Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:07 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
That is also a great point... NBA franchises generally need to control the arena and related revenue streams to be viable.

Interesting discussion... and I'd say the recent example of moving an NBA to a college hoops mecca (Charlotte) has not been one that the NBA would be eager to try again.

Overall, as someone living in a metro area that has surpassed Cincinnati in population (no offense, but spare me the Dayton discussion) and is stuck with only one big 4 franchise, I would say you should count your blessings that you have NFL and NBA locally along with many, many other teams within a half day's driving range.
The NBA did try it again, in Charlotte no less. The Charlotte Hornets left the city in 2002; the current Charlotte Bobcats moved in a couple of years later.

Unfortunately for Charlotte, the Bobcats have been historically bad since their inception. Much like the Blue Jackets in Columbus, all the fans of the franchise have known is chronic losing, albeit in a state-of-the-art arena. Should the Bobcats ever win like the Hornets did for a time, the fans would flock in droves.

And no one is going to spare you Dayton, since its south suburbs virtually touch Cincinnati's northern suburbs and the combined cities are increasingly one MSA. Cincinnati and Dayton are allowed to work together for the betterment of the region just as many other cities do. As for Portland, where I assume you live, it's a much different culture there than in eastern cities. Look at your neighbor Seattle: It's a mammoth city without an NHL team and it lost its NBA team. Los Angeles, for crying out loud, has been without the NFL for years and few there seem to really care. The only Western city where sports is truly valued is Denver.

And Cincinnati has NFL and MLB, not the NBA. It's a growing metro with more than 2.2 million people in a region with a few million more, and we should count ourselves lucky to have a baseball team we've had since 1869 and a football team we've had since 1968? Whatever ...

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-14-2012 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
^ How many F500 companies Portland have? What 1 or 2? Portland should be counting it blessing as well to have even one team with so few Corporate companies.

Last edited by unusualfire; 02-14-2012 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post

Overall, as someone living in a metro area that has surpassed Cincinnati in population (no offense, but spare me the Dayton discussion) and is stuck with only one big 4 franchise, I would say you should count your blessings that you have NFL and NBA locally along with many, many other teams within a half day's driving range.
Spare you in what way, my friend? What part of "Cin-Day" don't you understand? ()

Old 02-14-2012, 04:29 PM

583 posts, read 884,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I don't think we'll have one soon either. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility that we will one day. Maybe in Covington - I'd support that.

Indy's Conseco Fieldhouse, where the Pacers play, is one of the crown jewels of that city. It's more than just the home of pro basketball: It hosts the Big Ten basketball tournament, college games, concerts, conventions, etc. None of which would be possible without having the NBA there as the primary tenant. In case you haven't been there recently, it has been a boon to downtown Indy and the entire region.
Conseco Fieldhouse has had no proven economic benefit to Indianapolis.

The Simons get all the money from every event held there. The taxpayers have to pay the Simons millions, every year, to have the team play in Indianapolis, and the taxpayers pay all the utilities and maintenance on the stadium.

The NBA has been a bad deal for Indianapolis.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:50 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post

The Simons get all the money from every event held there. The taxpayers have to pay the Simons millions, every year, to have the team play in Indianapolis, and the taxpayers pay all the utilities and maintenance on the stadium.

What do you know, the major league sports are nothing but a drain on the cities where they resde. But it sometimes takes decades for people to wake up and realize this.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:53 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post

Funny, only one Simon left.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
What do you know, the major league sports are nothing but a drain on the cities where they resde. But it sometimes takes decades for people to wake up and realize this.
Your blanket statements are just absurd.

Why don't we just dissolve all major league teams and then maybe other cities will follow suit? First, we'll kick out the Reds and Bengals and put up a symbolic wall that we don't ever want any replacement teams to consider Cincinnati. Then we'll demolish the stadiums just so they know how unwelcome they are. Then we'll tell concert tours like Paul McCartney (whose appearance you were opposed to last summer) that we don't want them to consider us either. We can tear down The Banks, since that development depends on the stadiums. Then we can take it a step further and tell any and all potential visitors and tourists to move along ... there's nothing here for them. How about that?

By the way ... after the week that Indianapolis just enjoyed, which included more than $150 million in direct spending by visitors to city and priceless positive national and international publicity, I don't think anyone there is wishing they didn't have pro sports. Not to mention, Conseco Fieldhouse is widely regarded as one of the very best sports venues in the world. To say the NBA has been bad for Indy is laughable.

Outside of Indy's version of kjbrill, I doubt there is anyone complaining.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-14-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,721 times
No way the NBA or the NHL is coming to Cincy. The reason is that we are one of the smallest major league markets in the entire country. We don't have the fan base to support these leagues. If the Reds or Bengals leave, we will never get one back....

Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23145tp View Post
No way the NBA or the NHL is coming to Cincy. The reason is that we are one of the smallest major league markets in the entire country. We don't have the fan base to support these leagues. If the Reds or Bengals leave, we will never get one back....
I am not sure we are that small of a market. But I do agree if the taxpayers have to support the team like the Pacers in Indianapolis that is plain wrong. Historically the Reds have drawn quite a bit of their attendance from the surrounding area such as Dayton, Lexington, Columbus and points in between.

But with teams like Ohio State and UK why would anyone want to travel to Cincinnati to an NBA game?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23145tp View Post
It's amazing that some people actually believe this. The following metro areas have one or more professional sports team and are smaller than Cincinnati:

- Cleveland (NFL, MLB, NBA)
- Kansas City (NFL, MLB, MLS)
- San Jose (NHL)
- Columbus (NHL, MLS)
- Charlotte (NFL, NBA)
- Indianapolis (NFL, NBA)
- Nashville (NFL, NHL)
- Milwaukee (MLB, NBA)
- Jacksonville (NFL)
- Memphis (NBA)
- Oklahoma City (NBA)
- New Orleans (NFL, NBA)
- Raleigh (NHL)
- Salt Lake City (NBA, MLS)

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, you're free to go on thinking whatever you want.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-15-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati