Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:07 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times

Advertisements

I would think P&G was thrilled so few Gillette people wanted to move to Cincinnati. That saved them a ton in relocation expenses and another ton in continuing benefit programs. The Gillette product line hardly requires a huge technical knowledge or sophisticated manufacturing processes. While a great brand name, it is now mostly marketing hype trying to convince people 5 blades in a razor do a superior job to 2. P&G has more than enough marketing talent to go around, and IAMS pet food likely requires more product development to keep up with competition than the Gillette products.

P&G likely had to extend the offer to the Gillette employees as part of the purchase agreement, and likely were surprised so few accepted, but in the background went Oh Yea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
No I did not. I never said 50% moved.
Right, you never claimed a specific number, just many. And I will totally agree, since even only 5% would be many. I personally know a dozen or so who made the move, since they would save on taxes, and their work location also being suburban they had no increase in transportation costs. But the urbanites do not want to agree you can both live and work in the country, as they are in constant denial.

Last edited by kjbrill; 02-07-2012 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: correct

Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 AM

307 posts, read 544,108 times
An article I read recently regarding Netflix and the scorn they faced in the media after they raised prices posed the following question, " if eveyone else in an idiot, why aren't I rich?"

Tons of talking heads, editors, etc calling a guy who created a new industry and is rather wealthy from it, yet he is an idiot while those who criticize are making significantly less money than he is. I'm going to bet that p&g finds there expenditures for relos to be money well spent. If anything it shows that people want culture and amenities and are not willing to live somewhere that they perceive these to be lacking, regardless of how much money is thrown at them.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Right, you never claimed a specific number, just many. And I will totally agree, since even only 5% would be many. I personally know a dozen or so who made the move, since they would save on taxes, and their work location also being suburban they had no increase in transportation costs. But the urbanites do not want to agree you can both live and work in the country, as they are in constant denial.

Some of the people I know moved from Anderson to just-over-the-border Clermont county. Their commute actually decreased slightly.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Again, moving somewhere rural for low taxes is a fool's errand. Intelligent people recognize that there are serious drawbacks to moving to low tax areas, and don't move their residences or businesses there. ...
Not really. Intelligent people realize what their priorities are in terms of resources like time and money. They settle in a place that best matches those priorities. The retired UC med school professor and his wife whom I know didn't suddenly become stupid when they sold their Hyde Park home and moved to a big log cabin in Adams County. They just got the lifestyle they wanted at a price they could afford. They've been there 5 or 6 years now and don't regret anything about the decision.

As another example, I guess if my husband and I both worked full-time, high-stress jobs we could afford the mortgage payment on a 500-square-foot condo in some high-cost urban area like Manhattan or San Francisco. By your reasoning, we're not very smart to choose instead to work a day or so a week and live in a 2,400-square-foot house in Cincinnati.

Seriously, at least try to recognize that your priorities are not everyone else's.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 AM

But if we realized our priorities where not eveyone else's than we couldn't argue about it all day and Internet message boards would cease to exist. That is the point of this place right?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 PM

465 posts, read 474,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
That is why many from eastern Hamilton county moved to western Clermont county over the past 15 years - lower property taxes.
No it isn't. They want to be near people like themselves and away from people who are not like them. All the rest is rationalization after the fact. People do what they want and then justify it as "economic".

Old 02-07-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
No it isn't. They want to be near people like themselves and away from people who are not like them. All the rest is rationalization after the fact. People do what they want and then justify it as "economic".
So the next thing I guess we will hear is they moved to Clermont Co. to be closer to their brethren who had moved from Appalachia to Clermont Co. years ago.

Matthew, your brand of logic is registered in a different layer of mentilty than I grew up in. Most everything I know about people is they desire to be surrounded by people they can relate to. But most of this is related to family, schools, current conditions, far more than historical origins. Those who relate it to historical origins are often bigots or whatever other name you want to place on their prejudices.

If you are trying to brand the people of Clermont Co. with this label, you are living in another century.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:33 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post

Show me proof of your theory.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:10 PM

Not that I want to reinforce Matthew's logic, self segregation is a pretty common thing. It's definitely something seen more heavily in newer immigrants communities but does still exist in cities with stronger ethnic ties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati