Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 03:21 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times

Advertisements

bump-

I have been attending CR for over a year. We even renewed our vows there. My thoughts?

Its hard to not be able to walk up to the pastor or call and chit chat. I wish I could get closer to people and get to know them. I have tried MANY of the small groups and none have worked out- infertility, Story Formed Life, MOMS. I did like Grief and Healing Betrayed Hearts. The kids club is AWESOME. My kids have ZERO complaints and Miss Chris is an great teacher and knows all the kids names. Chuck is by far the best pastor to listen to. I do love it, i just wish to make small changes.

Crossroads got my husband into church but I feel like its time for a change. I come from a Methodist background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
There is a new Crossroads out in Mason. They are currently holding services in the Mason Middle School. They purchased a building adjacent to the middle school previously owned by the Mason Schools as a teacher development center. It is really just an old home, but a large and nice one. The sign out front says Crossroads Church - offices and meeting rooms. I think it is just a matter of time before they build a new church out here, likely a matter of what piece of land to acquire. But in the meantime they are building a base with their services at the school and their impressive offices building. You could almost hold church in that old house, it is overall large enough. Come to think of it the property in front of the house could hold a good sized church if the city would permit it.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:49 PM

213 posts, read 674,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
bump-

I have been attending CR for over a year. We even renewed our vows there. My thoughts?

Its hard to not be able to walk up to the pastor or call and chit chat. I wish I could get closer to people and get to know them. I have tried MANY of the small groups and none have worked out- infertility, Story Formed Life, MOMS.
I've never attended and have no interest in doing so but my wife did a few years ago (the one in Oakley) and she thought it was rather clicky and a big popularity contest and most of the college aged students who attended just used it for a platform to try and "hook up". She wasn't a fan of the small groups either, now I'm not sure which groups she tried but she felt most of them always ended up going in the direction of one subject, sex.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:49 PM

OP...
Is it a Church or is it an entertainment complex? I can't quite figure out. Sorry about my opinion, but that is my opinion.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:07 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
There is a new Crossroads out in Mason. They are currently holding services in the Mason Middle School. They purchased a building adjacent to the middle school previously owned by the Mason Schools as a teacher development center. It is really just an old home, but a large and nice one. The sign out front says Crossroads Church - offices and meeting rooms. I think it is just a matter of time before they build a new church out here, likely a matter of what piece of land to acquire. But in the meantime they are building a base with their services at the school and their impressive offices building. You could almost hold church in that old house, it is overall large enough. Come to think of it the property in front of the house could hold a good sized church if the city would permit it.
they have a Crossroads Eastside too.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
Quote:
OP...
Is it a Church or is it an entertainment complex? I can't quite figure out. Sorry about my opinion, but that is my opinion.
Church is entertainment for many believers.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Church is entertainment for many believers.
Believers or followers. I do happen to think there is a difference. Don't know exactly which side of the fence I curently fall on. Perhaps I am currently on the straddle situation.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:59 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,878 times
Quote:
OP...
Why don't you try it out before making assumptions. My wife and I have been going there for six months and I can guarantee it is NOT an entertainment complex. I come from a more traditional church background (Lutheran) and I have heard some of the best theology since we have been going there of any church I have been to and that is quite a few since my wife and I have moved a lot. They are not afraid to say what they believe and yet do it in a way that resonates with people today. They also serve the Cincinnati region in many ways and have programs overseas as we'll.

To the poster who bumped this thread - my wife and are in somewhat the same boat as you. We decided to get more involved and so we tried a small group. Just didn't like it. First it wasn't really small: over 100 people. When we think of small group, we think of like 10 people.

Since we really like what they do and what they stand for, we aren't ready to give up yet! Our next step is to get involved by joining a service team of some sort. Hopefully we will get to know others, make friends, and have a chance to share our talents.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:52 PM

^^^ No Thanks, I have only had one church in my life, Catholic, and it will stay that way.

Observing the Jim Bakker form of religion is just not something I desire to do. Everyone is free to follow whatever they want, and I will not interfere. Let me go my way and I will let you go yours.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:25 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times
Quote:
^^^ No Thanks, I have only had one church in my life, Catholic, and it will stay that way.

Observing the Jim Bakker form of religion is just not something I desire to do. Everyone is free to follow whatever they want, and I will not interfere. Let me go my way and I will let you go yours.
I'm no particular fan of mega-churches, but they obviously have their place in 21st Century America (and elsewhere) or they would not exist in such numbers. Painting them all with the Jim Bakker brush is really pretty unfair. I've seen no evidence that anyone in the leadership/management at Crossroads in particular or at most of them in general is making off with illegal profits, or taking advantage of their members--financially or otherwise--in any way. I'm sure their senior leadership is well paid, although probably not nearly what they could command in similar management positions in the private sector.

If you want to make a case against the mega-churches, do it on their actual shortcomings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati