Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM

29 posts, read 54,924 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
after reading a lot on this forum and finding a lot of good advice I decided to register and post a thread to ask you, Dear Forum Members, a couple of questions where I could not find something like a clear answer yet.
This is my first thread on this forum
Further below I answered the standard Cincy questionnaire.

My situation: I will be moving to the Cincinnati area this summer, probably in June. My employer "wants" me to come to Cincy. No, it is not P&G.
My employer will arrange temporary housing for a month or two for me and my family (Myself, Wife, 6Y child and 2nd child under way) so we can do house-hunting.
In general my wife and I are urban people. We are from Europe, before we came to the US we used to live in Berlin (without kids). What a nice playground for grown-ups that was! Theater, museums, operas, music, cultural life in every color you can imagine and of course, party & club life in any form you wanted. Well, now we are older and have kid(s), we have different priorities now So the urban thing is something for weekend trips now.

We wanted to check out something else, so we came to the US. We have now 5 years in the Baltimore area (1 year downtown, 4 years suburb) under our belt.
Good things about Baltimore: proximity to DC (we LOVE DC! it is urban, it has everything. But DC is hyper expensive!) proximity to the bay and the ocean, proximity to NYC (3.4 h). Neat downtown area (yes, to your surprise probably!)
Bad things about Baltimore: Vast areas with high crime, you could call them slums, they are all around downtown like a ring, I only made the mistake once to drive thru one of them.
Very high house prices in all areas where public schools are good, and there are not many areas with good public schools close to downtown. A house in Mason, OH would probably cost twice as much here in Baltimore (with access to good schools).

Obviously the access to good schools with moderate house prices is the big plus for us when moving to Cincy.

There is one thing about Cincy where I am a little nervous. I would not like to go into an area where people are overly conservative. What does that mean?
I would not feel happy in an area that you could call very conservative, where people would jugde me or my child based upon if we go to church on Sundays for example. Or where people would freak out if somebody does not share their very conservative world view, I am not a left-winger (how do you say that in this country? "liberal"?). I have some more conservative views, but I am not a socially conservative or a religious person. I do have respect for people with those opinions (well, if it is not too extreme ), but I do not want to be pulled into that very conservative world too much.
Do you guys know what I mean?
How is Cincinnati in that regard? what areas (school districts) should I avoid, if any?

Now the questionnaire:. Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? yes.
. What specific topic have you not found answers to? see above - how conservative is Cincy, what are the very conservative areas, if any.

. Where is you current location and environment? Baltimore, MD suburb
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? well, good schools drive the decision.

. Where will your work location be? Cincinnati, Industrial Area near Hopple Street. I think it is called "Camp Washington", not sure. The area is not pretty, I know.
. Maximum commute time desired? well, the shorter the better, max 45 min.

. What is you budget for housing? 250 to 270K

. Rent or buy? Buy
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Single Family
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 3 -4 bedrooms
. Other specifics? newer home (built after 2000 or so). or well kept house from the 90s. I like the two story "high ceiling" living rooms you can see in Mason homes. I like open floor plans.

. Neighborhood environment? Not too quiet. It is good to see people on the streets and it is good to have some restaurants, shopping close by.

. Urban, young professional, nightlife: Beyond that age. If I can get to downtown in 30 min on the weekend, that'd be fine.
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment. see above
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere. see above.

. Family oriented: yes
. Lots of same age kids, activities: yes
. Great schools: TOP PRIORITY!
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character: newer homes with open floor plan are nice. On the other hand, I really well kept old home in a good school district (that does not look like 1970 in the kitchen or bath) why not...
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready: modern, move in ready.
. Diversity of income, race, housing? why not (again schools must be very good)
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) small or large ok.
. Very safe, low crime area? sure.
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? well, no shootings please . Crime rate should be low in general.
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities. access to pool would be excellent.

. Schools? TOP PRIORITY.
. Not applicable
. High Ranked Public schools: yes.
. Small or large district? not so important. small better.
. Diverse student body? why not
. Strong athletics? sounds good
. Consider Private schools? no
. Special considerations?

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.: some of that should be close by, 3 to 5 minute drive, longer walk if I want it. Sunday: take the bike to have some ice cream.
. Town/city community center for adults & kids, it is a plus
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities, Swimming would be a plus.
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs: not important
. Close promity to public transportation? well, we are not in Europe. Would be a plus.
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues: sounds good.
. Jogging & biking trails: yes bike trails would be very nice!
. Other?

. Specific wants/desires?
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.

Here are the school districts I have so far on my "check out list" that are supposed to have good schools. What should I add on the Kentucky side or Oh side? What should I remove?

Mason
Blue Ash
Montgomery
Evendale
Glendale
West Chester (I heard about school financing issues.)
Wyoming
Terrace Park
Fairfield : are the schools really good? greatschools.org does not seem to show that.
Kenwood
Mariemont

Thank you & Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 PM

405 posts, read 891,505 times
I recommend Terrace Park for great schools and safety, but 270k might not be enough. I am not sure you can get everything you want for 270k in Cincinnati. Terrace Park is very family oriented and great for little kids but maybe a little boring for young adults. However it is pretty easy to get downtown from here.

I can comment on the "conservative" issue. I find people in Cincinnati pretty respectful on this regard. As far as I know my neighbors don't care whether I go to church or not (well they might but they are still nice neighbors and never say anything). I work with people with widely varying political beliefs from pretty far left to very far right and we all get along. Mostly by not discussing politics

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Depending on the makeup of the company, I believe your are more likely to encounter the convervative/liberal aspect at the workplace than where you live. I agree with Wolden that most areas of Cincinnati are very discrete when it comes to neighbors.

As you move further out in the suburbs the voting record becomes predominantly Republican. If this is equated with conservative, I guess you would call it conservative. Personally, I don't believe it is conservative at all, both parties are willing to spend other people's money to achieve their aims, the only difference is which people are they going to take it from.

I like a place like Mason since it is a result of recent growth. This means the majority of residents are new to the area, and have come from all over. This yields an immediate tolerant atmosphere as it takes time to form cliques and establishment ideas. If all the newcomers are not in favor of your views they can vote you out in an eyelash.

Much has been said about the financial problems of the Lakota School District (West Chester, Liberty Township). Being one of the largest and best school districts in the State of Ohio, with huge growth and resulting taxes, it was inevitable voters would ask them to tighten their belts. As I stated in another thread their current annual operating budget is $154 Million. That is hardly piker amounts. Look up the mean family income in those two townships. These people are not going to let the schools disintegrate. They are simply requiring the schools to bring their expenditures, health insurance costs, retirement benefits, etc. more in line with what the voters are experiencing. They are taking a stand to halt the gravy train resulting from it is for the kids, vote for it! They are now asking for justification and accountability. But I would not hesitate to purchase a home there, particularly if it was priced right. Again, look at the median family income. They are likely positioned as one of the best areas in Cincinnati to weather this financial storm.

The areas I would avoid would be Mariemont/Terrace Park, Glendale (great neighborhood but Princeton Schools). All you need to do is browse the property listings in Mariemont/Terrace Park and it is immediately evident you are talking about older property at elevated prices. May even come close to Baltimore. If the property has had continuing upgrades, kitchens, bathrooms, etc. it may be worth the price. Just remember that a virtual photo tour almost always makes things look better than they really are. Also, remember these neighborhoods are old enough they will have their social and ideological cliques.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I wouldn't worry about the conservative nonsense, either.

Add Madeira to your list. Great schools, nice little town and business district, and a variety of housing. I have friends with kids in school there (heck, I have friends with kids in every district in three counties ... LOL), and they love it because the district is smaller, yet offers a lot for their kids. Should be easy to find a 4-bedroom brick colonial or ranch within your price range; they'll be older, but I'd choose a good school district close to work and then worry about adapting my house to my wishes.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM

171 posts, read 354,550 times
I would take West Chester and Fairfield off your list and add Madeira (like someone else mentioned). I agree that the further out you get from Cincinnati, the more conservative it is. I believe Warren County is the most conservative county voting wise in Ohio. When I lived up in Warren county (Lebanon), I was a bit surprised and taken aback when multiple people asked me which church I attended. Coming from the Northeast, no one ever asked you that...I've run into none of that where I'm currently located (Wyoming). I think you have a good list. It will really come down to which town is the best fit for you as they each have a different draw to them.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM

Default Replies

Hey, you already posted replies, thank you so much!!!

@ kjbrill "Depending on the makeup of the company, I believe your are more likely to encounter the convervative/liberal aspect at the workplace than where you live."
You are 100% correct, I already noticed that; met a couple of die-hard Republicans there. Not a problem for me (they did not invite me to church on Sunday ) People have different views, and that is good.

@ Ohiogirl81 "I wouldn't worry about the conservative nonsense, either."
Got it, I like short and clear answers.

@ wolden "I find people in Cincinnati pretty respectful on this regard. As far as I know my neighbors don't care whether I go to church or not (well they might but they are still nice neighbors and never say anything). I work with people with widely varying political beliefs from pretty far left to very far right and we all get along. Mostly by not discussing politics "
Ok, that is what I was hoping for. Thanks!

@ kjbrill "I like a place like Mason since it is a result of recent growth. This means the majority of residents are new to the area, and have come from all over. This yields an immediate tolerant atmosphere as it takes time to form cliques and establishment ideas. If all the newcomers are not in favor of your views they can vote you out in an eyelash."
I agree. A mix of newcomers creates a more tolerant atmosphere and it might be easier to get into social circles or simply to make friends. I experienced that here in Baltimore where you have people from all over the world.

"Browse the property listings in Mariemont/Terrace Park and it is immediately evident you are talking about older property at elevated prices."
Yes, my online research confirms that. I want more bang for the buck than what I found online there so far.

@ Ohiogirl81 "Add Madeira to your list. Great schools, nice little town and business district, and a variety of housing." Thanks, will do!

More Questions:
On Mason, would it be fair to say that Mason is chosen by people who tend to be well educated themselves and look for a very good eduction for their kids? Is Mason more white-collar? (yes, it sounds a bit like a snobby question.) Any difference to West-Chester?

@ kjbrill Lakota School District (West Chester, Liberty Township): Mmhh...it seems you do not see the situation over there too grim. There are a lot of nice houses on the market, that is for sure, but that might be an indicator for problems. And the houses there seem to be a bit cheaper than in Mason. Again, a potential indicator for problems (or people panic for no good reason).
By the way, what is the difference between Mason and West Chester?

I think the following question has been asked a million times on other threads. I just ask it again, about commuting times:

From Mason or West Chester to my office (Cincy, Camp Washington): what average (!) commuting time can I expect?
Let us say I want to be in the office by 08:30 AM or 08:00 AM. (I know that it can take forever if there is some problem on the highway south.)
Let us say I am leaving the office 05:00 PM or 05:30 PM. Average commuting time back to Mason or West Chester?

I allow myself to ask one last question in this post.
What attractive cities, towns or attractions are within a 2h drive that are worth a day-trip?

I am sure I will have more questions, thank you all VERY MUCH for being so kind to post on my thread!

Cheers!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 AM

@Jen35 thanks for your reply. "I believe Warren County is the most conservative county voting wise in Ohio. When I lived up in Warren county (Lebanon), I was a bit surprised and taken aback when multiple people asked me which church I attended." That is what I had it mind with my question, I might have to be prepared to getting questions like that occasionally.
I assume Mason might not be the typical place to get questions like that?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
(via Berlin, eh?) Just don't ask anyone here if they've seen "Run Lola Run" or if they know who Franka Potente is...most of them won't.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen35 View Post
I believe Warren County is the most conservative county voting wise in Ohio. When I lived up in Warren county (Lebanon), I was a bit surprised and taken aback when multiple people asked me which church I attended.
I had the same experience when I moved to Lebanon (from Cleveland).

I also was told that I was going to hell because I was a Roman Catholic. That was just plain wrong.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 AM

"I had the same experience when I moved to Lebanon (from Cleveland).

I also was told that I was going to hell because I was a Roman Catholic."

Really? did civilization bypass that area the last 200 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati