U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:38 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,842,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I hope you like Atlanta. I assume they have their share of Section 8 there, too, but maybe it's better managed.

I grew up in the far northwestern corner of Hamilton County, in an area that had been developed from farm land and woods into six-acre plots. 50 years later, there are a few more houses, but basically the neighborhood is unchanged. My next home was in an apartment building that morphed--in the 5 years my hubby and I lived there as newlyweds--from a nice place with professional type tenants to a place where one tenant was involved in a major heroin bust, and where I literally heard gunfire coming from an apartment one day when I went to the mailbox. I lived in a duplex where the large complex across the street went Section 8. I was happy to get out of that neighborhood. Then I lived in an older, inner-ring suburb which was stable for many years, but which is now in a slow decline, as a lot of poor people who also happen to be Hispanic take over nearby rental complexes. All these are reasons why when my trashy neighbor in what is an upscale subdivision for this area moves cash-paying "friends" into her basement, I'm all over it like a cheap suit.

What I've learned from a lifetime of these interesting housing arrangements is that if you want real stability and privacy, you have to live in the country and make the long, time-consuming commutes. Sure, you may get lucky otherwise--for decades, even. But the odds of things staying the same forever, or of getting better? Not what I want to gamble on. Get out when the gettin's good, at the first real signs of trouble.
Barely a month ago he said he was going to give Cincinnati another chance, based upon the success of the Banks and the development of the streetcar.

There is no doubt that the Banks is rapidly becoming one of this city's biggest success stories in a long time. Its residential component is almost completely full, a healthy selection of local and national establishments are poised to open, and construction is now moving west toward PBS. So, at least half of his stated criteria is successful.

Seems he wanted to move to Atlanta all along, and any reason that provides the final push is good enough. Interestingly enough, after spending some time down there with a couple of friends who live in the area, he may be pining for some of Cincinnati's quaint by comparison problems. Unless he high-tails it to a wealthy northern Atlanta burb far from downtown, that is. But even in the far burbs there are a slew of other woes that we don't have around here, not the least of which is the severe water shortage that has been plaguing a grossly overbuilt and recklessly overpopulated metro area for years.

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate...g-out-of-water

Last edited by abr7rmj; 07-02-2011 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:37 PM

329 posts, read 596,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Barely a month ago he said he was going to give Cincinnati another chance, based upon the success of the Banks and the development of the streetcar.

There is no doubt that the Banks is rapidly becoming one of this city's biggest success stories in a long time. Its residential component is almost completely full, a healthy selection of local and national establishments are poised to open, and construction is now moving west toward PBS. So, at least half of his stated criteria is successful.

Seems he wanted to move to Atlanta all along, and any reason that provides the final push is good enough. Interestingly enough, after spending some time down there with a couple of friends who live in the area, he may be pining for some of Cincinnati's quaint by comparison problems. Unless he high-tails it to a wealthy northern Atlanta burb far from downtown, that is. But even in the far burbs there are a slew of other woes that we don't have around here, not the least of which is the severe water shortage that has been plaguing a grossly overbuilt and recklessly overpopulated metro area for years.

the-ten-biggest-american-cities-that-are-running-out-of-water: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
I don't want to leave, my wife does mostly.

I am just tired of seeing this area go downhill, oh and I passed by that new 75 construction project where they put the new overpass in for the MillCreek Expressway Project and its already graffiti'd. Well, I hope to get some reasons to stay because I do love it here but it's sad to see my area go downhill.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:12 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,424,293 times
All these area's you mention are outside of Cincinnati. And graffiti happens EVERYWHERE.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:21 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,842,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
I don't want to leave, my wife does mostly.

I am just tired of seeing this area go downhill, oh and I passed by that new 75 construction project where they put the new overpass in for the MillCreek Expressway Project and its already graffiti'd. Well, I hope to get some reasons to stay because I do love it here but it's sad to see my area go downhill.
Some other cities where graffiti is far, far more prominent than Cincinnati: New York, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome. And it's not just big cities: Even Cheyenne, Wyo., (population 54,000) has somewhat of a graffiti problem.

Not exactly downhill-trending cities, those.

Where you have youth with time on their hands, you're probably going to have graffiti. And I don't mind seeing a bit of graffiti (nothing like the insane amount in London and Paris along the tracks), but enough to give the city a touch of urban character. And even if you have an intense distaste for graffiti, to think that a city of Cincinnati's size should be immune to the problems that every other city has isn't really being fair to Cincinnati at all.

P.S. Here's some graffiti from, yes, Atlanta ... it's quite good actually:
Graffiti In Atlanta / PC280151.JPG

Last edited by abr7rmj; 07-03-2011 at 12:49 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 AM

329 posts, read 596,429 times
Yeah, this city is starting to lose its small sided character.

FAVORITE:

whylie avenue, atlanta - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati