Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 11,876 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I moved to the Cincinnati area about 2 months ago and we are having a very difficult time finding a church home. We DO NOT want to attend a seekers church.

We come from a Southern Baptist church that does not do topical preaching. By that I mean there is no monthly series or theme for the weekly sermons. The pastor simply teaches through one book of the Bible at a time. We had been covering the book of Jeremiah for the last 6 months or so. We also want a congregation that is not just full of "good people" but people actively seeking God, committed to his word, and willing to be held accountable. The congregation we left was also primarily African American. This is not a necessity but it is something my family and I desire, which makes it even more difficult.

I have scoured the Cincinnati churches on the Southern Baptist website but from what I have seen online, I don't think my family would like them.

Your church suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 02:02 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
I just want to comment a public forum may not be the best place to search out the specific style of church you desire. People tend to recommend what they like, not necessarily what you are looking for. My suggestion is to go back to the church you moved from and request they use their knowledge and contacts to recommend the church(es) in Cincinnati which best fit your wants.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:08 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
I think you'll need to visit a lot of churches to see for yourself.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 11,876 times
@kjbrill - Thanks! Yes that was the first thing we did. We only received one suggestion and we have already tried that church.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugalien View Post
@kjbrill - Thanks! Yes that was the first thing we did. We only received one suggestion and we have already tried that church.
You may have to go back and request they broaden their horizons slightly, not violate principle, just give you a few more choices which are at least in alignment with your beliefs.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
I'll pm you on this.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,768 times
Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for you other than to say I have known others in a similar situation...Southern Baptists relocating to Cincinnati, and they have also struggled to find a church with a similar character to what they were familiar with. I hate to say it, but I believe they finally gave up and adapted to the Cincinnati way.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 PM

75 posts, read 120,191 times
I suspect the “no topical preaching” requirement will be hard to fill around these parts. One church on Fields Ertel Road, for example, has displayed a sign for months stating “Pray the US will honor God.” Apparently they believe they know exactly what god wants and it must have to do with US politics. I wish their sign were more specific.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 AM

7 posts, read 29,636 times
Quote:
Hello,

My family and I moved to the Cincinnati area about 2 months ago and we are having a very difficult time finding a church home. We DO NOT want to attend a seekers church.

We come from a Southern Baptist church that does not do topical preaching. By that I mean there is no monthly series or theme for the weekly sermons. The pastor simply teaches through one book of the Bible at a time. We had been covering the book of Jeremiah for the last 6 months or so. We also want a congregation that is not just full of "good people" but people actively seeking God, committed to his word, and willing to be held accountable. The congregation we left was also primarily African American. This is not a necessity but it is something my family and I desire, which makes it even more difficult.

I have scoured the Cincinnati churches on the Southern Baptist website but from what I have seen online, I don't think my family would like them.

Hi, I just happened to read your posting. We go to Montgomery Assembly of God ( mostly Pentacostal church ). The church has Sunday class, even couple bible study, kids bible study, besides seniors ministries, women's ministries, youth service, children ministries & worship arts, ect. We're pretty much active in any social activities,too. The church is right on the main street of Pffeiffer Rd. You won't miss it ( it's on the left if you come from 75 exit 15 ). Although lots of churches are on the street.

You can check our web : Montgomery Assembly of God

Feel free to call or visit once. See how you like it. Have a blessed one!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,033 times
If you are serious about an expository preaching church, you should check out Pleasant Ridge baptist church or Hyde park baptist church. Also liberty baptist in norwood or highland ave baptist in elmwood place. all of these churches are southern baptist but are solid bible preaching and teaching. I hope this helps.

Quote:
Hello,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati