Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,279,630 times

Advertisements

I think pro sports are a bubble, especially the NFL and NBA. All of the money these days comes from TV contracts, which falls back on advertisers. Advertisers spend big bucks because they think millions of people are watching their ads. Except for maybe the superbowl, I don't know anyone who actually watches the commercials. If people start getting their programming over the internet and moving away from cable TV like some are predicting, I see all kinds of revenue streams falling apart.

NCAA sports are going the direction of boxing. The NCAA is corrupt and driven by profit more than producing a good product, and people are starting to get fed up. From shady bowl game deals to drastic conference realignments to arbitrary enforcement of eligibility/recruiting, traditions are dying and major sports are looking more like minor leagues pro teams with a university logo. I have essentially free season tickets to all UC and Xavier home games in all sports, but I haven't gone to one in over two years. Football is a way of life in the south, and baseball is very popular in a few major cities with long traditions, but I think the overall interest in pro sports nationwide is waning, despite a strong effort from advertisers to drum up interest, at the same time salaries are increasing. It doesn't take an economist to recognize that this is going to cause problems in the future.

I don't think that an NBA franchise would relocate to Cincinnati because I don't think anyone would be willing to invest in the infrastructure to build an arena, and even if they did we would not come close to filling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 09:50 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,447,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I think pro sports are a bubble, especially the NFL and NBA. All of the money these days comes from TV contracts, which falls back on advertisers. Advertisers spend big bucks because they think millions of people are watching their ads. Except for maybe the superbowl, I don't know anyone who actually watches the commercials. If people start getting their programming over the internet and moving away from cable TV like some are predicting, I see all kinds of revenue streams falling apart.

NCAA sports are going the direction of boxing. The NCAA is corrupt and driven by profit more than producing a good product, and people are starting to get fed up. From shady bowl game deals to drastic conference realignments to arbitrary enforcement of eligibility/recruiting, traditions are dying and major sports are looking more like minor leagues pro teams with a university logo. I have essentially free season tickets to all UC and Xavier home games in all sports, but I haven't gone to one in over two years. Football is a way of life in the south, and baseball is very popular in a few major cities with long traditions, but I think the overall interest in pro sports nationwide is waning, despite a strong effort from advertisers to drum up interest, at the same time salaries are increasing. It doesn't take an economist to recognize that this is going to cause problems in the future.

I don't think that an NBA franchise would relocate to Cincinnati because I don't think anyone would be willing to invest in the infrastructure to build an arena, and even if they did we would not come close to filling it.
It would be full if the team was a winner. This is a metro of more than 2.2 million people; add Dayton and it tops 3 million. That is enough population to support an NBA or NHL team. But the team has to win. In fact, this city is starving for a team that consistently wins year in and year out and would support a team that did.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM

800 posts, read 944,361 times
I think Hamilton County would support a plan to build a new arena that would have UC as a signed tenant, and would pursue an NBA or NHL team. However, I doubt that UC would support such a shared situation, unless the new arena was on the UC campus. Yes, there is enough space on UC's campus for a full arena on the little-used Sigma Sigma Commons. Alternatively, the EPA could be given the boot and that high profile property could become an arena.

Traffic concerns are a non-issue, since either location would be on MLK, the area's biggest street, and 30K people somehow get to Nippert as-is.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,702,627 times
But 30K people get to Nippert how many times a year? That is a far cry from what is required to support an NBA or NHL team. Forget it, it is just not going to happen.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:31 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,138,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yea, I had a brain malfunction. The team didn't move, they just lost their superstar. I guess that's why I momentarily thought the Cavaliers had left. But looking at the record, I can see why I thought the team left town.
So, by that, I guess you would think that any team that isn't the Bulls, Celtics, or Lakers has left town? If you would drop your cynicism for a millisecond, you might find that the Cavs have quite a dynamic young team brewing.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:54 PM

682 posts, read 1,571,630 times
I would give this about a .0001% chance of happening. Consider the following:

1. The area is massively in debt from the football and basketball stadiums;
2. Besides Seattle, there are viable cities with available stadiums in Anaheim, Kansas City, and San Jose (off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others)
3. The appetite for creating another small-ish market with three or more major sports franchises is very low right now (meaning, the Bengals and Reds would line up against it).

Cincinnati is a great area and it has been doing relatively well of late. I'd hate to see it get bogged down with a 3rd major sports franchise right now.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I think Hamilton County would support a plan to build a new arena that would have UC as a signed tenant, and would pursue an NBA or NHL team. However, I doubt that UC would support such a shared situation, unless the new arena was on the UC campus. Yes, there is enough space on UC's campus for a full arena on the little-used Sigma Sigma Commons. Alternatively, the EPA could be given the boot and that high profile property could become an arena.

Traffic concerns are a non-issue, since either location would be on MLK, the area's biggest street, and 30K people somehow get to Nippert as-is.
Here are the schools in UC's own conference that share an off-campus arena with a pro team or other non-school events: Marquette, Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, South Florida, Louisville, Providence, Depaul and now Memphis. And all have better home attendance than UC. There's no reason to think UC wouldn't be amicable to a similar setup here. Put the new arena somewhere in the downtown core, UC can play all there games there, tear down Fifth Third for much-needed campus breathing room, then go about trying to attract an NBA or (preferably) NHL team.

A new arena will eventually happen. Just not anytime soon.

Cleveland_Collector: kjbrill drop his cynicism? That'll be a glorious day.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:01 PM

16,361 posts, read 30,070,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Here are the schools in UC's own conference that share an off-campus arena with a pro team or other non-school events: Marquette, Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, South Florida, Louisville, Providence, Depaul and now Memphis. And all have better home attendance than UC. There's no reason to think UC wouldn't be amicable to a similar setup here. Put the new arena somewhere in the downtown core, UC can play all there games there, tear down Fifth Third for much-needed campus breathing room, then go about trying to attract an NBA or (preferably) NHL team.

A new arena will eventually happen. Just not anytime soon.
DePaul is looking for a new arena ON-CAMPUS and has for years. Allstate Arena is over twenty miles OFF CAMPUS. They draw about 8,500 in an arena where WWE routinely draws 22,000.

Attendance Policy: Students blame team's poor performance, city life for lack of interest - Sports - The DePaulia - The student newspaper of DePaul University

Old 02-11-2012, 03:24 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,356,547 times
With two great college basketball teams in town, and 10 great teams in driving distance, I cannot imaging why anyone would want to see an NBA game. The best of these teams are so boring that I don't think I have watch 10 minutes of a regular season NBA game in 20 years.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
DePaul is looking for a new arena ON-CAMPUS and has for years. Allstate Arena is over twenty miles OFF CAMPUS. They draw about 8,500 in an arena where WWE routinely draws 22,000.

Attendance Policy: Students blame team's poor performance, city life for lack of interest - Sports - The DePaulia - The student newspaper of DePaul University
Well, 20 miles is a little ridiculous. Those other schools I mentioned don't play that far from campus, and none really have trouble attracting fans. Depaul, who's been dreadful for the better part of the last 15 years, may want to have a winning season or two before they start blaming arena location on their lack of fan support in a city that has multiple other pro and college options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati