Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times

Advertisements

The center of Fairfield to Northgate Mall is about 8.5 miles. Actual commute depends on where in Fairfield. I recommended Fairfield due to the fact it is safe and a large number of rentals. Of course if a suitable rental can be found in the immediate area of Northgate that would be ideal.

The OP indicated the husband would start out in the Northgate area and then likely be transfered to Florence within the year. With this in mind I would think the minimum achievable rent and shortest commitment period would be desirable. If the transfer to Florence does not materialize, after some time to get acquainted with the area they could look for more suitable digs. If the transfer to Florence does materialize they will undoubtedly want to be in a position to get out of their current apartment as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:13 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The center of Fairfield to Northgate Mall is about 8.5 miles. Actual commute depends on where in Fairfield. I recommended Fairfield due to the fact it is safe and a large number of rentals. Of course if a suitable rental can be found in the immediate area of Northgate that would be ideal...
Yep, kj, the mileage is a lot more precise and helpful than my "not all that close." I agree with you on Fairfield as safe--and it also has plenty of the daily retail everybody needs--but would also caution the OP to make the drive from there to Northgate area during rush hour as a test on the time it takes. It might be really sloooow. It's a drive my husband and I make with some frequency, although not at a time of day when a lot of people are commuting. Fairfield does have some substantial traffic due to its sprawly nature.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,543 times
The reason I suggested the Villages of Wildwood in Fairfeld is precisely because it's less than 2 miles to I-275, and less than 8 miles to Northgate. So you pretty much miss a lot of the heavier traffic in Fairfield, and it's close to shopping, the hospital, and several preschool/daycares in that area. I would also consider it to be safer than the Colerain area (although I'm sure the areas west of the mall are fine). I don't think the commute would be too much of an issue, even during rush hour. There are alternate routes that could be taken if traffic was too heavy, but I've never seen it so heavy on that section of I-275 that it actually slowed down too badly during rush hour. Between Colerain and Winton Road, you're only on it for 5 miles. It's not like going from downtown out to West Chester or Mason along I-75 or I-71.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:19 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times
Obviously I do not know the circumstances of their move. But to move to the Northgate area of NW Cincinnati and then be told you may be relocated to the SC area of NKY across the river within a year might have me a little upset. Again, I don't know the circumstances and do not want to presume. But my nature would make me a little pro-active in asking what are you going to do to protect me?

Double moving costs, potential long commute for a period of time, these things add up. I recognize in this economy you must do what you must do. If you don't ask you will not receive. I have known several people who have moved all over the country and come out smellng like a rose every time. But I also recognize they were never reluctant to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati