Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,272 times

Advertisements

My husband I were exploring Cincinnati( we live in Columbus)and we came upon this spooky neighborhood near Idlewood Park and it creeped me out. It was a group of New York City tenement type buildings all boarded up. Whats up with that area? What was it like in the past? What is the future of the neighborhood? Any info would be cool. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:32 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
The site of what we called the Glencoe Hotels. The slummyest ghetto neighborhood ever. Even in the 1960's this was teaming with hostile stoop sitters, sidewalk crap games, liquor bottles, and . . . rocks flying at your car if, God forbid, you got stuck back there.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The site of what we called the Glencoe Hotels. The slummyest ghetto neighborhood ever. Even in the 1960's this was teaming with hostile stoop sitters, sidewalk crap games, liquor bottles, and . . . rocks flying at your car if, God forbid, you got stuck back there.
It did give me that impression.Pretty scary looking place even abandoned.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:11 AM

560 posts, read 2,076,518 times
I think there's been some controversy over their redevelopment, as the city was going to underwrite a loan for the developer, or something like that.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:59 AM

Christ Hospital should have bought it and gentrified it 40 years ago. It would have been a great housing resource for the Hospital, and would have removed a significant nest of vermin.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
I think there's been some controversy over their redevelopment, as the city was going to underwrite a loan for the developer, or something like that.
You're pretty accurate with your info. There are a couple city council members that think the redevelopment of this property should happen for Mt. Auburn but others on council dont think it should come from the City. Last month it was reported one of the properties was in foreclosure and there were tax leins on five of the properties.
I had to go down to Christ a few times last year and ldrove by to look at the properties (long before I knew about all this other stuff with wanting money from the City). They really are cool buildings and were built back in the late 1800's. They are also on the National Register of Historic Places because of their architecture. Its a shame they are in the condition they are. I thought it was a good housing location near Christ and downtown.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM

310 posts, read 1,209,792 times
Default Glencoe Village

Here are some links that might give you some insight into this historic neighborhood.

Glencoe-Auburn Hotel and Clecoe-Auburn Place Row Houses (Cincinnati, Ohio)

Building Cincinnati: Motion to jumpstart stalled Inwood Village project adopted, but questions remain

Local . Architecture: Cincinnati: Glencoe Place

Old 03-13-2009, 01:58 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,250 times
Even in the daytime, that area's creepy. If you believe in that sort of thing, its also rumored to be haunted.

Otherwise, its a great location for redevelopment, if that ever actually happens.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:05 PM

Well, a couple of blocks down they have built a half dozen or so new townhouses on the Sycamore Hill in about the 1700 block. Very nice. But the loft market in OTR is in the toilet (except for the below cost units offered by 3CDC at the Art Academy area) so it may be a while before anything happens up there.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Well, a couple of blocks down they have built a half dozen or so new townhouses on the Sycamore Hill in about the 1700 block. Very nice. But the loft market in OTR is in the toilet (except for the below cost units offered by 3CDC at the Art Academy area) so it may be a while before anything happens up there.
Hopefully once the economy picks up the gentrification in the loft area of OTR will get going once again. Same with Mt. Auburn and they would finally to be able to do something ( for the better) to the Glencoe area. Sadly. with this recession now, gentrication has slowed down ( but has not come to a halt) all over the country. Meanwhile I would like to get more info about glencoes history. Very spooky but interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati