Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 PM

116 posts, read 455,776 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

We just recently moved here to Cincinnati from Vermont... and found our house infested with nasty house centipedes... Is that an Ohio/midwest problem or is it an isolated case you think?
If others have had that problem, what have you done about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 03:10 PM

33 posts, read 101,400 times
I have lived in places where these freaky-looking bugs exist, but not in an infestation per se.
My understanding is that they usually feed on other small insects, so you need to check out what else is living in your house that is attracting the house centipedes. Get rid of those and you will stop the house centipedes. Also fill in gaps in the home (like holes in masonry) where they can enter and reduce moisture.

Good luck. I hate those things. If it were me I would call an exterminator that offers a guarantee so that if 2 months down the line I saw another one I could call them back and say get your hiney over here because the satanic insect is back!!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
The word I get is a real infestation is uncommon, and usually attracted to a high moisture level in the home. If you believe you have a true infestation, call an exterminator as they should make short work of them. Otherwise, if your furnace does not have a working dehumidifer get one, and a few doses of long lasting bug spray should get rid of them.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:45 PM

116 posts, read 455,776 times
thanks guys!
it is an infestation... i guess it's uncommon around here. we called a pest control service, and they say they're getting lots of calls these days due to the high humidity.
we catch a few centipedes everyday--mainly in our bedroom and bathrooms. pretty nasty looking things.
the pest control service we'll be going with has a 45-day warranty so we can call them again if one shows up again later.. hope not!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times
Yikes!

Centipedes are the most intimidating insects around, in my opinion. I remember seeing one in my shower one morning when I lived in Pleasant Ridge - this was at least 6 or 7 years ago - and I can't get that image out of my mind. The thing was strangely round and about the size of a CD ... it still creeps me out.

Rest assured that indoor centipedes are not all that common around here. I haven't seen a single one since I moved back last fall. There must be some reason you're experiencing them in high numbers. Is your home old?

I would think that proper extermination would eliminate the problem entirely and you'd forget they even exist (except for the ugly memories that never seem to go away!).

Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
While disgusting, centipedes are your friend. Like mantis' lady bugs, etc. they feed on insects and insect larvae and even some more destructive creatures like termites, etc. If you dry up the house and kill off the larvae, the centipedes will disappear. They are easily killed by chemical control, but why? The chemicals will kill your cat or dog and may not be all that good for you either. Control the food supply and they will disappear.

Please note, we do not have the Vermont State Bird (the hideous biting black fly). You have to be happy about that.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
house centipedes are common and have been in my life growing up in northern ohio and moving back to Cincinnati. but seeing multiple centipedes per day is not normal. i see maybe one per month, nearly always in the basement - our basement is finished, so i spend quite a bit of time down there. they like to do scary things like jump out of drawers. and damn if they are the fastest running bugs on earth.

i have a truce with centipedes and spiders. neither get squashed. i may put the spiders in the garden, the centipedes i leave alone. ants are another story. get near the house and the colony gets the boiling water treatment.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
house centipedes are common and have been in my life growing up in northern ohio and moving back to Cincinnati. but seeing multiple centipedes per day is not normal. i see maybe one per month, nearly always in the basement - our basement is finished, so i spend quite a bit of time down there. they like to do scary things like jump out of drawers. and damn if they are the fastest running bugs on earth.

i have a truce with centipedes and spiders. neither get squashed. i may put the spiders in the garden, the centipedes i leave alone. ants are another story. get near the house and the colony gets the boiling water treatment.
Windex is a good product to use on bugs. It is harmless to humans, does not stain the surface (unlike bug spray or even worse a squashed bug) and dries quickly leaving a bug corpse that will blow away or be dragged off by predators. Try it on flies on the window or ants on the kitchen counter. I'm not so sure about a centipede.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,012 times
Echoing kjbrill.....the centipedes can be controlled if you contact an exterminator and run a dehumidifier. That's how my mom and step-dad were able to get rid of them.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Centipedes are harmless. I wouldn't get all worked up about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Windex is a good product to use on bugs.
Mr. Portokalos, is that you? Gets rid of warts, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati