Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You know, Columbus would have an MLB team if it wasn't for Marge.
Along those lines, if my aunt had nuts she would be my uncle.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
Sports seem to be very important to you, so........when will Cincinnati host NCAA tournament games like Columbus did this year, and in 2004 and 2007 and probably again in another 3 or 4 years. Any chance Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson are in Cincinnati for a tournament this year? I'll see them in Dublin at the Memorial, but wasn't sure about the PGA tour stop in Cincy.
Oh, I keep confusing your PGA tour stop with the one in Akron. I didn't know the tour visits such elite cities. Some other PGA tour stops in 2012: White Sulfur Springs, W.Va.; Silvis, Ill. (outside of Davenport, Iowa); and Madison, Miss.

Any chance Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams or Maria Sharapova have ever even heard of Columbus? Doubtful. They do, however, play every year in the internationally televised Cincinnati Masters. Outside of the four grand slams, the nine Masters tournaments are the most important in the world. Cincinnati joins eight other cities by hosting annual Masters tournaments: Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome, Shanghai, Montreal, Los Angeles and Paris.

But hey, Columbus, Akron and Davenport all have golf!

Moving on ... any NASCAR Sprint Cup or Indy races around Cowlumbus this year? No, you'd have to come to the Cincinnati area for that too.

Our very own Turfway Park is one of the most important tracks in the horse racing industry. The latest HANA rankings put it No. 6 nationally behind Churchill Downs, Keeneland and just three others.

We have multiple major Div. 1 universities that compete in the Big East, Atlantic 10, MAC and Atlantic Sun conferences.

And we're hardly hurting in NCAA tournaments around here, thanks. The Cincinnati/Dayton region hosts plenty of NCAA games - far more than Cowlumbus could ever dream of. UD Arena hosts the First Four every year and the NCAA second/third rounds next year and every four years. UD Arena is, by far, the best college basketball venue in Ohio and the NCAA rightfully awards it frequent tournaments, including the women's regionals just last year.

And NKU (Fort Thomas, Ky., eight miles from Fountain Square) just hosted the Elite 8, Final Four and national championship of Div. II NCAA basketball, won by Western Washington University.

I'm not sure how much more you want us to host down here, but thanks for the thought.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 04-06-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM

^^ I think I hear the sound of bubbles bursting after all that. I bet they come back with more census information. Seems that's all they keep running back to.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Let's see how long the Memorial lasts once Jack hangs it up. I am not sure he will push it as long as Arnie has. They have both been great for the game, but now I feel they are being used beyond just being acknowledged. I remember seeing shots of Byron Nelson in his wheelchair off the green looking like he was about to keel over. I don't believe Jack wants to be remembered like that.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 PM

490 posts, read 864,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Oh, I keep confusing your PGA tour stop with the one in Akron. I didn't know the tour visits such elite cities. Some other PGA tour stops in 2012: White Sulfur Springs, W.Va.; Silvis, Ill. (outside of Davenport, Iowa); and Madison, Miss.

Any chance Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams or Maria Sharapova have ever even heard of Columbus? Doubtful. They do, however, play every year in the internationally televised Cincinnati Masters. Outside of the four grand slams, the nine Masters tournaments are the most important in the world. Cincinnati joins eight other cities by hosting annual Masters tournaments: Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome, Shanghai, Montreal, Los Angeles and Paris.

But hey, Columbus, Akron, and Davenport all have golf!

Moving on ... any NASCAR Sprint Cup or Indy races around Cowlumbus this year? No, you'd have to come to the Cincinnati area for that too.

And we're hardly hurting in NCAA tournaments around here, thanks. The Cincinnati/Dayton region hosts plenty of NCAA games - far more than Cowlumbus could ever dream of. UD Arena hosts the First Four every year and the NCAA second/third rounds next year and every four years. UD Arena is, by far, the best college basketball venue in Ohio and the NCAA rightfully awards it frequent tournaments, including the women's regionals just last year.

And NKU (Fort Thomas, Ky., eight miles from Fountain Square) just hosted the Elite 8, Final Four and national championship of Div. II NCAA basketball, won by Western Washington University.

I'm not sure how much more you want us to host down here, but thanks for the thought.
NASCAR - congrats. You're right up there with Talladega, Alabama and many other happening towns. Wear your finest jorts.

Dayton's not much further from Columbus than it is from Cincinnati, but if you want to claim it, by all means. UD Arena is very nice, though I'm not sure it's any nicer than the Schottenstein Center. UD fans are probably the best college hoops fans though, particularly when you consider they haven't been a basketball power since the Don Donoher years. Columbus has the women's regional finals next year.

As for the NCAA Divsion II finals at NKU, there were about 3500 people there for the championship. I guess that's something.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Dayton's not much further from Columbus than it is from Cincinnati, but if you want to claim it, by all means.
Dayton and Cincinnati have grown together. Along I-70 there is nothing to connect Dayton and Columbus. Except cows.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So motorman's posting in the Columbus forum is a concession to Columbus superiority?
Absolutely! I switch over to the Columbus Forum first of all for the facts, my man! Nothing like scrolling down through all that "C-Bus Development Snooz" (oops, I mean"News") so I can KNOW: (1) where the latest hamburger stand's being built; (2) what corner the latest gas station's gonna be on; (3) when the biggest Walmart will open; (3) what bowling alley will feature a full dinner menu; (4) which Fortune 100 pawn shop will move into the CBD; (5) when the next parking garage will rise in the center of High St; (6) what national discount store will relocate next to McDonalds; (7) which Fortune 1000 company will erect a seven-story skyscraper next to the pawn shop; (8) what Cricket outlet became the capital's top retailer; (9) what TacoBell became the metro's 475th international restaurant; and (10) which tattoo-parlor will rejuvenate Broad Street... Needless to say, I have spent many hours here trying to determine what gives C-Bus that competitive edge and I have come away humbled, now KNOWING what makes our capital the economic powerhouse it is... (more)

Old 04-06-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
NASCAR - congrats. You're right up there with Talladega, Alabama and many other happening towns. Wear your finest jorts.

Dayton's not much further from Columbus than it is from Cincinnati, but if you want to claim it, by all means. UD Arena is very nice, though I'm not sure it's any nicer than the Schottenstein Center. UD fans are probably the best college hoops fans though, particularly when you consider they haven't been a basketball power since the Don Donoher years. Columbus has the women's regional finals next year.

As for the NCAA Divsion II finals at NKU, there were about 3500 people there for the championship. I guess that's something.
I've heard libraries that get louder than Value City Arena. Old St. John's Arena was a classic and great venue and among the best in the country. Value City a cruel joke that drains the life out of fans behind the baskets or in the upper deck. College basketball shouldn't be played in generic hockey arenas.

There would have been 3,500 at the NCAA Div. II games no matter where they were held - including New York City. If the schools don't care enough to bring the fans, it's hard to expect anyone else to care.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
And Atlanta. And Phoenix. And Chicago. And Kansas City. And Las Vegas. And Charlotte. And Miami. And Dallas. And Indianapolis. And San Francisco.

Yea, I would agree that those are "happening towns."

Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Did folks in Columbus go cow-tipping last night after their minor league AAA opening night loss vs. Louisville?

Or maybe they went to Wal-Mart.

Only if they can find a safe Wal-Mart in Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati