Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times

Advertisements

OP...
Went back and looked at your original post. Both of you working in Norwood. With the family, not overly concerned about nightlife, bar scene, etc. Even reinforced my recommendation to look at Amberley Village. Beautiful, quiet, all residential neighborhood. I don't know if they have covenants against it, but I do not know of a single business in Amberley Village, no fast food, no gas stations, nothing. The only other place I know of with this atmosphere in Cincy is Indian Hill.

If you can find a property in Amberley Village within you reach, grab it. You are looking at about a 10 minute commute to Norwood. Any direction you go you will find the big box stores in abundance. As your children age, schools may be more of a concern. But that still has some time to go and hopefully CPS is going to get their act together. I would think resale value on an Amberley Village property is about as solid as you can get.

Last edited by kjbrill; 03-16-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:25 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
OP...
Went back and looked at your original post. Both of you working in Norwood. With the family, not overly concerned about nightlife, bar scene, etc. Even reinforced my recommendation to look at Amberley Village. Beautiful, quiet, all residential neighborhood. I don't know if they have covenants against it, but I do not know of a single business in Amberley Village, no fast food, no gas stations, no thing. The only other place I know of with this atmosphere in Cincy is Indian Hill.

If you can find a property in Amberley Village within you reach, grab it. You are looking at about a 10 minute commute to Norwood. Any direction you go you will find the big box stores in abundance. As your children age, schools may be more of a concern. But that still has some time to go and hopefully CPS is going to get their act together. I would think resale value on an Amberley Village property is about as solid as you can get.
I love Amberly, too. It's so appealing that even with the price of gas like it is, it's still on hubby's and my rotation for tourist-type neighborhood drives. Something we started doing as newlyweds when it was "cheap" entertainment, not a wasteful luxury like it is now.

Of course, we enjoy doing a little bickering about home styles as we tour. I love those big, sprawly ranches and mid-century moderns in Amberly. He thinks houses should be the white frame two-stories he grew up with in northern Indiana. Come to think of it, there are plenty of those in Norwood. And Norwood does have some nice streets. But Amberly it ain't.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:32 AM

Norwood can't hold the proverbial candle to Amberley. I am touting Amberley since it can save a ton in commuting costs being so close to Norwood, is absolutely beautiful and quiet, how more family friendly can you get? You may have a problem locating a property in Amberley in your price range. But if you can find one, jump on it. Don'f forget to factor in the reduced cost of commuting compared to a northern suburb.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 AM

4 posts, read 7,808 times
Fairfield, West Chester, Kenwood. Love the areas. Great education situation. Fairfield actually just made it so that you can send your children there no matter where you live as long as they have a good background in prior schools. Says alot about their tolerance for poor behavior.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:47 PM

8 posts, read 44,335 times
Thank you so much to everyone for the great information. It is all really helpful. My wife took a look at the forum today and was not in agreement with the fact that I even mentioned proximity to Sam's, Costco, etc. and that I emphasized a house's character (as this naturally points us to Cincy Public Schools, which we don't want).

Amberley Village actually looks amazing and we could afford houses. Our true upper limit might be $400,000. I guess I was just figuring we should be able to get what we need for under $350K Cincinnati Public Schools do really concern me.

I guess for some context, I should let you all know that we are from Youngstown originally (one end of the real estate spectrum) and have live in Los Angeles for the last few years (the complete other end!). My current commute is an hour and a half and my wife's is about 45 minutes, so really any commute in Cincinnati will be a drastic improvement.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2Bcincy View Post
Thank you so much to everyone for the great information. It is all really helpful. My wife took a look at the forum today and was not in agreement with the fact that I even mentioned proximity to Sam's, Costco, etc. and that I emphasized a house's character (as this naturally points us to Cincy Public Schools, which we don't want).

Amberley Village actually looks amazing and we could afford houses. Our true upper limit might be $400,000. I guess I was just figuring we should be able to get what we need for under $350K Cincinnati Public Schools do really concern me.

I guess for some context, I should let you all know that we are from Youngstown originally (one end of the real estate spectrum) and have live in Los Angeles for the last few years (the complete other end!). My current commute is an hour and a half and my wife's is about 45 minutes, so really any commute in Cincinnati will be a drastic improvement.
So look at the total economics. Trading an hour and a half commute for 10 minutes should seem like heaven. Amberley Village is a quiet haven in the middle of a busy enclave. Do your numbers and compare the current cost of your commutes, in simple dollars let alone time, and determine whether private school may be in the future if you determine CPS is inadequate.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,309 times
Don't usually comment on these forums, but no one has mentioned Mariemont? They are building all new schools and has excellent ratings on the Ohio report cards. For your price range, you could definitely find a house there. Or save some money, and find a house in the Village of Fairfax, right next door. Great neighborhoods, local businesses, and I can get to Norwood from Fairfax in under 20 minutes

Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Although I've observed this thread for sometime w/o adding any needless comments, I'd like to mention a few things about Amberley Village. First of all, I have reread the OP's original post and I'm not here to convince anyone to become urbanites when they state that their interests are in Cincinnati's northern suburbia. Second, I agree with Sara Perry, Chemistry_Guy, and kjbrill on the allure of the Amberley homes. Ever since they were built, these fine homes have attracted the attention of countless affluent home buyers; the average dwellings are beautiful; the best are Taj Mahals. And no big apartment complexes nor Section 8 housing anywhere. (as one poster already stated--a genuine Mayberry of The Affluent!)

Now some other comments I feel strongly obligated to make... Several posters have mentioned (or implied) that Amberley has it entirely over Norwood. Yes, in the sheer number of quality homes, probably, but in the location, no. First, to the OP, please check out three streets in Norwood before making any final decision. Off of Smith Rd., drive down both Floral and Forest Avenues. Then, not far away off of Montgomery Rd., drive up Indian Mound Ave. If you'll be working in Norwood, you owe it to yourselves to see these particular, picturesque streets. While much of southwestern Norwood is in great transition, these quiet streets are not. Walkable? This entire area (in fact, Norwood itself) leaves Amberley far behind. (why do you think most of Amberley has no sidewalks?)

Now, location. Amberley Village is car-country. Unless you live on one of its peripheries, you'll need a car to go anywhere. (and that will eventually include any children) And you will not go to work in Norwood in only ten-minutes unless you fly a jet-copter, period. 15-20 minutes? Maybe. Oh, yeah, you'll be able to arrive at the remarkable Kenwood Mall area (via Galbraith Rd.) in absolutely no time, but just wait until you enter this nightmare of gridlock--you'll see. Needless to say, this truly eye-popping and glamorous mall is home to the young, the beautiful, the bored, the be-seen, and other souls who just love to dispose of their income. Day-to-day shopping? Please spare us! And the notorious "Bermuda Triangle" bordered by Kenwood Rd., Galbraith Rd., and Montgomery Rd. has to be experienced only once to be believed! ( any Saturday around noon will do...)

Yes, Amberley residents are also ten-minutes away from one of Kroger's biggest and best foodstores at Hunt Rd.(liquor store/Kosher deli, etc.) and an IGA grocery in the nearby Dillonvale shopping plaza. And for foodies, there's always specialty outlets like Fresh Market and Trader Joe's--but, be warned: those two culinary playgrounds are in the dreaded Kenwood Mall traffic arena. Yes, I know--someone's gonna "remind" me just how close the fantastic Norwood (Rookwood Commons/Pavilion)--Oakley (Fresh Market/Target/Meijers/Sam's Club)--Hyde Park (the fabled Kroger flagship store) are. Oh, they are, but relatively speaking only. When it comes to this splendid shopping Mecca, match any location in Amberley with that of Norwood. Or just simply shop at the huge and diverse Norwood Kroger store at Surrey Square--BTW, a store that outsells the Hyde Park store. Like I said, it's all relative, especially if you're used to LA shopping forays.

Yes, the homes in Amberley Village speak for themselves (in relation to those in Norwood), but so do their locations. It's entirely the OP's call.

Last edited by motorman; 03-22-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 AM

8 posts, read 44,335 times
Again.. thanks so much for the continued discussion. It is invaluable to me.

My real estate agent continues to send me listings in West Chester. It seems that the money definitely does go further up there (as one would expect further from the city) and that there simply are a lot of available homes out there that satisfy our criteria. Several have expressed negative views of this area, so I am having a hard time deciding what I think of the place.

A few questions:
1. Some have said that West Chester has "cookie cutter" homes. Is this still true even in the $350-$400K, 4-5 bedroom price range?
2. Can anyone estimate the commute time (rush hour and offpeak) from West Chester to Norwood (Xavier area especially)?

I just realized I didn't answer the kjbrill's questions for any newcomer... so here goes.

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? YES
. What specific topic have you not found answers to? 4-5 bedroom, good schools, 300K's $

. Where is you current location and environment? Pasadena, CA.
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? Change.. more space. Better schools

. Where will your work location be? Norwood (near Xavier)
. Maximum commute time desired? 35 minutes

. What is you budget for housing?
$300-375K (maybe even $400K)
. Rent or buy? !!!! BUY !!!!!!
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Single family
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 2500-3500, 4-5 BR, 2.5+ baths
. Other specifics? Finished basement, some sort of yard, 2 car garage

. Neighborhood environment?
. Urban, young professional, nightlife --
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere

. Family oriented
. Lots of same age kids, activities
. Great schools

. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character - I've always wanted this, but my kids are more important than my personal architectural tastes.
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready
. Diversity of income, race, housing? Not going to compare to LA, regardless
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) Normal yard is fine 1/2 acre or less
. Very safe, low crime area? Very important with kids
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? No, none
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities: Advantageous, I guess if not too $$$

. Schools?
. Not applicable
. High Ranked Public schools
. Small or large district? Large enough to offer divers courses, Smaller than a university is a must though
. Diverse student body?
. Strong athletics?
. Consider Private schools? Prefer not to, but open to the idea if $$$ allows
. Special considerations?

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
. Town/city community center for adults & kids
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs
. Close promity to public transportation?
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues Would be nice
. Jogging & biking trails
. Other?

. Specific wants/desires?
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 PM

171 posts, read 354,219 times
West Chester schools (Lakota school district) are a big concern right now. Since you emphasized schools being crucial, I would hesitate to move to West Chester right now w/o being fully informed. They have not passed their recent school operationg levies, and recently laid off 160+ teachers. In Ohio, we have to vote on any increase in budget even for operating expenses. There is no inflationary factor built in, so schools typically come every 5 years to the voters to ask for more money to cover increases in pay, benefits, utilities, etc. Lakota has failed the past 3 attempts at increasing their operating budget. Schools are still highly ranked, but services are being cut left and right. Art and music will be reduced quite a bit in the next few years as they are always seen as easy targets when reducing budget. Busing has been reduced to state minimums as well. Lots of people are moving out that are concerned with the schools which is impacting house values. Just wanted to bring it to your attention as you narrow your search. We had friends that moved to Little Miami w/o doing their research on the schools (similar issue that Lakota is in right now, although Little Miami went to fiscal emergency and Lakota is not there yet), and ended up taking a blood bath on their house.

Not saying its the wrong decision to move there, but wanted to make sure you are aware of the school situation. There are wonderful neighborhood there if you love suburban living...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati