Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 AM

307 posts, read 543,688 times

Advertisements

Chem_guy,

It does seem to be a national trend of poverty increasing in suburban/exurban areas. While poverty is most often an urban problem it's more a societal issue. It could be argued that the services will follow there clients and not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:13 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
We had a thread on Glencoe Place once too. there is some really incredible housing up on that hillside around Jacksion Park and Innwood Park.

But my candidate for the best renovated neighborhood in the US would be Pendleton. It is an island, and would be perfectly secure and self contained but for the current residents who fail to appreciate what they have. The Franciscans are to blame. Them and Model Realty (slum lord).
Pendleton has it all. Views, anchors (Pendleton Art Center, Verdin Bell, SCPA Building). Lovely mostly unmolested housing. The city should condemn the entire neighborhood, take it all by emminent domain and do a massive renewal. It would be jewel of the City and maybe of the country.
A year ago my cousin bought a beautiful old place in Pendleton for a stunningly low price. He has a garage that was formerly a carriage house that has a finished upstairs and an unfinished attic. He is entertaining offers to lease the upstairs garage space to some artists, and he is renting out the third floor of the house itself to some very attractive nurses at Christ hospital and their rent is significantly higher than his mortgage payment. Being a young single guy with very little expenses or responsibilities, he is going nuts with renovations. I fully expect that he could sell his place for triple the cost he paid for it within five years. With all of the money he is saving and equity he is building, he can almost afford to eat at Nicola's (which he can see out his back window) every night. I am happy for his good fortune, but it may have motivated his older brother and me to give him a few extra bruises last week in our annual family Thanksgiving tackle football game.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
At lot of this revolves around the old not in my backyard you don't syndrome. When the Linder Center of HOPE was announced for Mason, located on the old Ted Gregory farm property, there was a huge outcry at locating a mental health center there. Linder prevailed by keeping his name on the facility, basically telling everyone I am not ashamed of it and neither should you. Now that it is opened, I have not heard one beep of negative comment. It is a beautiful facility.

Rejuvenation of the downtown residential core is a needed objective. But if that involves displacing current low income residents, there needs to be a plan for where they are to go. Just pushing them out and saying go fend for yourself is not good enough. And that plan needs to involve not only housing, but employment and transportation for getting to and from.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM

307 posts, read 543,688 times
With all this talk of plans for displaced residents how do individuals see it happening? I feel like its more an organic occurrence. I know 3cdc says they haven't renovated a building in otr that had residences. If anything the deterioration over time has displaced more poor folks than anything. I guess I don't see why we need govt involvement in something that is happening for the most part organically. You could stay busy rehabbing abandoned buildings for quite some time in OtR before you'd have to worry about kicking people out.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
So I'm thinking: I'm "Economically Disadvantaged' since I can only afford to live in an upscale suburb of Dayton instead of in a gentrified OTR building or an estate in Indian Hill.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
At lot of this revolves around the old not in my backyard you don't syndrome. When the Linder Center of HOPE was announced for Mason, located on the old Ted Gregory farm property, there was a huge outcry at locating a mental health center there. Linder prevailed by keeping his name on the facility, basically telling everyone I am not ashamed of it and neither should you. Now that it is opened, I have not heard one beep of negative comment. It is a beautiful facility.

Rejuvenation of the downtown residential core is a needed objective. But if that involves displacing current low income residents, there needs to be a plan for where they are to go. Just pushing them out and saying go fend for yourself is not good enough. And that plan needs to involve not only housing, but employment and transportation for getting to and from.
If I think as a typical Conservative WLW listener, I'd say you're fulla baloney. But, as a thinking, compassionate person, I believe you're absolutely right.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
So I'm thinking: I'm "Economically Disadvantaged' since I can only afford to live in an upscale suburb of Dayton instead of in a gentrified OTR building or an estate in Indian Hill.
As i said to Wilson513, a quarter of a million dollars for about two rooms next to a saloon. Remind me to relate my story of a former Centerville resident who moved into Dayton. That's where the "quaint" mentioned originated.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:18 PM

465 posts, read 473,869 times
Wow, those who are heavily invested in suburbia aren't taking these changes well. I suppose I wouldn't either, if the shoe were on the other foot.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:33 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
Chem_guy,

It does seem to be a national trend of poverty increasing in suburban/exurban areas. While poverty is most often an urban problem it's more a societal issue. It could be argued that the services will follow there clients and not the other way around.
I agree to some extent... exurbs are not really conducive to centralized services and bus routes, for example.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
Interesting thread. It makes me wish I had stuck it out in my Geography major instead of switching to something with a little more job security.

From what I know (which isn't much sadly), population migration is an inevitable circumstance of life in the United States. Development patterns allow for people to move where they want. It's free market capitalism.

I think you will see in most cities that are doing OK to well have this turnaround. It will be more prevalent in the northeast and Midwest than out west and in the south where there isn't as much "old" to redevelop. Smaller cities that don't have the population base to rehab inner cores (i.e. Dayton) won't see this change. It will hurt suburbs, especially inner ring ones, most because there isn't enough population to spread around. In other words, I think restorations analysis is pretty spot on in that with no new population to replace areas that are losing people to places like OTR, N. Avondale, etc and far out suburbs continuing but slower development someone has to lose. The losers here are inner ring suburbs. Of course, not all will have shifts in socioeconomic patterns, but some certainly will.

What will be interesting will be what direction development patterns will take when the economy really gets going again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati