Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:40 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,454,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Other than the fact that I grew up here--which made it kind of a logical, easy place to retire to--for me living in Cincinnati comes down to simple economics. I'd hugely prefer to live in San Francisco or Minneapolis/St. Paul or Boston or a bunch of other places. But in most of those places, I'd have to live in a 700 square foot apartment instead of the newish, medium size house on a large, wooded lot in a quiet subdivision where I live now. And I wouldn't be able to afford most of the more expensive cultural amenities in those places, anyway. As it is, Cincinnati offers me MOST of the things I consider important. But obviously, if it were actually in a class with cities with a much higher cost of living, it would, well, have a much higher cost of living.

Yes, Cincinnati could be something more than it is. But not until it cleans itself up, both physicially and governmentally. I honestly don't see more than a bit of incremental progress on either front in my lifetime.
I'd say the progress in the last half-decade is a bit more than incremental. This feels like a completely different city than the one I left in 2005.

As for Minneapolis: I actually spent a weekend there a couple of weeks ago (weekend of June 12ish) and have to say I was a little underwhelmed. Having heard so much of the city from friends for the past few years, I really looked forward to spending a few days there. We stayed in a hotel next to TCF Bank Stadium on the UM campus in Dinkytown, walked from there across the river to downtown, went to a Twins-Rangers game, ate dinner in both downtown and Dinkytown, and did the whole Mall of America thing. While it's certainly a nice city, and I absolutely ADORE the light rail system, overall I felt the city lacked a certain vibe. Maybe it was because the students weren't there but there was something missing. I prefer downtown Cincinnati, the developing scene there, the OTR connection and definitely the scenery with the river and Mount Adams/Kentucky over downtown Minny. I did pick up a sweet vintage early 1950s radio at an antique shop there, though. Pretty awesome!

Boston and San Francisco, I agree with you. Great cities, both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 04:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,004,463 times
At this point I'm wondering what the OP might think about this ongoing conversation (we haven't heard from pbertin since comment #11). Hopefully, she's realized that Cincinnati is generally being contrasted to world-class, 1st tier cities, which is unfair. Try comparing it with Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Nashville, etc., for a more accurate assessment of its merits.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:32 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,961,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
At this point I'm wondering what the OP might think about this ongoing conversation (we haven't heard from pbertin since comment #11). Hopefully, she's realized that Cincinnati is generally being contrasted to world-class, 1st tier cities, which is unfair. Try comparing it with Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Nashville, etc., for a more accurate assessment of its merits.
Haha, good one. If she doesn't realize that, she needs a lot more help than anyone here can give her.

I've spent some time in a couple of the cities on your list. Whether an individual would prefer living in them really depends on what their priorities are for quality of life. Just like Cincinnati, you're not going to get everything you might want.

But just as a quick example, if you consider Cincinnati's hilly terrain and the type of development that goes with it important, you wouldn't like Indianapolis as well. But if you want efficient local government, you'd much prefer Indy. At the risk of stating the obvious in another example, everybody knows what Nashville has going for it over Cincinnati.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:09 AM

405 posts, read 888,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
When you say that you take your hat off to me if I walk to the HP Shopping Center. Its actually less than a mile to the center of the HP Shopping Center so I am not sure why that is surprising

I walk by Cumin, Amarin, and Bankok Bistro, China Gourmet (best Chinese Restaurant anywhere-they only give four stars to any Chinese place, look it up), two pizzarias, a burger place (soon to open again). And, when I get there, there is the Kroger Deli, First Wok, Fugi, Brueggers, El toro, Shaan India, McDonalds, City Barbeque, Jersey Mikes, Panera, Fridays, Daybreak, India HP, Chipoltle, Mio's, Taco Casa, Noodles, Green Papaya, Blue Elephant, McMurphy's.

Well I just couldn't imagine walking down Wasson from Mt Lookout for dinner at Hyde Park Plaza!

Thanks for the tip on China Gourmet, its hard to pick Chinese restaurants.

I need to try Cumin, Green Papaya, Blue Elephant...great names!

Yeah you won't starve in Hyde Park, point well taken.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:30 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,398,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
Well I just couldn't imagine walking down Wasson from Mt Lookout for dinner at Hyde Park Plaza!

Thanks for the tip on China Gourmet, its hard to pick Chinese restaurants.

I need to try Cumin, Green Papaya, Blue Elephant...great names!

Yeah you won't starve in Hyde Park, point well taken.
China Gourmet is the cat's a$$. Try the "Stockholder Chicken" off the menu but one of their best items, Bok Choy in Oyster Sauce, and 2 Spring Roll for your appetizer. Tell em' Wilson sent you. I've been eating there regularly since maybe 1981 or is it 1985???.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,923,703 times
i enjoyed a meal at chinese gourmet. food was good. i only ate like half my food, figured they'd give me the rest to go. but they didn't. too embarrassed to say anything. wondering if "to go" isn't classy? i know i certainly wouldn't mention these things when having a night out, since leftovers aren't really the point.

factoid: originally "chop suey" was all the leftovers and scraps, mixed together.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i enjoyed a meal at chinese gourmet. food was good. i only ate like half my food, figured they'd give me the rest to go. but they didn't. too embarrassed to say anything. wondering if "to go" isn't classy? i know i certainly wouldn't mention these things when having a night out, since leftovers aren't really the point.

factoid: originally "chop suey" was all the leftovers and scraps, mixed together.

CG is all about taking home leftovers. Tell them to arrange them anyway you want and feel free to ask them to pack more rice or sauces with your leftovers.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 AM

41,821 posts, read 74,868,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmandmc1991 View Post
Mariemont for example, has a nice warm family feel with people walking and jogging in the middle of the night. Little coffee shops and restaurants dot the town center. The focal point of the center is a lovely fountain. The residents ages are typically average maybe not young but not old.
That's because all the old people in Mariemont have been chased out as the buildings with one-bedroom apartments are being torn down and replaced by $400,000 McCondos.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:42 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,923,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
CG is all about taking home leftovers. Tell them to arrange them anyway you want and feel free to ask them to pack more rice or sauces with your leftovers.
Interesting. I wonder why they threw mine away instead of asking if I wanted them.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's because all the old people in Mariemont have been chased out as the buildings with one-bedroom apartments are being torn down and replaced by $400,000 McCondos.
Post one property address. Just one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati