Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,760 times

Advertisements

I live in West Chester and I would like to live near the area but the taxes are HIGH!!! I know Liberty Township is cheaper but does anyone know of other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
The lions share of the property taxes go to support schools. As long as you are in the recognized good school districts, Lakota, Mason, Kings, etc. you will have high taxes. The residents in these areas are basically there for one simple reason - good schools and they know they do not come cheap. In addition Mason has the city income tax, which the townships do not. Frankly I believe Mason delivers a great deal in return for the income tax. The townships are increasingly being pressured to improve their level of services. Without the ability to levy an income tax, they have to depend on property tax issues. Only you can decide whether the taxes are worth the level of living provided by these areas.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
township residents are going to have to start making pretty serious decisions about services -vs- property taxes. townships tend to rely on others to pay for a great deal of their roads + safety/protection and as county and state budgets shrink, township residents may be in a tight spot.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 AM

progmac... I think you are correct. As county departments such as the Sheriff have their budgets reduced, the townships are going to have to pick up the slack. And it spills over into about every service residents expect, including snow removal, yard trash pickup, parks development and maintenance, you name it. The larger townships like West Chester, Liberty, and Deerfield are going to be required to make some significant decisions relative to services and taxes.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 AM

171 posts, read 354,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
progmac... I think you are correct. As county departments such as the Sheriff have their budgets reduced, the townships are going to have to pick up the slack. And it spills over into about every service residents expect, including snow removal, yard trash pickup, parks development and maintenance, you name it. The larger townships like West Chester, Liberty, and Deerfield are going to be required to make some significant decisions relative to services and taxes.
Don't forget Hamilton Twp. They are in for a rude awakening around taxes soon. Between schools (Little Miami) and the rapid growth, and little to no industry, I imagine their days as a low tax area are soon to end...

What about areas with tax abatements? I know nothing about it, but may be a cheap alternative from a property tax perspective??

Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM

The majority of tax abatements are granted to commercial enterprises, supposedly for the jobs and additional revenue they bring into an area. The City of Cincinnati had some tax abatements associated with new residential development to help encourage it. But I believe the scale was relatively small.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:54 PM

171 posts, read 354,219 times
Quote:
The majority of tax abatements are granted to commercial enterprises, supposedly for the jobs and additional revenue they bring into an area. The City of Cincinnati had some tax abatements associated with new residential development to help encourage it. But I believe the scale was relatively small.
The abatement is pretty large within the city limits (I know OP wanted Butler or Warren county), but wanted to share.

City of Cincinnati - Residential Tax Abatement

There's an example in there (I believe you get abatement for 10 yrs):
  • Total Investment Eligible for Abatement (fair market value): $300,500.00
  • Assessed Value/Taxable Value is 35% of fair market value: $105,175.00
  • Assessed Value Multiplied by Tax Rate (.06667): $7,012.13
  • 10% Rollback: $701.20
  • Estimated tax abated for one year: $6,310.93
I remember seeing an article also about new houses that were built within LEED standards that had little or no property taxes as well. I think they were part of that Green homeorama this past year.

Either way, it's a great way to have low taxes if you are willing to live within city limits.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 AM

if you buy any new house in the city limits, you don't really pay taxes for 10 years. it is a sweet deal (while it lasts). it is sort of absurd that this deal is offered in the neighborhoods that are the most desirable not only in the city but in the whole metro area, but it is what it is. eventually , i imagine it will be limited to certain less-prosperous neighborhoods. or maybe it is just a gift because we get so many tax dollars from the commuters.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 AM

Just continue to believe you are getting so many tax dollars from the commuters. So that is the reason you cannot pay your firemen or maintain how many other services? Once the City recognizes it is shrinking and begins to act like that things may become better. Until then it is a bloated political mess refusing to fess up to reality because some of those in charge may just lose their nest egg.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Just continue to believe you are getting so many tax dollars from the commuters. So that is the reason you cannot pay your firemen or maintain how many other services? Once the City recognizes it is shrinking and begins to act like that things may become better. Until then it is a bloated political mess refusing to fess up to reality because some of those in charge may just lose their nest egg.
I guess so. And yes, maintaining legacy infrastructure is not cheap. The political system here also has serious legacy issues, just like pretty much every city of our age that has been long-since abandoned by the very people that complain most loudly about its problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati