Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 12,055 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are looking to relocate to Cincinnati and hope to buy a mid-century modern style house - haven't seen much in the listings. Can anyone recommend a good resource for finding homes for sale by owner? Also - please let me know if you hear of anything coming available. The only caveat is we need good schools (maybe something in wyoming).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 12:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1287flicker View Post
Hello, we are looking to relocate to Cincinnati and hope to buy a mid-century modern style house - haven't seen much in the listings. Can anyone recommend a good resource for finding homes for sale by owner? Also - please let me know if you hear of anything coming available. The only caveat is we need good schools (maybe something in wyoming).
Price range? Good public schools, or are you open to religious/private?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:31 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
When you say "modern style" that has a meaning in the context of "mid century" home. It means flat roof, some glass walls, open floor plan, etc. Is that what you are talking about? The best of these houses were built in Amberely. Some really expensive versions are found in the Grandin Road section of Hyde Park. A few more scattered around in other parts or town built up in the 50's. If this is what you are looking for I'll suggest more areas.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,480 times
As Wilson said, a good portion of Amberley can be described as midcentury modern, with a price range from 150K for a 2BR ranch to 2Mil+ for a multi-acre estate. Compared to other neighborhoods, Amberley is a good fit for those that are willing to pay a bit more for privacy and green space. Even the smallest lots are at a minimum a third of an acre, and all houses are set far back from the streets, which don't have sidewalks. The older streets are lined with big trees, and every house has a large lawn. For public grade schools, the new Pleasant Ridge elementary is highly ranked, although catholic and private schools are very popular as well. The only nonresidential zoning in Amberley is on the far western border, and is not connected to the neighborhood at all. There is not so much as a corner store or a small cafe to be found. Overall, the neighborhood is family and retiree friendly, but not the most exciting place for singles or partiers.

My house was built around 1950, and I have to say the postwar construction style has really grown on me. With solid masonry and brick on well graded lots, it feels like a fortress, with little to no cracking after 60 years. The walls are plaster and the ceilings either cove or vaulted, and the overall feeling is that the walls are very dense and solid. My kitchen and bathrooms still have original tile, which is, as expected, heavy and permanent. Compared to my friends living in older Queen Anne and Tudor style houses, maintenance and repairs are a breeze. The only maintenance headache I still have is my wooden deck, which is not original. Nearly all of the postwar houses have decks and/or patios in the back, which differs from the earlier houses in neighboring areas that are built around the front porch. Coming back to my first comment about Amberley, the houses are great for those that enjoy privacy.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,370 times
I love Amberly. At any rate, why don't you contact these people. I have no connection with them except as an occasional reader of their blog.

cincinnatimodern.com - blog

Old 08-06-2011, 03:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Perhaps no Cincinnati suburb has the concentration of prestigious mid-century modern homes as does Amberley (Village). For decades after this community emerged (literally in the '50s), it was one of the most sought after places-of residence in the entire city. Private, pastoral, elite. As Chemistry_Guy has already mentioned, the homes of Amberley still beckon quality-minded buyers.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 12,055 times
Thank you for all of the encouraging responses. I should have been more specific in my original posting! Yes, "modern" meaning open floor plan, windows, etc. (I do like the fifties style tile, too.) We are flexible on price. We would prefer a public, neighborhood school. I do like Amberley, except that I would prefer a neighborhood with sidewalks.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:03 PM

405 posts, read 890,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1287flicker View Post
Thank you for all of the encouraging responses. I should have been more specific in my original posting! Yes, "modern" meaning open floor plan, windows, etc. (I do like the fifties style tile, too.) We are flexible on price. We would prefer a public, neighborhood school. I do like Amberley, except that I would prefer a neighborhood with sidewalks.
As Sarah referred to, there is a realtor in Cincinnati, Rissover, who specializes in specifically mid century modern. Her web site is cincinnatimodern.com - blog

I have no relationship to her so I do not believe this is an advertisement

There are also collections of mid century modern houses in Anderson township up around Turpin, that come onto the market from time to time.

Cincinnati has more mid century moderns than many places, I think due to the influence of its college of architecture...

Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times
Earlier this year a mid-century modern in Wyoming was on the market. Chances are, it's long since been snapped up. Properties tend to turn over fast there despite overpricing. A perennially top-ranked public school system does that for a town. But keep your realty Web pages bookmarked 'cause ya never know when something will appear.
Finneytown and some of the inner-ring and in-city communities on the west side probably have some of these kinds of homes too. Check out Finneytown around Mockingbird Lane (directly off Winton Rd) or within the section bounded by Winton and eastbound Compton. The main drawback in both cases would be academic quality in the schools, though. Finneytown's demographics are making notable shifts (lowering average income, increasing "minority" population) and the district's academic standings have taken a nosedive. But it's still a sleepy and safe enclave for the most part. Much the same can be said about the west side within the areas in question (Western Hills, Covedale, Bridgetown, Westwood, West Price Hill, and Delhi.)
Schools are Amberley Village's Achilles' heel also. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time it was established to tie in with CPS. Not only was Walnut Hills the premier secondary institution for the entire region that it still is, Woodward was a solid "district" high school and all the elementaries were good too. From circa 1970 on a quality education was elusive at all but Walnut Hills as urban unrest and neighborhood turnover made their marks on Bond Hill and later - and more gradually - Roselawn. To the east, in Pleasant Ridge, there seems to be an inordinate amount of cheerleading for the K-6 Montessori school since it remains in the rankings cellar. ("But it's brand-new and just getting established, give it more time!" OK...now you're heading into Year Four. Show me the money.) But everybody upthread has it right about Amberley's bucolic feel and high quality of life.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:27 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Earlier this year a mid-century modern in Wyoming was on the market. Chances are, it's long since been snapped up. Properties tend to turn over fast there despite overpricing.
I would doubt that. Actually, Wyoming is in the top tier for value loss year over year and for the past few years. 10.54% just last year, one of the highest in Hamilton County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati