Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times

Advertisements

Having visited Rochester several times in the snow, I can say Cincinnati's will not come close. And typically it does not stay very long, particularly on the streets.

20 mins. south of Dayton makes Middletown sound even better to me for the distance and cost of the commute. Lebanon is also a consideration. Both Middletown and Lebanon have older sections which should offer the type of housing you are looking for.

Dayton has suffered from a loss of businesses, specifically NCR and the automotive parts plants which have been shuttered. But the presence of WPAFB helps shore it up. I feel the downside vibes you are getting about Dayton are from complaints it has lost population due to these effects, but the same is true of Cincinnati. When your tax base erodes you must tighten your belt or soon everything begins to fall apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
Dayton has some good urban neighborhoods, too. Hopefully you are cross-posting on their board to get some recommendations.

Sorry I missed Hartwell, that was an oversight. It may be about perfect if you are commuting on 75. Plus, Empress Chili. MMMMMMMMMMMM

Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
I've started a thread in the Dayton forum. Its difficult to feel a place out when you have never lived there (or even been to). I have not received as much feedback on Dayton. But the Cincy info is going to be a huge help!

Does the 75 get backed up frequently?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Pretty much every day from 7-9 and 4:30 - 6:30

Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I've started a thread in the Dayton forum. Its difficult to feel a place out when you have never lived there (or even been to). I have not received as much feedback on Dayton. But the Cincy info is going to be a huge help!

Not only does it get backed up, but I-75 between Cincinnati and Dayton has been one of the most dangerous stretches of interstate in the county concerning accidents, deaths, etc. The current widening project, when completed whenever that is, may alleviate some of this. But it is not a stretch of highway I would want to travel daily.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:49 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,665 times
Quote:

That's partly because some of Dayton hangs around down here in Cincinnati for some reason or the other. Check both places. What's here may not be Cincinnati, either, but Butler County or Warren County (or even some others -- Clermont comes to mind, but it doesn't fit this thread).

Old 11-10-2011, 10:58 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,816 times
Quote:
I would be commuting 20 mins south of Dayton.
I'm a bit confused. Do you mean your workplace is 20 minutes south of Dayton? Or do you mean you don't want a commute that's longer than 20 minutes?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM

This person needs some time to digest all we have fed them. Obviously not all that familiar with Cincinnati, Dayton, or the I-75 corridor between. They indicate current location as Rochester, NY. Frankly that is like being in TimBukTu, though a very nice place. When I was working, if I could earn a living, I would consider Rochester a very good place to live. But the closest big town is Buffalo, 2nd closest Syracruse. Dayton probably equals either one of them.

Make your decision based on what you want out of your immediate residential neighborhood. Do not read too much into anything you are told. Pay attention and visit the neighborhood before you make a purchase.

I can only say we want your move to the Cincinnati/Dayton area to be a good experience for you. Whatever decision you make, the majority of us are only concerned about your welfare moving forward.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I'm a bit confused. Do you mean your workplace is 20 minutes south of Dayton? Or do you mean you don't want a commute that's longer than 20 minutes?
The workplace is 20 mins south of Dayton.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
This person needs some time to digest all we have fed them. Obviously not all that familiar with Cincinnati, Dayton, or the I-75 corridor between. They indicate current location as Rochester, NY. Frankly that is like being in TimBukTu, though a very nice place. When I was working, if I could earn a living, I would consider Rochester a very good place to live. But the closest big town is Buffalo, 2nd closest Syracruse. Dayton probably equals either one of them.

Make your decision based on what you want out of your immediate residential neighborhood. Do not read too much into anything you are told. Pay attention and visit the neighborhood before you make a purchase.

I can only say we want your move to the Cincinnati/Dayton area to be a good experience for you. Whatever decision you make, the majority of us are only concerned about your welfare moving forward.
Thanks! I'm sure I will have more questions when I visit. Worst case I get a mini vacation, I love to travel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati