Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times

Advertisements

I would be remiss if I did not mention Cincinnati Incorporated over in Harrison Ohio just for their grittiness in staying in business. They are in a different industry segment than I was, but I have to congradulate them on hanging around. Hopefully they are coming back strong after the economic downturn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:13 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I would like to see others chime in here and state what they feel the future of Cincinnati holds, and why. I have more than lamented over the fact my lifetime career industry is no more. So what do you see as the new growth which will spread the name of Cincinnati across most of the globe, or even for that matter across most of the US.

Banking jobs seem to be taking over in Cincinnati.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Can someone with knowledge of the meat packing industry's tradition in Cincinnati and the moniker Porkopolis contribute something to why this is no more in Cincinnati? I know Indiana and Ohio still grow a lot of pork. So why did the processing industries leave? If you Google Porkopolis Cincinnati still pops up quickly.

We can talk about the past since it contributes to the culture of Cincinnati. But obviously what is most important is the future.

So once again, please speak up on what you think will make Cincinnati again a globablly recognized name and one of respect.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Can someone with knowledge of the meat packing industry's tradition in Cincinnati and the moniker Porkopolis contribute something to why this is no more in Cincinnati? I know Indiana and Ohio still grow a lot of pork. So why did the processing industries leave? If you Google Porkopolis Cincinnati still pops up quickly..
http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/a...rs/RL33002.pdf

Old 12-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Interesting article Sarah, and undoubtedly with a lot of truth. It is interesting how the large companies gain the upper hand by spreading out their facilities to avoid union organization. Meat processing/packing and other food processors need to be located near their suppliers to avoid spoilage of a perishable product, but I suspect the real reason is to be out in a rural environment.

When I read of improper practices in the chicken growing industry it just about turns me off chicken. And that is here in the good old USA. What about other countries, must be absoluely deplorable?

Old 12-20-2011, 05:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Can someone with knowledge of the meat packing industry's tradition in Cincinnati and the moniker Porkopolis contribute something to why this is no more in Cincinnati? I know Indiana and Ohio still grow a lot of pork. So why did the processing industries leave...
Before I read Sarah Perry's addition to this thread (and also confide that I'm no authority on "Porkopolis,"), I'd add that the western movement of both the railroads and the stockyards in the late 1800's made our operations here more costly and unnecessary. Essentially, didn't Cincinnati gradually cede the business to Omaha and other rail heads farther west?

Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Before I read Sarah Perry's addition to this thread (and also confide that I'm no authority on "Porkopolis,"), I'd add that the western movement of both the railroads and the stockyards in the late 1800's made our operations here more costly and unnecessary. Essentially, didn't Cincinnati gradually cede the business to Omaha and other rail heads farther west?
I think that is bascially true. But the information in the article Sarah contributed also likely is a big reason.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:14 AM

526 posts, read 1,481,529 times
Quote:
I would be remiss if I did not mention Cincinnati Incorporated over in Harrison Ohio just for their grittiness in staying in business. They are in a different industry segment than I was, but I have to congradulate them on hanging around.
Glad you did -- I was going to bring it up since I worked there once upon a time.

Like the other machine tool companys they have fallen on hard times. I received a letter a couple of months ago that their (and hence part of my) pension plan was under funded; they were no longer going to be able to pay lump sum distributions. - Not a good sign

Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Glad you did -- I was going to bring it up since I worked there once upon a time.

Like the other machine tool companys they have fallen on hard times. I received a letter a couple of months ago that their (and hence part of my) pension plan was under funded; they were no longer going to be able to pay lump sum distributions. - Not a good sign
One of the major points, the traditional pension plan, almost nonexistent for current workers. Far as I know mine is intact, but it is difficult to actually gualify. A few weeks ago we were invited to an open house at my old company, now Makino Inc. in Mason, for retirees. Over 450 people showed up to tour the facility and view the current product. This is a company which employs under 300 today. So lets say of the 450, 1/2 were actual retirees. This is still over 200 drawing pensions.

So in addition to the lack of long term employment, where are the retirement monies going to come from? We were told the 401K program including company contributions would be the answer. Because I could, I joined the 401K. First thing which happened with an economic downturn was the company suspended their contribution. Next thing which happened was the value of the 401K was decimated with drops in the financial markets. In 2003 I ended up recouping from the 401K less than what I had contributed over the prior 10 years.

Keep coming at me. Where is the next wave of Cincinnati famous product going to come from?

Last edited by kjbrill; 12-21-2011 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:

...Keep coming at me. Where is the next wave of Cincinnati famous product going to come from?
Remember the "CVG Debate," kjbrill? The answer to this question is every bit as complex and unable to be succinctly addressed as that one (and even moreso, perhaps). Don't misunderstand--it is indeed a worthy pursuit--that is, if the majority of posters: (1) stick to the topic; (2) keep abreast of the entire running commentary, rather than always just the last posts made; and (3) examine others' observations w/o undue malice. Sure, many of the comments (mine included) will be either naive, outlandish, or totally laughable (or just plain stupid). But if our notorious "media darling" Richard Florida hasn't yet answered the question about where Midwestern cities, etc., are going, I'm not sure we can either. Yes, kjbrill, as for myself, I would indeed like to tackle this one with you--but maybe we need to take it in bite-sized pieces.

P.S. I really DO have to break right now for a last burst of Xmas shopping, otherwise I'd unload some deep beliefs of my own on same...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati