Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 AM

258 posts, read 160,077 times

Advertisements

Local to me we have the wonderous joys of the:

Devon Cream Tea.

Make a cream tea yourself - it's really easy!

Cornish Pasty.

Pasty Recipe - Proper Cornish Pasty Recipe | Proper Pasty Company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
Local to me we have the wonderous joys of the:

Devon Cream Tea.

Make a cream tea yourself - it's really easy!

Cornish Pasty.

Pasty Recipe - Proper Cornish Pasty Recipe | Proper Pasty Company
Took a look at the recipes, quite interesting. Better bring your recipes with you as I do not know of anything remotely similar to them available in Cincinnati. If someone else does please chime in.

Of course all great food originates in the home anyway. My daughter in law makes a killer lasagna. She also has a technique for cooking spare ribs in a porcelain coated steel roaster where she stands them up on edge. I believe the actual cooking is more of a steaming process, but the result is some of the most tender ribs I have ever had. Not the prettiest looking compared to grilled, kind of gray and non-descript, but the taste more than compensates for the appearance.

But we don't want to change this into a food comparison, though food is one of our pleasures of life.

DP... Anything further in your search for housing in Cincinnati?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
DP... Anything further in your search for housing in Cincinnati?
I've been exchanging e.mails with various companys but until i get to Cincinnati and have a look at the places in person i can't really go much further. I have contact details for the four complexes that i have mentioned previously and for a couple of real estate offices so it'll start in earnest when i get there. They all look great in the files i've been sent (but they would wouldn't they) but i'll have a look first before deciding.

I think having a hotel to stay in for the first month and a car to meander about in is going to make a big difference as i wont need to rush into a decision but can have a good look about.

While i think of it.

In an earlier post i mentioned that i'd seen a 'Coldstream Country Club' and was advised that it's in the top 100 private clubs in the country. Well, i was in the Coldstream Guards so i thought i had nothing to lose by sending a cheeky e.mail and saying hello and tell them off the conection and the fact i was moving to Cincinnati. Well, this morning i recieved an e.mail from them asking if i would be going to be bringing my dress uniform and medals to the US with me and if so would i be willing to present an award for them at an event whilst in uniform. They'd highlighted the medals bit, are medals seen as important in the US? In the British Army we just call them foliage.

Anyway, i've said yes, well, it's a free meal if nothing else .

Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
...In an earlier post i mentioned that i'd seen a 'Coldstream Country Club' and was advised that it's in the top 100 private clubs in the country. Well, i was in the Coldstream Guards so i thought i had nothing to lose by sending a cheeky e.mail and saying hello and tell them off the conection and the fact i was moving to Cincinnati. Well, this morning i recieved an e.mail from them asking if i would be going to be bringing my dress uniform and medals to the US with me and if so would i be willing to present an award for them at an event whilst in uniform. They'd highlighted the medals bit, are medals seen as important in the US? In the British Army we just call them foliage.

Anyway, i've said yes, well, it's a free meal if nothing else .
I use this forum quite a bit to vent about things that I think are wrong with Cincinnati. Your experience with the country club is a perfect example of the kind of things that are right. How delightful!!!

I guess it's no news to anyone that our political discourse in the US has become filled with rancor and deep division. One thing, though, that just about everyone agrees on is respect and gratitude for our armed forces. So not knowing so much about British custom, I can tell you that it may not be so much a focus on the medals, awards, etc. as just appreciation for the individuals who protect our (and by extension, your) country and way of life.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 AM

DP... In the US everyone welcomes a good PR exposure. I do not believe medals, etc. have any more significance in the US than anywhere else. But the PR exposure is something else. If they can make a big deal out of the association with the Coldstream Guards, why not? As you say, a free meal is OK. But hold out for at least a couple of passes to play the golf course. It is one of the best in Cincinnati.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:52 AM

I've never played golf... now that could be very entertaining.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I've never played golf... now that could be very entertaining.
You have never played golf! Oh yes, it is Scotland which was the birthplace of golf.

You are reaching the age when golf becomes a pastime. My father was in his forties before he played his first round of golf. Much of it was financial, golf was a rich man's game back then. Once exposed he became addicted. On his travels to visit his brother in California (LA) he always had to detour to play Pebble Beach. Amidst failing health, and just a few months prior to his admission to a nursing home where he passed away, my brother and I took him out to a par-3 course near us. He couldn't get the ball off the tee, his frailties wouldn't permit it. My brother and I just ignored it. We took the cart and just dropped a ball near the green. My dad's greatest strength was always his short game. He could still stand up there, make a chip and sink a putt, at age 88. My brother and I have the best of memories about that day. The thing about golf is you can still play it long after most other sports are a distant memory.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:16 PM

477 posts, read 664,551 times
Quote:
. Cincinnati Chili
I hope you have read enough by now to realize it is from a Greek origin, many people disclaim it is not chili at all, but it is an obsession in Cincinnati. We can rightfully claim to have more chili parlors per capita than anywhere else in the US.
While your at it check out this related food:

Cheese Coney (Cincinnati Style - there is a slightly different Detroit Style one*) - Basically Cincinnati Chili with mustard and onions (optional) on a hotdog with a hotdog bun. Tend to be quite small so order 2 or 3 depending on how much you'd like to eat.

Funny enough I actually had the root greek dish that Cincy chili is based off of in Paris of all places. My parents and I were shocked when the exotic sounding pasta dish we ordered turned out to be quite familiar. We told the owner/waiters about it but they were confused and didn't know English too well.

*I had the weirdest combination Coney once - there's a place in Chicago that specializes in Detroit style Coneys and they had a special on a Cincinnati one, but they ran out of Cincinnati grated chilled cheese, and only had Detroit style melted cheddar. What I wound up doing to satisfy my craving for food I grew up with was ordering it Cincinnati style but with the melted cheddar - it was probably the strangest coney ever .

Also if you take a trip to Chicago, I'd be more than happy to give you advice on Chicagoey foods like Italian Beef, Deep Dish Pizza and hot dogs run through the salad.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:24 PM

DP... A couple of things need to be clarified. First of all is the monicker a Coney. No matter what anyone wants to say, Coney refers to the Coney Island Amusement park in New York City and the hot dogs, frankfurters, weiners, whatever name you want to put on the sausages served there on a bun. Nathan's famous is the most recognized.

The Coney being described here is also labeled a chili dog. This is simply a hot dog with chili ladeled onto it. There are two varieties who struggle for recognition in the US, the Detroit Coney and the Cincinnati Coney. What I find as the biggest distinction is the Detroit style has melted cheddar cheese as a contiment, while the Cincinnati style has finely shredded cold cheddar cheese. There are several other differences also. The Detroit variety has a thicker chili, typically made out of beef hearts. The Cincinnati variety of course uses the Greek derived Cincinnati Chili which is also served in the various ways, 3-way through 6-way combined with spaghetti.

Once you get here, you will have to decide for yourself. But let me forewarn you, Cincinnati Chili is an acquired taste, sort of like a martini.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 AM

It looks like there's going to be quite a variety of new food for me to try, maybe not to the benefit of my waistline.

I don't have any intention of doing it but is there much of a hunting community in Cincinnati and Ohio in general? I'm interested in shooting on a range though and i have seen that that's available in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati