Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times

Advertisements

Out there in suburban Mason! Makes it sound like the other side of the world. I will only comment a whole lot of other people also decided this is a great place to live. The electric, heating/cooling, and other energy consumption is likely little difference between Mason and in the inner city. Since most of this is carbon based fuel generated, don't preach to me about carbon-footprint. In fact the old barns in the City virtually devoid of insulation may be buring carbon at a rate exceeding the suburbs. So we get down to the main issue cars. Yes we could improve on that. But if you are retired like me, within an easy 2 miles is available everything I need to sustain and enjoy life. Last year we put less than 2,000 miles on our car.

Those living here who are working could use a modern public transportation system to commute to work. But the City of Cincinnati can only come up with a dinky streetcar plan from here to nowhere. The area needs a regional mass transit system, but the City backs a ******-tonk streetcar to nowhere. Is there a reason the suburbs strike out on their own without a regard to the City - you betcha! Those who are betting the suburbs will decay while the City rejuvenates, I hope you all live long enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:20 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Sheesh. Why is this difficult. The OP would like to meet professional people in his age group, with whom he may have some interests in common, for after-work friendship and socializing. If he wants to live close to like-minded people, the choices aren't all that numerous. The general area of downtown, the general area of the university, and maybe Northside, Oakley and/or Mt. Lookout. Of all those, he's most likely to find a short-term lease near U.C.

I fail to see the relevance of all this nattering on about Mason. Of course it's a nice place to raise a family, especially since we now have a solid half-century of extreme urban sprawl and even the people who don't want to be in Mason and its ilk don't have much in the way of choices.

Enough already.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM

I agree a younger person has interests different from mine. But at 31 it seems not exactly college age, unless they have decided to become a professional student. Show up at work, meet people your own age, and inquire where they go for recreation, etc. What is so complicated about that? If you have the opportunity to contact them before you arrive even the better. In this day and age there should be an avenue to communicate with those you will be working with, particularly if it is associated with a university. If not you made a poor choice in coming here.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 12,504 times
Hi again,

I am surprised to see activity in the thread :-)

Further, I am happy for all the input even-though the debate has gone a little bit off track.

I know - being 31 - that I have passed my prime youth and I do not desperately try to squeeze in a second one with week-days party's and so on. Nevertheless, I am relatively certain that I would prefer living somewhere close to (walking or biking distance) coffee shops, cinemas, restaurants, bars, gym, green areas (for running) convenience stores, video rentals and so on.

I appreciate all the input. Now I have some areas to investigate further and I am sure that I will find what I am looking for (and if not - that I will be happy with what I find). I'll start out with a centrally located hotel, a rental car, phone and a map and take it from there :-D

Thanks

Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times
Sigh, we can't have any thread in the Cincinnati forum that doesn't turn into a Mason chamber of commerce ad by one member in particular, and this one came complete with a convenient list of all the generic chain restaurants that clutter the monstrosity known as Fields Ertel. B-dubs and Ruby Tuesday, indeed. And if that's not enough, we also get into even more streetcar bashing - interestingly enough, in a thread started by someone who's coming to Cincinnati from Europe, the epicenter of urban rail transit on this planet.

To the OP: I think you'd really love the Mount Lookout/Hyde Park area. Downtown, Mount Adams and the Clifton Gaslight area would also be prime locations. Gaslight is one of the most diverse, dynamic parts of the city.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 09-04-2011 at 03:57 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 04:54 PM

8 posts, read 10,596 times
Elvirus, I can't but wonder when I see what you are looking for IS exactly the place my wife and I live.

We are living at The Forums Apartments & Health Clubs Clifton Apartments|The Forum Apartments. And for what you mention, it would be a great choice for you.

Inside Clifton, over Martin Luther King Dr, its 1/2 mile from UC, 5 minutes from downtown, has lots of parks, shops, restaurants and a lot of young people from all over the world! The I-75 south and north to help you commute everywhere.

They offer 1 month, 3 month, 6 month and yearly leases. 6 month is the one we are on right now and has a very good deal compared to the 1 or 3 month leases.

For 964 sq feet we are paying US$780. This is the fee for our two cats ($10 each), the private parking ($25 i think) and a optional dishwasher ($10). So rent only is about $735.

Rent alone includes the gas and the water as amenities, which is pretty cool for winter. You only pay you electricity bill.

The place is pretty cool. It has 2 pools, 1 indoor and the other outdoor. We have a well equipped gym. And a recreational room with a pool table, big tv and great couches.

Pets are allowed as well. It has both a free open parking area, and a private parking garage as well.

We also have security personnel, maintenance and cleaning personnel. The rent is due on the 5th of every month, extendable til the 10th i think.

There are 4 different buildings, with the tallest rising 10 floors. Although the edification is about 40/50 years old, they do try and keep it running pretty well.

All units have central air conditioning and heating, and some of them (mine is one) count with a fireplace as well.

Floors have carpets, which helps in the winter and sucks in the summer :P

Theres a huge amount of young professionals from all over the world that are close to our age (Im 30 btw) and look for night life activities or relaxing places. I think that Clifton offers all this, or acces to many of these things at the least.

I wish you well, and hope you find a good place to live here!!

Good Luck!!

Max

Old 09-04-2011, 07:19 PM

To the OP... MaxK81 has a suggestion which might fit in with your desires. I do hope you find the type of location and atmosphere you are looking for. I was only expressing Cincinnati is not a European style city and you will need some time to sort things out. Since you are coming here to work at a research institute it must naturally follow you are capable of deciding for yourself.

Sorry if some of my comments have caused deviation from your inquiry. I have been accused of being a Mason chamber of commerce advocate. Sorry if I like where I live. Sorry if I am retired and feel safe living here. I will tout Mason up bigtime as a location for families, particularly those desiring good schools. I don't believe I ever suggested Mason as a place for your residence. But when those who are apparently so lacking in their own confidence feel compelled to attack my choice of living, I will respond back.

And I find references to the monstrosity called Field Ertels road rather amusing. Sure there are traffic conjestion problems there, but that is just due to so many people wanting to live in the area. No different than Mongtomery Rd, Pfeiffer Rd or any of the other interchanges on I-71 to neighborhoods where people actually want to live. And just how many muggings, shootings, or murders are reported in that area on a weekly basis? Not at all like that Hell-hole called OTR touted as the next savior of Cincinnati. As I said, attack me and I will respond until they throw me off of this forum, which they might do after this.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:16 PM

329 posts, read 700,170 times
I'm with ya kj. People act like you are going to blow up Cincinnati on this forum if you so much as try to throw out a suggestion at a suburban community for a family with kids.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
I'm with ya kj. People act like you are going to blow up Cincinnati on this forum if you so much as try to throw out a suggestion at a suburban community for a family with kids.
Suggesting Mason for a family with kids is fine - and I would never suggest otherwise to someone who is legitimately looking for an environment like that. But pushing Mason in each and every relocation thread - regardless of stated criteria - is tiresome, counterproductive and cliche. In this latest example, the OP is a single male with no kids (read: no family) who enjoys going out, likes socializing and is admittedly "like most young people." Does B-dubs and Ruby Tuesday in Mason sound like the best place for that? The OP is moving from Copenhagen and someone thinks Fields Ertel is a good match? Have you ever been to Copenhagen? While the streets of Hyde Park, Mount Adams, Clifton Gaslight, etc. aren't exactly like strolling through Tivoli Gardens while eating an ice cream, they get a lot closer to it than Ruby Tuesday on Fields Ertel. Frankly, to suggest otherwise is pure comedy.

Another one of kjbrill's favorite anti-city tricks is to constantly tout Mason's safety, as if everywhere else in the metro is so fundamentally unsafe. He routinely suggests that Mason is some utopian environment far removed from the ills of the big, bad city. Not only is that disingenuous, it's flat-out wrong. Neighborhoods such as Hyde Park and Mount Lookout are very safe, and plenty of families live in both places. Mason doesn't corner the market on safety, nor is it some fictional Norman Rockwell scene where you can leave your doors unlocked while you run into the general store for a Coke. If you're not paying attention along the mega retail strips of Fields Ertel or Mason-Montgomery Road, you can also easily be a victim of crime.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 09-05-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 01:36 PM

477 posts, read 664,551 times
Quote:
Cincinnati is not a European style city and you will need some time to sort things out. Since you are coming here to work at a research institute it must naturally follow you are capable of deciding for yourself
At one time Cincinnati was one of the most European-like Cities in the United States, and you can see remnants of when it was in the downtown area. Sadly thanks to people like KJBRILL the city will continue to not have those kinds of conveniences and Cincinnatians will all be shackled to their cars to do most things and continue to be content with the humdrum of suburban living.

If you want to see a place that has everything you are looking for, I'd recommend checking out the neighborhoods recommended, though you will be a bit disappointed, its nowhere near Europe, even though prior to most Cincinnatians abandoning their urban environment they were way more so and you can see evidence of it. Sadly none of these areas are close to East Galbraith Road as that's in a pretty suburban part of town.

If you want to at least see an American city that will remind you a bit more of Europe, take a trip to the north side of Chicago. If you really want that feeling (though its a much longer trip) check out NYC, or Boston (particularly Boston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati