Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,824,634 times

Advertisements

It's approved 6-3. Hopefully this is a successful venture. Good to see momentum still going for the Banks.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,183,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
It's approved 6-3. Hopefully this is a successful venture. Good to see momentum still going for the Banks.
Well, the city's shenanigans notwithstanding, I will support them by patronage and if it's good I will go back.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,709,519 times
Well it still stinks relative to what others have been given to start a private business in the City. Wouldn't you like a quarter of a million dollars of public money to start a business? I just do not see any justification to this whatever. Any business desiring to locate in the Banks or its next phase should be asking for the same deal. And the ones already there should refuse to pay their taxes until the Ciity gives them the same sweetheart deal. What in the world is going on here?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,953,129 times
I get the fact that it's not a scientific poll, but the opinion box on cincinnati.com which asks if council should have approved this financing deal registers a total of 633 votes right now: 67 yes, 566 no. I don't think much further comment is necessary--not that citizens' opinions matter anyway.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,709,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blatchford View Post
I'm glad to see both parties (the owners and the city) taking on some risk in investing in what could be a great project for The Banks. I think this will be a great success story and is a great move by the city.
What risk are the owners taking on? Far as I can tell they cannot even pay the bills for their current establishment in Hamilton. So where is the risk? The City is simply planking down money for a business which does not deserve it, no proven record of success. Every other business at the Banks should be screeming to high heaven and demanding a rebate.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:38 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,824,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I get the fact that it's not a scientific poll, but the opinion box on cincinnati.com which asks if council should have approved this financing deal registers a total of 633 votes right now: 67 yes, 566 no. I don't think much further comment is necessary--not that citizens' opinions matter anyway.
I guarantee you 85% of those that voted did not live in the city limits.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,953,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
I guarantee you 85% of those that voted did not live in the city limits.
Not sure exactly how you "guarantee" that without seeing the actual data of who voted and where they live. But you're probably correct. Of more note vis a vis skewed results is that people who're unhappy about something tend to be more motivated to express themselves.

All that said, the disconnect between council's vote and public opinion is pretty disconcerting.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,448,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Citizens' opinions certainly do matter - at the ballot box, not unscientific Internet polls that tend to stoke the fire of the hot-button issue of the day and are open to anybody from Cincinnati to Bombay.

It's pretty clear after the most recent Council election that the electorate placed the candidates in office that most closely hold its views. Using the streetcar as an example, had city residents really opposed the project to the extent that Cincinnati.com polls repeatedly showed, the issue would have been bludgeoned at the ballot and the overwhelmingly pro-streetcar majority that was elected would not have been.

There were plenty of alternatives, and there were plenty of anti-streetcar councilmembers that were given the boot. The fact that this Council is comprised of its current members is no accident. And it clearly shows that a lot of the opposition for initiatives supported by Cincinnati City Council is from people who don't actually live in the city. So, citizens' opinions DO matter.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 03-01-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 PM

682 posts, read 1,622,937 times
I have to question the priorities of the council ? A million bucks put into my neighborhood would take about 15-20 homes, completely stablizize them and paint them. It would create "real jobs' and at the end of the day raise property values and the city's property tax base would go up and we could attract people back to our neighborhood.

Oh well I guess our neighborhood will just have to do it by ourselves.
Victorian Antiquities and Design: Knox Hill Neighborhood Association to restore the C. Winkler House

Heaven Forbid the city would spend money somewhere OTHER than the Banks and OTR!

Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,448,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
I have to question the priorities of the council ? A million bucks put into my neighborhood would take about 15-20 homes, completely stablizize them and paint them. It would create "real jobs' and at the end of the day raise property values and the city's property tax base would go up and we could attract people back to our neighborhood.

Oh well I guess our neighborhood will just have to do it by ourselves.
Victorian Antiquities and Design: Knox Hill Neighborhood Association to restore the C. Winkler House

Heaven Forbid the city would spend money somewhere OTHER than the Banks and OTR!
Interesting work on the Winkler house and the neighborhood. That's great and we need more people dedicated to this type of restoration and preservation.

I'll be honest and admit that I don't know much about that area. How close are you to Northside? Can any spinoff development from NS spill into your neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati