Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times

Advertisements

Yes, Cheviot and Amberley Village do represent two separate governmental entities which are within the CPS district. Thanks for pointing them out.

Some of the notables totally surrounded by Cincinnati, but having their own school districts would be of course Norwood and St Bernard-Elmwood Place.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Another thread that has devolved into a discussion about the city versus the suburbs. Why am I not surprised?

Cincinnati is not becoming second fiddle to Columbus. Outside of the state, Columbus has yet to shed its image of being an overgrown college cowtown. From my experiences, a lot of people place Columbus in the same category as cities such as Madison, WI and Ann Arbor, MI; albeit not accurate. Columbus is a great city however, but it is not taken seriously as a contender of "real cities" by many people, even within Ohio. You never or rarely hear anyone inquiring whether or not Cincinnati is a real city. With Columbus, that is not so much the case since a lot of people have no clue about Columbus outside of OSU.

I never hear anyone in Michigan comparing Ann Arbor to Columbus. Lansing to Columbus maybe.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 AM

364 posts, read 715,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I never hear anyone in Michigan comparing Ann Arbor to Columbus. Lansing to Columbus maybe.
Not many people give thought to any of those cities, but they are often lumped together since they are home to large Big Ten schools. And Michigan State often trails in the shadows of the University of Michigan, so a lot of people usually think of Ann Arbor before giving thought to Lansing.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Not many people give thought to any of those cities, but they are often lumped together since they are home to large Big Ten schools. And Michigan State often trails in the shadows of the University of Michigan, so a lot of people usually think of Ann Arbor before giving thought to Lansing.
Michigan State's campus is far more impressive and picturesque than Michigan's. OSU's is also. I was never impressed with Ann Arbor at all.

I've been to all the Big Ten campuses except Penn State and I would put Michigan State and Iowa as the top two. Nebraska is the worst.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:01 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
And I would hardly call Norwood suburban. If your definition of suburban is anything outside Cincinnati then we are speaking two separate languages, and I would encourage you to read up on the topic a little so you can see where I am coming from.
You guys want some real fun arguing over what is and isn't a suburb, come on over to the urban planning forum! I guarantee you won't be bored. LOL

And I think anyone with common sense would agree that while Norwood does indeed have some urban aspects to it, it is most definitely a suburb of Cincinnati.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
it is most definitely a suburb of Cincinnati.
Not to sound as though I am zeroing in on you Ohiogirl81, I am just stating in the overall context.

When I speak of urban area I am following the Census Bureau logic that concentrates on population density, amenities, etc. They do that to get a better handle on true population, transcending all the local squabbles that come with various cities, municipalities, etc.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,370 times
Norwood is a suburb, but is not suburban at all. It's actually more urban than some parts of Cincy proper. Same for Elmwood and St. Bernard.

Oh wait, I already said that.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:33 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You guys want some real fun arguing over what is and isn't a suburb, come on over to the urban planning forum! I guarantee you won't be bored. LOL

And I think anyone with common sense would agree that while Norwood does indeed have some urban aspects to it, it is most definitely a suburb of Cincinnati.
Norwood, like St. Bernard, is completely surrounded on all sides by the City of Cincinnati. Calling it suburban is a bit of a stretch. But then again, Vatican City is its own country.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Norwood, like St. Bernard, is completely surrounded on all sides by the City of Cincinnati. Calling it suburban is a bit of a stretch. But then again, Vatican City is its own country.
It's no secret that Norwood is an "inland island" in great transition. Not all that long ago Norwood was one of the fortresses of blue collar, redneck, white racist Cincinnati. For ages, many black citizens even feared crossing Dana Ave north and avoided traveling through the community, except in numbers and at high speed. (Sorry to say, their fear of Norwood was not unwarranted.) Today, this "stronghold of yesteryear" no longer exists.

Last edited by motorman; 04-04-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I think we long ago dispelled that notion. That's why this thread has spiraled into other areas, because its original premise was proven incorrect.
That's really too bad--mainly because some our most ingenious and hilarious thinking stemmed from our combined efforts to topple a common enemy. Pray tell, just who are we going to combat now, if it isn't COLUMBUS (?)

Last edited by motorman; 04-04-2012 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati