Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,346 times

Advertisements

Here's a link about the hotel: The Banks developers hope to have hotel ready for 2015 All-Star Game - Cincinnati Business Courier

I haven't heard of any height disputes involving the hotel. I think you may be thinking of when dunnhumby was looking at building their new HQ at the Banks. They were talking about putting a 30 story tower there, which a lot of people didn't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 PM

109 posts, read 205,505 times
^ You might be right. Thankyou for the link. I bookmarked that one.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:10 PM

7 posts, read 10,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man About Town View Post
Wow. I didn't know there were tunnels under Cincy other than the ones built for subway use. Can any of those other tunnels be put to some sort of transit-related use?
I doubt it. They're not nearly big enough for that. It isn't a big connecting network (that I know of), but a bunch of individual pieces that served mostly brewing purposes. Even if they were, I doubt that they'd be considered large enough, or even structurally sound enough to handle any transportation.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
^ No, they weren't. They were all intended to be private storage-areas alone, rather than public transportation-modules.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ohio View Post
I doubt it. They're not nearly big enough for that. It isn't a big connecting network (that I know of), but a bunch of individual pieces that served mostly brewing purposes. Even if they were, I doubt that they'd be considered large enough, or even structurally sound enough to handle any transportation.
ANYTHING can be custom fit. But unless the feds make a new pilot program to revive such structures. I doubt anything would be put down the in the near future.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 PM

4 posts, read 4,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man About Town View Post
Wow. I didn't know there were tunnels under Cincy other than the ones built for subway use. Can any of those other tunnels be put to some sort of transit-related use?
They were used during prohibition to move alcohol around the area without having to have it hit the streets. They would move the booze all over OTR bringing it up to these bars that were in the backs of buildings, hidden from sight. There are tunnels connected buildings all over the OTR area from building to building, going under streets, etc... It's just that most of them have not been found, they tend to stumble onto them, or try to find hollow sounding walls. They'll find the large basements they didn't know they had and they are now slowly trying to clean up. Some will also have sub-basements. In the Christian Moerlein tour you can find out a lot about this. There is a building with a sub-basement they found by knocking out a section of the basement floor to see if there was anything under it and there was. There was a room with a 50ft ceiling underneath the basement. It's like finding a warehouse under your building, then cleaning it up and then finding an even bigger warehouse under that. Some of these are not small basements, some are very huge where you could probably host a wedding reception or have a night club. None of these are on any blue prints because they didn't want officials to know they were there. This is one of the problems with finding all of the passages and secret rooms.

There is no way these could be used for transportation, but if they could get all of these connected throughout OTR, it would be one of the coolest things ever to see.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:37 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanian View Post
They were used during prohibition to move alcohol around the area without having to have it hit the streets.
More accurately, the breweries built "lagering cellars", or tunnels, for beer storage -- before the advent of refrigeration and long before Prohibition.

They were quite common before electricity allowed large-scale refrigeration. Underground, temperatures were consistent and cool enough to ferment and store the beer.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
More accurately, the breweries built "lagering cellars", or tunnels, for beer storage -- before the advent of refrigeration and long before Prohibition.

They were quite common before electricity allowed large-scale refrigeration. Underground, temperatures were consistent and cool enough to ferment and store the beer.
Yes, you are correct that they did have large cellars for refrigeration of the beer because it was the perfect temperature. Cincinnati was a big beer brewing city and it required many of these cellars for this purpose. Although that was not why the tunnels or other large cellars were built. They did build them to move alcohol around the city without hitting the streets. Cincinnati wasn't going to stop drinking just because the federal government said to stop, lol.

I always heard the same thing when it came to the cellars under OTR, but until I went on the tour, they said the network of tunnels and the other cellars were built during prohibition. Go on one of the Christian Moerlein tours, they actually explain all of this. If they are wrong, then you can question them on this. If I misunderstood them, then I guess I should've recorded the tour, lol. Actually that would've been a nice idea since things do sometimes get skewed. The tour is free and it is fun. I'm actually thinking of going back soon so I can have more questions answered. The guy was actually very knowledgeable.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
"These various tours are 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours long and visit two or three historic pre-Prohibition breweries, including long abandoned lagering cellars and tunnels 30-40 feet below ground."

OTR Brewery District | Cincinnati, OH

Old 07-06-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
"These various tours are 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours long and visit two or three historic pre-Prohibition breweries, including long abandoned lagering cellars and tunnels 30-40 feet below ground."

OTR Brewery District | Cincinnati, OH
That is so cool. I want to go on one of these tours now too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati