Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:18 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times

Advertisements

Just to see what a couple of billion dollars of rail investment will do for Cincinnati commuters, check out the progress Portland has made for their rail commuters:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,339 times
Easier to have the %.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
Rail will never be the primary mode of transportation in America as it is in Europe. I think a line could work connecting Mason to downtown, with stops in Montgomery, Kenwood Mall, and a couple stops from there to downtown, but population density is too dispersed here to make it work for the majority. The sooner the Democrats understand this, the less we have to borrow from the Chinese to pay for all these pie-in-the sky dreams of light rail.

Mallory will soon understand the fallacy of his vision. It will be his Waterloo....mired in unrepayable debt.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:41 PM

I think the main difference between Portland and Cincinnati as far as commuting is concerned is that a lot more people bicycle to work in Portland. could that be because of the mild climate? Yes, I think it is.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:44 PM

583 posts, read 884,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think the main difference between Portland and Cincinnati as far as commuting is concerned is that a lot more people bicycle to work in Portland. could that be because of the mild climate? Yes, I think it is.
That, and the fact that Lance Armstrong's legs would turn to jello climbing Mt. Adams.

Let gas hit $5.00, and people will wish they had rail.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 AM

688 posts, read 897,399 times
I still don't know why Mayor Mallory and council are STILL behind the street car decision. It makes no sense at all and these are people that were voted into office.

I'm glad I don't live in Cincinnati proper or Hamilton county for that matter.

This is going to end up just like the subway system, except fail after it's actually built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Mallory will soon understand the fallacy of his vision. It will be his Waterloo....mired in unrepayable debt.
Fortunately for him, he'll be out of office by the time it's completed. So he won't get any serious backlash from this nonsense. Although he'll always be remembered as the idiot who pushed the street cars.

I hope I'm wrong though. I'd hate to see Cincinnati lay off even more city workers to maintain an under utilized street car system.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:49 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,339 times
^Even more? Who did they lay off?

Subway ended because of the depression.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 AM

865 posts, read 1,472,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
I'm glad I don't live in Cincinnati proper or Hamilton county for that matter.
Things clearly haven't been working here for the past 50+ years, as evidenced by massive population decline and neglect of Cincy's neighborhoods. Something clearly has to change if Cincinnati is to improve as a city.

I'm glad we have people in this city who are willing to take a cue from other sucessful cities around the country, and try to improve Cincinnati by trying something different. Rail.

Sorry you can't see the vision.

Last edited by CinciFan; 02-18-2012 at 02:15 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 04:13 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
Lest anyone forget, the streetcar was planned to travel to UC/Uptown before our treacherous governor ripped out its funding. This second loop, alone, would have assured students (many of them out-of-towners) and other urban residents a vital link in and out of the CBD ( shopping/entertainment/jobs/culture/diversity). Although I think that the streetcar's introduction will add a new and exciting dimension to our CBD as is ( the Banks to Findlay Market), I also realize that it's a severely crippled compromise (THANKS, Kasich!). It's imperative that this second loop be completed ASAP to reap the streetcar's full potential. While the Portland/Cincinnati graphs posted by the OP are provocative and worthy of closer examination, it's time we disconnected ourselves from our incessant fondling of this far west counterpart and concentrate on our own city.

Last edited by motorman; 02-18-2012 at 05:17 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Things clearly haven't been working here for the past 50+ years, as evidenced by massive population decline and neglect of Cincy's neighborhoods. Something clearly has to change if Cincinnati is to improve as a city.

I'm glad we have people in this city who are willing to take a cue from other sucessful cities around the country, and try to improve Cincinnati by trying something different. Rail.

Sorry you can't see the vision.
After billions in investment and 30 years of sacrifice, disruption, and construction, Portland OR is exactly where Cincinnati is - no one uses rail. It is no more than a very, very expensive entertainment ride and a gimmick to cause the inevitable housing expansion to take place in some areas of the city that residents would not otherwise choose to live. Just like here. Development along a route where the real estate people on Council and their well connected friends have made investments.

I say, give everyone who shows up to take the ride a $100 and call it a day. They can spend it on something else. (Or maybe its $1,000 - time will tell).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati