Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:18 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
You can get Tony's Creole seasoning at Kroger. Honestly, probably any creole blend would do... I haven't really done a comparison. I like Tony's because I like the "heat" level of the spice and the flavor really compliments eggs, apples, meat, whatever.
A good straight honest reply. I had gotten away from the creole seasonings, not sure why. I need to give Tony's another try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelent View Post
Tastefully Simple's 'Garlic Garlic'!
Looked it up. Am I right it is a dehydrated blend of spices, including garlic. What do you prefer over fresh crushed galic cloves, the convenience or what? I will admit I buy the crushed garlic in the jar, as using my own garlic press is a pain. Problem is, I buy the large jar and the potency is significantly reduced before I use it all up. Guess I should just buy a smaller jar.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:37 AM

Yea, everyone must have a list of favored spices/condiments depending on the food style.

Someone mentioned horseradish. I love horseradish in any kind of seafood cocktail sauce for dipping shrimp, etc. I also want it on a grilled bratwursat, the Cincinnati pork based grey one, not the Wisconsin Italian sausage type. I also like it on a corned beef sandwich. Unless I am going to take the time to make a Reuben, with the melted cheese, sauerkraut, and the Thousand Island dressing which just seems to fit, some cold corned beef on rye with a slathering of horseradish and I am good. I like Meyers course ground brand.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:35 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
Chipotle ground pepper - it adds a smokey flavor as well as heat.
Great with many beef dishes, added to hummus or buttery mashed potatoes ... mmmm.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 PM

71 posts, read 191,988 times
sour cream on just about anything

Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 AM

74 posts, read 189,013 times
Hi, I used to use fresh garlic and still do sometimes, if I want to sauté it. I hate peeling it because it is sticky. I too admit to buying the crushed garlic in the jar! But it seems I need a lot of it to create a strong flavor. I used to get the medium sized jar.

I love the TS Garlic because it has a very strong and unique flavor and you only need a little.

In something smooth, like pasta sauce I use powered garlic because the TS Garlic is very coarse.

I do like most of their seasonings and they are all very pronounced and you only need a little. They go very far, seem to stay potent and come in large jars so the price as compared to supermarket spices in smaller jars are certainly comparable.

Many of them also make great quick dips. If someone comes over just throw some seasoning in with combos of mayo, cram cheese, sour cream, depending on what you have on hand, and viola, a dip!

I might also mention that my 8 year old has discovered Texas Pete and it putting it on a lot of things! She does love her heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Looked it up. Am I right it is a dehydrated blend of spices, including garlic. What do you prefer over fresh crushed galic cloves, the convenience or what? I will admit I buy the crushed garlic in the jar, as using my own garlic press is a pain. Problem is, I buy the large jar and the potency is significantly reduced before I use it all up. Guess I should just buy a smaller jar.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
No, not "jarred" garlic! Tried it & hated it.
Food Network hint: SMASH garlic. Buy a head for 60 cents, separate the cloves, & then SMASH that clove out of it's paper skin: it will melt into most everything, when smashed by the side of a big knife on a cutting board..
I tried that convenient jarred garlic & SOOOO hated it, both in taste & texture.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:28 PM

I mentioned Reubens a couple of posts back. Just got back from the store, was thinking what have we not had for awhile. Reubens popped into my mind, so that is for dinner tonight. Got the whole nine yards, the Klosterman dark rye, swiss, corned beef, fresh sauerkraut, and thousand island for the topping. It is going to be a good evening in our household tonight. Insured I bought enough corned beef to have some left over for cold lunch sandwiches, when I will break out the horseradish.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:48 PM

When I started this thread, I forgot that people will have several spices/condiments they enjoy on a regular basis. When I saw the comment on sour cream, I went OH YEA!

Probably my favorite summer meal is a nice steak grilled out with a large, load it up baked potato. After I squeeze the potato to make it break up internally, my idea of loading it up is both butter and sour cream. Then pour on the shredded cheese while it is still warm enough to melt the cheese. Put some shredded parsley, bacon shreds, you name it on top and it will rival anything you can buy in a restaurant in Cincinnati, no make that anywhere in the US.

This is an ineresting thread, as it has already reminded me there are several items I use on a regular basis so it is rather unfair to ask for just your favorite. But otherwise, we would get a list too unwieldly to handle.

But so many items have already been mentioned where I go OH YES I LIKE THAT TOO. We are fortunate to live in an area with such a concentration of foreign born immigrants coming here from all over the globe, where the local cuisine is a composite. Whether you think so or not, Cincinnati does not have a single epicure heritage, it has several, and we all all richer due to it.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,172 times
Salsa! The hotter and chunkier the better. Local brands are generally the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati