Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 23,599 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm moving to Cincinnati in January and I'm wondering where to live. I'm a 27 year old single male and am looking for an area with lots of young people and nightlife. I've heard that Mount Lookout, Hyde Park and Clifton are all good areas but they seem a bit far from the downtown area. Is the downtown area even good? Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:22 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryman View Post
Hi all!

I'm moving to Cincinnati in January and I'm wondering where to live. I'm a 27 year old single male and am looking for an area with lots of young people and nightlife. I've heard that Mount Lookout, Hyde Park and Clifton are all good areas but they seem a bit far from the downtown area. Is the downtown area even good? Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks
No not far. Too far to walk, but still not far. 10-15 mins. maybe. Those who are the advocates should be chiming in on the downtown situation. But give them a little more information as to rent/buy/budget/size, local off-street parking required, safety tolerance, etc. An indication of where you are coming from and your desires may help in identifying recommendations for here.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:39 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times
You know, we really need someone to write up a post about this subject and make it a sticky at the top of the forum. *MODS: hint hint*

"If you're young and single and looking for the IN places to live in Cincinnati, read this."

Seriously, no offense to the OP. But this same question is asked a thousand times in here, and the answers are always the same. So it would really help people and make it easier for them if they could simply go to a sticky and read that.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:21 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
You know, we really need someone to write up a post about this subject and make it a sticky at the top of the forum. *MODS: hint hint*

"If you're young and single and looking for the IN places to live in Cincinnati, read this."

Seriously, no offense to the OP. But this same question is asked a thousand times in here, and the answers are always the same. So it would really help people and make it easier for them if they could simply go to a sticky and read that.
Amen. We could use one on "where are the good school districts in the Cincinnati area" too.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:56 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Amen. We could use one on "where are the good school districts in the Cincinnati area" too.
I concur the same questions are asked over and over. But I don't believe anyone is capable of creating a Sticky on these subjects without a lot of bias coming in. I do believe some Stickies could be created on such subjects as Young single desiring to locate in urban environment -Information we need to know and Family desiring good schools -Information we need to know or similar. But even there, whoever tackles the initial sticky must be receptive to suggestions on how to improve. I am not sure a mechanism exists for that.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 23,599 times
I figured this question comes up a lot but I did have a look at other threads but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
No not far. Too far to walk, but still not far. 10-15 mins. maybe. Those who are the advocates should be chiming in on the downtown situation. But give them a little more information as to rent/buy/budget/size, local off-street parking required, safety tolerance, etc. An indication of where you are coming from and your desires may help in identifying recommendations for here.
I'll be looking to rent and budget isn't too much of a concern. I'm coming from New York so after paying rent there for 12 months I think I should be able to fund a nice place in Cincinnati. New York is pretty wild for nightlife and I realize it won't be the same but I would like to live close to a lively area that I can walk to, get my drink on and stumble home on weekends.

On another note I also have a big interest in playing soccer. Are there leagues or pickup soccer sessions in the area? I haven't looked into this one yet but if anyone knows something please let me know.

In terms of your sticky idea insightofitall why not start start a poll and get a whole lot of input on the main questions asked. The results could be stickied then.

I appreciate all the responses folks. Keep 'em coming.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:34 AM

55 posts, read 89,514 times
If Current @ the Banks isn't full at 100% occupancy in January, then this is a happening place to live.... you can certainly "get your drink on and stumble back home" with Holy Grail across the street and Johnny Rockets also. Moerlein Lager Haus will open in Feb 2012 - which will be another place to stumble home from. Good luck to you.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times
Quote:
I figured this question comes up a lot but I did have a look at other threads but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for

I'll be looking to rent and budget isn't too much of a concern. I'm coming from New York so after paying rent there for 12 months I think I should be able to fund a nice place in Cincinnati. New York is pretty wild for nightlife and I realize it won't be the same but I would like to live close to a lively area that I can walk to, get my drink on and stumble home on weekends.

On another note I also have a big interest in playing soccer. Are there leagues or pickup soccer sessions in the area? I haven't looked into this one yet but if anyone knows something please let me know.

In terms of your sticky idea insightofitall why not start start a poll and get a whole lot of input on the main questions asked. The results could be stickied then.

I appreciate all the responses folks. Keep 'em coming.
Well, a poll is limited to only one particular question and one particular demographic. What would be the question posed in the poll? What a 20-something single professional might be seeking could be significantly different from what a 40-something single professional wants out of a neighborhood. I'm not sure how a poll would work when what we are generally interested in doing is providing a one-stop thread where people could read an overview of the city, with answers to the most frequently asked questions that we see in this forum. For instance, a sticky could be broken into different sections, each addressing a specific situation:

"Where to look if you're a family seeking a suburban neighborhood with great schools...."

Mason, West Chester, Wyoming, etc...

"Where to look if you're a young single seeking quick access to nightlife and a walkable neighborhood..."

Over-The-Rhine, Mt. Adams, Clifton, The Banks, etc...

"Where to look if you don't want to live in the heart of town, but still want to be close to shops, parks, and services..."

Hyde Park, Mariemont, Green Township, Montgomery, etc...

"Where to look if you want a cheap apartment in a safe area..."

Oakley, Covedale, Norwood, Fairfield, etc...

"Where to look if you want to live on a tree-lined street filled with older homes..."

Clifton, Hyde Park, Wyoming, etc...

"Where to look if you're artsy and/or seeking a gay-friendly area..."

Northside, Clifton, etc...

"Where to look if you're conservative and want a mid-century home in an affordable, safe neighborhood..."

Delhi, Florence, Fairfield, etc...

Stuff like that...and more.

Anyway, it pretty much sounds like you'd be interested in Over-The-Rhine (or downtown in general), Mt. Adams, and Clifton.

As for your soccer interest, the only place I know where you'd find other like-minded individuals would be in the outer suburbs such as Anderson, West Chester, Liberty, Mason, etc. But those are all family-oriented areas that most younger people aren't interested in due to their relative lack of nightlife.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:08 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Mt Adams, Downtown, OTR and maybe Northside are good bets.

From sort of frat-like to the most off-beat, you could order them: Mt Adams, Downtown, Northside, OTR

OTR = Over the Rhine

Old 11-13-2011, 08:02 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
I would like to live close to a lively area that I can walk to, get my drink on and stumble home on weekends.
What you need to do is find a place off Hamilton Ave. in Northside between the Northside tavern and the Comet. They are the two best bars in Cincy hands down and I have spent a lot of time in both over the years.

Forget Hyde Park or Mt. Adams, it's too overpriced and stodgy for someone your age. Distance from downtown is a non factor unless you will be working there. Clifton is OK if you want to hang with college kids. Mt. Lookout as a place to party, doubtful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati