Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies.

Any thoughts on glass block for the ground level windows??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Make sure you have appropriate egress options if you go to glass block. (or anything you use for that matter)

Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Yes, I don't think it will do anything for resale, likely detract. You said you have a tri-level and mention glass block for the lower level. Is that level sunk partially into the ground so just the windows are exposed above ground level? I assume so since you commented landscaping blocks the windows. What is the composition of the exterior walls - brick? I would never install glass block in anything but a masonry wall. I would definitely select clear glass block and possibly the thin style just to get more natural light infusion. Be sure and ask anyone you contact about installing them how they intend to handle the situation multiples of the glass block width and height plus joints will likely not come out even with your opening sizes.

I once considered installing glass block in my basement windows. But I quickly gave up when I realized the opening size and multiples of glass block sizes was not going to match. And cutting the blocks was going to give a real half-as*d appearance to the job.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM

307 posts, read 543,824 times
If you go to a glass block supplier, not a big box store, you can get enough different sizes that you can likely layout something that wouldn't require and modifications to the original openings. I put 5 glass block windows of varying sizes in and bought the blocks at mid-American glass block in tri county. If you've done tile work you can likely do glass block.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
If you go to a glass block supplier, not a big box store, you can get enough different sizes that you can likely layout something that wouldn't require and modifications to the original openings. I put 5 glass block windows of varying sizes in and bought the blocks at mid-American glass block in tri county. If you've done tile work you can likely do glass block.
Just a question. Do you feel another purchaser will view the glass block as you do, a practical solution at a lower price? I am just curious. I felt glass block would be just great in basement windows, especially since they are down in window wells. As I said earlier I gave up when I did not find blocks which fit my opening sizes. As you say, maybe I just did not look far enough. Basement windows, particularly below grade, are a PITA circumstance. That is where I would have wanted the glass block. Above grade, particularly in the main house, I am not so sure.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 PM

307 posts, read 543,824 times
They're basement windows which are below grade, butting against a city sidewalk so really the only practical option. I'd agree that above grade glass block is not the greatest option unless you're doing something super modern or its a small bathroom or whatnot.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
They're basement windows which are below grade, butting against a city sidewalk so really the only practical option. I'd agree that above grade glass block is not the greatest option unless you're doing something super modern or its a small bathroom or whatnot.
Hey, we agree on something. Glass block in below grade basement windows is very practical. These windows tend to be entry points for all kinds of nasty bugs, etc. Glass blocks prohibits that.

But installing glass block in above grade windows I would be leery. You may think they are fine, but I am not sure a future potential buyer would view them the same.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
Since you are talking about a tri level house, 'historic correctness' wont apply here. As long as you understand that replacement windows are not a permanent fix because the seals eventually fail I think you will be OK. Certainly your comfort level will improve over what you have now. As for glass block? If you have friend who is a realtor ask them about how it may affect resale value

The biggest 'con' I see is when people with really old houses spend thousands on new replacement windows and are still cold. That is usually because they installed 'insert units" which fit where the old sashes were. The installer simply screws and caulk them in and never deal with the large "pockets" that held the window weights which are not insulated. So you have a good window in terms of air infiltration set in an area with high air infiltration. Also with an really old home you never recoup the cost of windows and if the house is historic, it actually runs down the value of the home.

But in your case a 30 year old tri level? replacement windows make sense from an aesthetic and comfort standpoint. References are everything and you want to make sure the crew doing the install is experienced.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
No glass blocks, thanks for the hints.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,176 times
I don't have a have a good experience with Lowes or Home Depot. When their contractor came to get me an estimate for two double hang with moldings and capping, he told me $1800!! Home depot, seriously? I can get one window from local supplier with all the feautures for max $300 so it would be $600 for two. If a contractor charges $200 for installation each, that would be enough. So how come $1800?

Try to get few estimates first, some people get you a higher price because they are busy and they don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati