Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:18 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_david01 View Post
Isn't mason about 38 miles from dayton?
Yes, and it is still too far of a commute. The Heritage Country Club in Mason may have the prestige someone is looking for, but Dublin is still better. The point many of us are trying to make is Live Life Simply. There is no reason to make it more complicated than it need be. You have not specifically mentioned children, but if they are in the mix at least give them some time with their parents. If you are hung up with some type of upscale living, buy a house in Indian Hill, take I-71 north to Mason, Tylersville Rd across to I-75, and then north to your job. This should be about a 1hr commute. We are probably way off track, but what led us here?

Old 10-28-2011, 01:45 PM

11 posts, read 13,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes, and it is still too far of a commute. The Heritage Country Club in Mason may have the prestige someone is looking for, but Dublin is still better. The point many of us are trying to make is Live Life Simply. There is no reason to make it more complicated than it need be. You have not specifically mentioned children, but if they are in the mix at least give them some time with their parents. If you are hung up with some type of upscale living, buy a house in Indian Hill, take I-71 north to Mason, Tylersville Rd across to I-75, and then north to your job. This should be about a 1hr commute. We are probably way off track, but what led us here?
lol...I like your persistence. It isn't about upscale living, it's about hapiness really. My wife won't be happy in Dayton. I guarantee it. Cincy has a better shot at pleasing her IMO. We'll see what happens next week. Hopefully everything falls into place.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
lol...I like your persistence. It isn't about upscale living, it's about hapiness really. My wife won't be happy in Dayton. I guarantee it. Cincy has a better shot at pleasing her IMO. We'll see what happens next week. Hopefully everything falls into place.
Nobody here wants you and your wife NOT to enjoy or be a part of Cincinnati--it's a wonderful city in so many ways! However, none of us want to be reading about you in the paper because you've become a statistic during an infrequent winter ice storm out there on I-75. As for myself, I wish that you could chuck the Dayton job altogether and find something comparable here in this city--but I realize that choice probably isn't a realistic option for you. Obviously, the choice your family is about to make will be a difficult and critical one. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:

?????

Hey, Folks, maybe she's not a Democrat.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
My wife won't be happy in Dayton.
Oh, don't worry. There are Skyline Chili locations in Dayton, too.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:11 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, don't worry. There are Skyline Chili locations in Dayton, too.
Gold Stars too.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Quote:
I've heard similar remarks from other people relocating to jobs in Dayton. They either want to live in Cincinnati or Columbus and commute the (relatively) long distances between those cities and Dayton. You would be surprised after visiting how many people change their minds. At least the drive between Cincinnati and Dayton is more interesting than the one between Dayton and Columbus.

For one, the highway system between Cincinnati and Dayton is limited to just I-75. This really becomes a problem when there is bad weather, an accident, and/or (as of now) construction up and down its length. That is the difference between the marathon commutes of NOVA/DC/MD where there are plenty of options on alternate routes and the Cincinnati/Dayton run. It's something that my parents did back in the 90's (Woodbridge to Alexandria) and some of my family still does today (Mt. Airy, MD to DC )

There is a reason I-75 is constantly being widened, and it is because the existing roads cannot or did not keep up with the rapid development of Warren and Butler Counties. Same could be said for the side and back roads.

A good compromise here between work and Cincy would be Springboro. It still would not be the best commute because I-75 widening through downtown Dayton is projected to take another 2-3 years. That is the source for a number of backups and accidents going into and through downtown Dayton. Still, Springboro puts you that much closer to the amenities that Cincy has to offer.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:14 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
At least the drive between Cincinnati and Dayton is more interesting than the one between Dayton and Columbus.
Yeah. As in the Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times."

Old 10-29-2011, 08:24 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
wrightflyer... Springboro is a very nice place indeed, but it is still on the south side of Dayton and as most of us know I-75 in downtown Dayton has been a disaster since it was first built. Whether they will fix it this time around is anybody's guess.

The OP says his wife will not like Dayton, but it sounds like neither one of them have been there before so let's see what happens when they visit. Anyone coming from Dallas must have a warped view of life to begin with. One thing they should quickly notice is we actually have some green around here and real trees.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:47 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
(1) Reread #7 & #12 posts. Sarah Perry has already done the road math and kybrill has reaffirmed how unpredictable I-75 too often is;

(2) When in Dayton and/or Cincinnati, accept what is acceptable here--not what was previously acceptable in Dallas;

(3) Consider what inclement weather of the Midwestern kind can do to any expressway traffic all along I-75 from Dayton to Cincinnati;

(4) Realize that the heart of Cincinnati isn't in its northern periphery, but in its river core communities, which aren't so easily accessible from Dayton on a routine, daily basis.
(1) Even taking into consideration you meant posts #12 and #17, I'd like to ask you why you're paying more attention to what other people have said as opposed to what the OP has said. That's a problem with these boards...everyone wants to dictate to the OP (ANY OP when they start a thread) what is acceptable and what isn't, but as usual most of you are ignoring what the OP has indicated they are interested in and willing to accept. Instead you're trying to tell them what they SHOULD want - as if you all know him better than he knows himself. Why not for once....just ONCE on these boards...stop trying to insert your own ideas about what he would like and pay attention to what he has already stated he would want and is willing to accept?

(2) Who are you, or any of us, to dictate to him that he must accept what is acceptable here? If he's willing to make a 45-minute commute to Dayton, isn't that his right? Shouldn't we all be considerate of what he has already stated he wants in his posts, and go with that instead of molding him to our own ideas of what life should be like for him? Sheesh!

(3) A valid, though minor, concern. I understand he stated in the OP that he wanted to know how feasible the commute was between Dayton and Cincinnati, but if we consider the relatively few winter storms that hit to be the sole basis for making a decision about where to live in the region, then we'd all be living and working in downtown Dayton or downtown Cincinnati, where we could walk. How likely is THAT going to happen?

(4) You're assuming he's more interested in living in one of the core Cincinnati neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

That commute would get old right quick. Why kill yourself if you don't have to?
ANY commute can get old really quick. My point is that a 45-minute commute would be shorter than the 1-hour commute the OP is familiar with from Dallas. And besides, have you been to Dallas? Have you driven in Dallas? I have. ANY commute in the SW Ohio area is going to be a piece of cake comparatively speaking.

Quote:
All this squabble about 45 minutes commute. I once lived and worked in Nothern Virginia right by DC, My wife and I drove 42 miles each way. We did that for about 2 years, and it wasn't ridiculous. But thanks for the advice. I should be over there sometime next week, so we'll see.
Sorry...you shouldn't have to be subjected to this. Squabbling seems to be the most popular form of interaction here at the CD Ohio boards, and it's because everyone is too interested in promoting their own particular neighborhood instead of considering what the OP wants. If you don't tow the line here and agree with what someone in Cincinnati says, you're subject to scorn and ridicule from those who think Cincinnati is the end all/be all of American cities.

Quote:
If they do not come up to your expectations, then consider Dublin on the west side of Columbus. That should be within your 42 mile commute zone.
Hardly! Dublin is on the north side of Columbus, and much farther away from Needmore Road in Dayton than anything in northern Cincinnati....unless you consider 70 miles to be closer.

Those of you who think the OP would hate the I-75 commute during a winter storm (which, if I might add, isn't a frequent event)...try the I-70 commute after one of Ohio's ice storms which hits that corridor much more often than along I-75 south of Dayton.

Quote:
Anyone coming from Dallas must have a warped view of life to begin with. One thing they should quickly notice is we actually have some green around here and real trees.
Wow. What an insulting comment. And obviously spoken like someone who has never been to Dallas. The people in Dallas are a very gracious people, and have a very down-to-earth, friendly, accepting view of life. And the trees down there are very nice. Despite the long drought that Texas is enduring, I saw a LOT of lush green and very REAL and very BEAUTIFUL trees down there on my visit last month.

Yours, kjbrill, is the kind of comment that smacks of the snobbishness so inherent in most Cincinnatians who think no other place on earth can compare to here. That is SO wrong, and you really need to get away from here more often. SERIOUSLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati