Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times

Advertisements

Good luck on your home. It does seem that Ryan is going into a lot of Beazer neighborhoods - they are doing the same thing here (Lebanon).

On the flip side, they are no longer actively selling in my neighborhood. Their contract with the developer gives them some leeway because they sold so fast here in the beginning - so I think they will sit back for a year or two and see what happens with the market. On the up side for me, I get an extra use of the neighboring lot (and wildflowers). The development is mostly complete, so ryan pulling out at this time doesn't really leave the neighborhood looking unfinished - it just makes our area look like it has larger lots and more wild area.

I hope Ryan does a nice job finishing your community! Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 05:54 AM

14 posts, read 96,842 times
Briolat21,

How did you get Ryan homes to replace your concrete. Ours cracked before closing and they won't do anything about it. They said my hubby's pick-up truck caused the area that is now crushed. I thought driveways were built to drive on. Also, did anyone ever give you a paper that states what the concrete is warranted for? Just curious.

Thanks

Old 07-21-2008, 08:36 PM

We got the new home ownership booklet. It tells what is and isn't covered - cracks in the driveway (of a certain width) should be covered. Small spider cracks aren't. Ours was cracked about 1/4" wide and ran through 3 blocks of concrete. (2 small wings, and one main square). They replaced all 3.

Our approach is currently cracking - it is currently too small for them to replace, but if it widens before our 10 month service call - we will put it on the list to repair.

They should have given you the "what is covered" booklet either when you met your construction supervisor, or when the build was finished at the final walk through??

It is small (about 4" wide, by 8" tall) and ring bound. It says something like "Your new home" on the front..

Oh and they do specifically state that you are not to have dual axis vehicles on your driveway - because the concrete is not poured to stand up to those weights!!

GOOD LUCK! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:38 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a10rplyr View Post
We purchased a home from Beazer in the Villages of Winding Creek development in Springboro/Centerville and closed on January 31. They announced the pull-out the next day and actually cancelled 12 contracts for houses they hadn't started on yet. We've been getting the runaround from Beazer for the last 6 months about the pool and clubhouse they promised and how run down the development looks (it was a new section and we are one of five houses now). Last week we received an email that stated that the development had been bought by VWC Holdings but on Saturday signs went up on every lot advertising the lots as available with the Ryan Homes logo on them. Nothing has shown up on Ryan's website but I'm glad to be done with Beazer. It was said that the purchaser would substantially comply with Beazer's amenity promises, whatever that means. I have contacted the local zoning department, the BBB, news agencies, and no one has been able to hold Beazer to any standard. We have pretty much been told we were out of luck the entire time. I don't know how they can get away with what they have done, considering we purchased the house on the promise that we would get a pool, clubhouse, walking trails, street lights, and a lifestyle to go along with our house. They haven't held up any end of the bargain, considering they just planted grass in some of the common areas and nothing else has been delivered. If we hadn't shown up to closing with a check for the full price for the house they would have sued us within a day and yet there is no accountability for the flip side of the situation? ARGH!

Anyway, that is my experience. I'm hoping that Ryan at least makes the community look decent. Who knows about anything else??!!

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'd be pretty upset too if I was in a similar situation. Here, Ryan pulled out leaving two small local builders that have basically stalled in their construction. In 6 months we've had 3-4 homes built with probably 100 lots remaining. Hopefully another national builder will come in since Ryan seemed to be doing pretty well. Our unfinished sections are large swaths of dirt (lots of mud when it rains) and weeds. Thankfully we never had to deal with a clubhouse and all the lots around our house have been built.

If there's a point to this post, it's this. Yes, Ryan has begun advertising for the Villages of Winding Creek on their website. As far as making the rest of the community look decent, they should do a fair job. Like any major national builder (Beazer included), there will be some homes with major quality issues which hopefully get solved. Just be thankful Ryan, unlike Beazer, isn't being investigated for faulty lending practices.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 AM

One thing I've noticed - Ryan has gone back into communities in Butler County that it pulled out of last summer. Apparently the market has improved enough, or the land cost has come down enough that it is now worthwhile.

I'm enjoying my field of Queen Anne's lace next door. There's a good bit of black-eyed susan mixed in, plus some wild raspberries - so at least it looks like I live next to nature rather than an abandoned lot.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 8,142 times
Default You couldn't pay me to buy a Ryan Homes

I would avoid Ryan Homes like the plague. We live in a Ryan neighborhood and our house is two years old. Here's just a few things that have had to be fixed on our homes in the last two years...

Joist Replaced after it broke due to an installation error
Wall moved after it wasn't installed plumb.
Floor leveled (it had a two inch drop over 6 feet)
Window secured (it was just sitting in the opening. It was never nailed in)
Counter leveled (it was not installed level)
Counter squared to the wall
Ceiling replaced (big waves)

All of that was done under warranty

Not repaired
Large gouge in driveway (they wouldn't replace)
Huge chunk of concrete buried in the front yard, obviously what was left af a load on concrete they cover with a little dirt but nothing will grow
Horrible finish work that was bandaided (most of the cracks etc are back)

Quality of materials stinks. None of our doors shut right. The interior doors are basically cardboard. Molding is extruded wood product not wood. Windows has no insulation value.

After that ..
Master bath floor replaced (including the sub floor) after the plumbers installed the toilet flange below floor level. This resulted in an undetectable leak. Ruining the subfloor and the ceiling below. As part of the process we found out the the tile floor that should last 20 yrs wasn't installed correctly and now has to be replaced (after 2 yrs).

Maybe I got a lemon? We'll most of our neighbors have had lists just as long as mine and Ryan has stopped taking all of our calls and never finished all of the work.

I would find anyone but Ryan to build my home.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:09 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems.

*knock on wood* we haven't had difficulties of that level, hopefully that will hold true for us going forward.

I have noticed that it seems like their build standards vary greatly between communities, and between supervisors. I believe so far that ours was okay - though I agree that their finish work (attention to detail) sucks. We too have construction debris all throughout our front yard (fun to dig a hole for a plant and run into a 2x4)...

Hope your fixes go okay, sorry for your problems with your house, but still happy with my own.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 29,322 times
I see this thread is several months old, but thought I would revive it. We're looking at two Ryan Homes locations in Lebanon. I'm curious to hear if any of you have more issues with your Ryan home or if things are still ok? Apparently, Ryan has taken over a previous Beazer subdivision and they have a new model up there. We took a look at it yesterday. They told us they have one lot left in the Countryside subdivision too. We're interested, but I'm wondering how others are feeling about their Ryan Homes now? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 AM

14 posts, read 96,842 times
Don't do it shodgson! I just discovered two large leaks in my basement last night. One in the finished part and one in the unfinished excersise room. The carpet is soaked and already mildewing. I am having about 30 people over Christmas eve and this is horrible timing. On top of that we are supposed to get rain Tuesday and Christmas eve. I am calling Ryan tomorrow, but I don't think they will be able to fix the problem in the finished basement in time for my Christmas eve get together. I went outside and where the leaks are there are two huge cracks in the foundation and they extend under ground. This is just the latest. Ryan builds a shoddy home. You can literally see every single drywall seam in my home and most of the others in my neighborhood. This is not the case in the Ryan models however. There are nail pops on top of nail pop on top of nail pops. The floors squeek horribly thruoghout my home. We have been here for only 6 months. My driveway has cracked and crushed in some places. They refuse to touch it even though it was through no fault of our own. We spent close to 400 grand on this home. If I had to do it all over again I would build smaller with a quality builder. You do get more space for your money. You also get alot of crap right along with it.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:32 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
shodgson, I wouldn't do it either.

I live in a house that was built in 1876 ... this building is perfect with no cracks, leaks, or foundation shifting. They don't build them like they used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati