Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,953 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to come in here and gloat after all the anti-streetcar abuse I've taken, but what the heck ...

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! YYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAA!!!!!!! HEEE HEEE HAAA HAAA!!!!! YIPPEE KI YAY!!!!! WHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! C'MON RIDE THE TRAIN!!!!!!
And, in the immortal words of Ozzy Osbourne: ALL ABOARD! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Thank you Cincinnati for again rejecting the backward, stone-age thinking of the stagnant do-nothing crowd and, again, taking a major step in moving this city forward! And for icing on the cake we elect a progressive, openly gay councilman, sweep out four divisive anti-rail Republicans from City Hall and say hello to a solid 7-person pro-rail majority. I'm so happy for this city!

Quite frankly, after rejecting this idiotic rail ban for the second time in three years, uniting every major group from the Enquirer, Herald and City Beat to the Business Courier, chamber of commerce and League of Women Voters and again giving the streetcar a beautiful green light, I'd say the project now has a mandate to move forward.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

So step aside all you negative haters like COAST and others, the train is passing you by!

Quad City Dj's - C'Mon 'N Ride It (The Train) - YouTube

Last edited by abr7rmj; 11-08-2011 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,828,412 times

The Gap Band - Party Train - YouTube

Old 11-09-2011, 03:47 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times
Great day for our beloved Cincinnati--we finally get the streetcar, place 7 pro-rail advocates on city-council, and take on the world! (except for one little problem--we allowed the fox back into the hen house, i.e., Chris Smitherman. OUCH! )

Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
The proponents can rejoice, as they won again. But I look at the margin of victory and have to comment it is not over yet. The opposition still has enough strength to make life miserable every inch of the way, just a fact.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 AM

kj - this was the streetcar opponents' best shot. If they couldn't derail it this time, in this poisoned political climate, in this economy, with non-stop WLW anti-streetcar rhetoric every day for the past six months, they never will.

Sorry, but they've been stripped of any and all credibility. They'll face a serious backlash if they try to fight it again. The people have spoken ... and re-spoken.

Cincinnati wants rail transit. This is indisputable fact.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,697 times
Don't forget it only passed by a very narrow margin.

And really, there's no need for gloating. It's not a very adult thing to do. Be humbly grateful instead. BUT....I'm glad to see you're in a good mood.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Don't forget it only passed by a very narrow margin.

And really, there's no need for gloating. It's not a very adult thing to do. Be humbly grateful instead. BUT....I'm glad to see you're in a good mood.
Sorry ... after being called stupid and a loser on this board as recently as yesterday for supporting the streetcar, I'm enjoying this.

And it passed by more than 2,000 votes, although I don't care if it had passed by a single vote. It's time to move this city significantly forward.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:04 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Sorry ... after being called stupid and a loser on this board as recently as yesterday for supporting the streetcar, I'm enjoying this.

And it passed by more than 2,000 votes, although I don't care if it had passed by a single vote. It's time to move this city significantly forward.
I hope it does move the city forward, and that the city somehow manages to bear the associated costs while still upgrading the other kinds of services that are going to be absolutely essential to revitalizing the CBD and OTR--and to any success the streetcar project itself might enjoy.

Yes, it's always a pleasure when something one feels strongly about gets an affirmative nod from the voters, and you're correct that in a sense it doesn't matter how slim the margin is. I think you're also correct this wil be the end of any legal manoeuvering, especially given the Dem sweep of the council races.

Speaking as someone with more life experience than you, though, you might want to heed that comment about gloating. As well as some advice that you not make excuses for your own less-than-gracious behavior based on something you think someone else has done. Sure, there's no particular down side for you WRT what you say on this board. But in the real world, people notice. And remember. Just sayin.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 AM

OK everyone let's stop with the holier-than-thou admonitions. This is an anonymous Internet message board, not "real life." And that's part of why I enjoy coming on here. Had Issue 48 passed, there would no doubt have been some scathing commentary from posters such as mircia (who boasts that no one on the planet, dead or alive, is to the right of him/her) and others taking absolute glee in the streetcar's demise. And that's fine ...

At the end of the day we all want the same thing, I hope, and that's a successful, vital and prospering city. No one wishes any ill will on anyone.

Now, let's all work together on moving this city forward. It's an exciting time and the potential is there - let's realize it.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Cincinnati wants rail transit. This is indisputable fact.
Glad you feel so confident, I look at the margin of victory and am not as confident. But I agree, the streetcar proponents won. While I dispute a streetcar is rail transit, I won't argue beyond there. So what is the next step? When will construction start? If there are existing plans why not immediately? Well we first have to install the new council. Why? If it was already agreed upon and plans drawn up, why not next week? And will they go with the last public proposal or scale it back even further? Once you put these politicians feet to the fire, anything is likely to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: