:

How many of these things do we need!?

-dies-

Old 07-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
... Christ. How many of these things do we need! Sure, I understand we need to help the elderly with assisted living but all these buildings do is take up space that could have been used for things more useful or impacting. WE ALREADY FREAKING HAVE a care center right down the street! Do we need to have another one after this built over the abandoned Marathon and another built over La Salle and another built over The Mt. Airy water tower and... You get the point.

THIS is what I HOPE goes there:

How many of these things do we need!?

-dies-
Uh...I think with the rapidly aging population we probably will need a LOT more of those things. I'm not sure what your big objection is: these are simply apartment complexes which probably WON'T have the kind of issues you're claiming are affecting Lee's Crossing. Not sure if you know what assisted living is, from the sound of your post: it's not "we needing to help the elderly," it's more like "we attract a bunch of very affluent elderly people who need apartments with housekeeping and food service into our community." Plus, "we add some jobs at the nursing home component of the complex." Whaddya want instead? Another West Side sports bar?

Old 07-02-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Well I've made up my mind and will probably be moving out of this city altogether and moving to Atlanta, my wife is going to find work at a hospital in the Alpharetta/Johns Creek area and I am going to fight against this section 8.

I took a drive through Lee's Crossing yesterday and noticed significant changes as in not being able to look in one direction without noticing vandalism or a pimped out car. NICE JOB CINCINNATI!

Well, not like it was this bad before, it was going downhill already. I have sent a call to the trustees and they said this is becoming another Tri Star Motel incident, or at least I think what that's called...
I hope you like Atlanta. I assume they have their share of Section 8 there, too, but maybe it's better managed.

I grew up in the far northwestern corner of Hamilton County, in an area that had been developed from farm land and woods into six-acre plots. 50 years later, there are a few more houses, but basically the neighborhood is unchanged. My next home was in an apartment building that morphed--in the 5 years my hubby and I lived there as newlyweds--from a nice place with professional type tenants to a place where one tenant was involved in a major heroin bust, and where I literally heard gunfire coming from an apartment one day when I went to the mailbox. I lived in a duplex where the large complex across the street went Section 8. I was happy to get out of that neighborhood. Then I lived in an older, inner-ring suburb which was stable for many years, but which is now in a slow decline, as a lot of poor people who also happen to be Hispanic take over nearby rental complexes. All these are reasons why when my trashy neighbor in what is an upscale subdivision for this area moves cash-paying "friends" into her basement, I'm all over it like a cheap suit.

What I've learned from a lifetime of these interesting housing arrangements is that if you want real stability and privacy, you have to live in the country and make the long, time-consuming commutes. Sure, you may get lucky otherwise--for decades, even. But the odds of things staying the same forever, or of getting better? Not what I want to gamble on. Get out when the gettin's good, at the first real signs of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati