Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:58 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from Michigan to the Cincy area. My husband I want to get the most for our money and our looking at new construction. We were considering Monroe, Mainville and Hamilton. We've pretty much decided on Hamilton. I've been there, I've driven around, I've shopped, I don't think its that bad. However everyone keeps saying "Stay out of East Hamilton" like I'll be cannibalized if I happen to pause too long at a stop light. You have to drive through E. Hamilton (the down town area) to get to W. Hamilton. I understand that is the "poorer" area. I also understand there is some crime.. but seriously, what is it that locals have against the area? Miami has an outlying campus there, the city seems clean, the housing seems solid, the school district is rated highly (for Urban), and the housing values are good. Plus you're only 10 minutes from the edge of Fairfield, and about 25 minutes from shopping in West Chester. Any objective replies/advice is welcomed, but if all you're going to do is rant about "a bunch of rednecks and Hamil-tucky" - I've already heard it, so don't bother.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Briolat21, I'm with you! In all fairness, all I do is drive thru downtown on my delivery to the Meijer store out west. But I like the city, personally. The downtown area reminds me of Luxembourg City (especially by the river) and I've always wanted to take a drive through the older residential areas and look at the old homes. Yes, increased crime is a fact of life nowadays. But I honestly believe that it's not really as bad as the media says it is. Your post just might inspire me to finally do what I've wanted to do for so long; best of luck to you and Husband!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:48 PM

16 posts, read 106,202 times
Default Hamilton

I went on the first part of this website and pulled up Hamilton, Ohio. To look at the town info. ( We're looking to transfer soon up that way too). It says there are over 200 regisitered sex offenders in that town Scared me to say the least.

Just thought I would pass that on. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:49 PM

16 posts, read 106,202 times
Sorry that was 164.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:17 PM

Blue and Pink,

I thank you for that point. I would say however that the city has a population of about 60,000 people, and the ratio of residents to sex offenders is 377:1. That is higher than Cincinnati, and possibly higher than much of the rest of the Cincinnati metropolitan area (I wouldn't be suprised).. I just looked up my previous city (in Michigan) and found that the ratio of residents to sex offenders there was 95:1 (signifcantly worse than Hamilton).. so I don't think that will affect my choice at all. But I will concede that could be one of the reasons that there is a negative perception about it.

I would love to hear from local Cincinnatians?? Is it the blue collar history of the town? The fact that the steel mill closed and the town fell on hard times?? I just haven't seen anything to justify some of the negative perceptions. Especially as I've seen plenty of areas of Cincinnati that seem far more dangerous than anything I've seen in Hamilton..

Any more information from whomever (locals, future transplants) will be appreciated..

Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
My sons both went to Miami University and moved to Hamilton when they graduated. They both work in Mason and live in Hamilton. One was talking about living in Chicago after graduation, the other in Atlanta. The older one has lived in Hamilton for 9 years now, the younger one 6 years. Both have purchased houses there, in older neighborhoods west of the river. And they both indicate they are currently expecting to stay in that area for a long time. They tell me that all towns have bad areas as well as good and who knows...when we retire, we may move down there too.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,904 times
The area west of the river looks to be pretty nice. And there is an area to the south of town that is not too bad either.

The reputation comes from the applachian migration (which ended decades ago). You will find this in the Dayton area too, with suburbs or parts of suburbs given various nicks for being redneck. Some of these areas are questionable, others are just blue collar with most of the locals havin' appalachian ancestry.

It's just a Southwest Ohio thang....

Old 08-04-2007, 08:43 AM

122 posts, read 959,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
It's just a Southwest Ohio thang....
Oh, good grief! Cincinnati has many people who have transferred into the area! You don't know what you are talking about!

The two biggest reasons to avoid east Hamilton is crime and diminishing property values (unmaintained property). Just like any bad area of any town, it's so far ingrained it will never change, plus people of meager means and moral values will always be drawn to these areas, perpetuating the same life style forever. It's just life and it happens. Not every area can be wonderful.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:49 AM

122 posts, read 959,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
The fact that the steel mill closed and the town fell on hard times??
Hamilton had a steel mill? When? Middletown has a steel mill, but it has not shut down (Middletown also has "bad" areas to avoid). What are you talking about?

FYI - between Hamilton, or Monroe, I, personally would choose Monroe in a heartbeat! It's up & growing, very low crime, schools & downtown are on the upswing, plus, it's much smaller than Hamilton and a hop off of I-75, so getting around is very easy.

Last edited by Yac; 08-06-2007 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: advertising other forums is not allowed

Old 08-05-2007, 07:47 PM

Hmm.. I was told that Hamilton (like Middletown) had steel, years ago (like 20+) I would think. But that it closed, and as it did, so went the fortunes of the town. Very typical type of stuff.

I do not mind Monroe, but unfortunately, The prices in Monroe have already gotten high (for a new plot of land in a subdivision), and the cost of the house I want will be $30K more there. That's a lot, for some general perceptions.

We are looking at "West" Hamilton, and find the area to be very nice. I also like the fact that Hamilton has a little larger population and is really its own city, even if its not as functional as it once was.

Just looking for more local opionions on why people seem to have such a bad impression of it. I appreciate all of the advice and suggestions..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati