Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 06:14 PM

6 posts, read 8,705 times

Advertisements

I was just offered a job in the Sharonville area and am debating as to whether to make the move.... I simply hate FL and am leaving to get away from a world of drama. I am also hoping to find a community that is more friendly and family oriented (I have a 20 month old daughter and my husband is a stay-at-home dad right now b/c the economy down here, in a word, sucks!) - if you are a stone cold hater, please don't respond but if you have something objective and useful to say, please do.

We would also need some advice as to where to start looking for apartments....

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 06:38 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Welcome to the Buckeye state.

There are a ton of nice areas to look at, it all depends what your looking for as a new home town .. A college town always has some great things to offer like culture, jobs, great places to eat, more things for kids and the list goes on depending which area you do your research in.

Good luck and we hope you find a wonderful new place to call (HOME).

Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
First of all, welcome to Ohio! Next, just a few suggestions to get started: (1) When you mention "Sharonville," aren't you referring the northern Cincinnati suburb? (2) If so, may I suggest posting your concerns on the "Cincinnati Forum" for far more feedback; (3) What is your apt. price range and how far are you willing to commute to work? (4) A clarification of "stone cold hater" would be really helpful. Good luck--Sharonville and its surrounding communities are, for the most part, highly commercialized and industrialized--along with a ton of apartment options!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Welcome to the Buckeye state.

There are a ton of nice areas to look at, it all depends what your looking for as a new home town .. A college town always has some great things to offer like culture, jobs, great places to eat, more things for kids and the list goes on depending which area you do your research in.

Good luck and we hope you find a wonderful new place to call (HOME).
Thank you so much!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
First of all, welcome to Ohio! Next, just a few suggestions to get started: (1) When you mention "Sharonville," aren't you referring the northern Cincinnati suburb? (2) If so, may I suggest posting your concerns on the "Cincinnati Forum" for far more feedback; (3) What is your apt. price range and how far are you willing to commute to work? (4) A clarification of "stone cold hater" would be really helpful. Good luck--Sharonville and its surrounding communities are, for the most part, highly commercialized and industrialized--along with a ton of apartment options!
Yes, I am referring to the Cincinnati suburb but I wasn't sure whether I should open it to the entire forum or drill down - I figured I'd start here and see where we went.

I think that we'd like at least a 2/1, between $700 and $900 and I'd be open for a commute up to about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

Oh, and a stone cold hater is someone who is being hateful for the sake of being hateful - I am looking for objective information, not someone who is looking to be spiteful.

Now, I understand that Ohio has a state tax, which FL doesn't have - how much does that work out to be (estimated)?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
In addition to state tax, consider the Ohio City income tax which varies by locality, from 1% to 2% or slightly higher. It is also possible to pay city income tax to both where you work and live if different.

Ohio is a fairly highly taxed state. A number of my acquaintances who are old, retired and like me in our seventies have taken up residence in Florida to avoid the Ohio taxes. The Ohio city income taxes are usually just on wages so that is not a problem since we are retired and not earning wages. But the state income tax covers not only wages but also income such as pensions or investment income so it applies to most of us. As most of us are fortunate to be old enough to actually have a pension that is significant. I do not like Florida as a place to live one bit, so I pay my Ohio taxes and stay here.

Take you time in deciding to relocate and evaluate whether you will go forward or not.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangingSeason View Post
Now, I understand that Ohio has a state tax, which FL doesn't have - how much does that work out to be (estimated)?
The state income tax is a graduated one that maxes out around 6%. Here is the tax table:

Welcome to the Ohio Department of Taxation (http://tax.ohio.gov/divisions/ohio_individual/individual/annual_tax_rates.stm - broken link)

The state income tax is in addition to any local income taxes that you pay and covers all income earned as a state resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: