Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,872 times

Advertisements

If someone breaks into my home, I guarantee it will be the last thing he/she ever does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23145tp View Post
If someone breaks into my home, I guarantee it will be the last thing he/she ever does.
Just make sure you can confirm your life was threatened, or you will the one left holding the bag.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
^^ Not under castle doctrine, laws have changed. On the other hand, it's not really necessary to go around talking about what one would do is someone breaks into their home. I hope to God no one has to encounter that sort of thing. And the bravado is not needed.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 PM

77 posts, read 195,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHW View Post
That's us!

Sorry Matt I kinda "borrowed" your guys moniker for my screen name but hey at least it's in lower case

Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
I take a some what "direct" approach where low level crime is concerned. We know who the drug dealer is in our neighborhood (we have run the other three out). I saw an unfamiliar car park in front of my house, a nice nwer silver focus sedan. I watched the cars driver, a younger girl, go into that house and come out quickly. She and her boyfriend were getting their 'stuff' ready to shoot up. I had already notified everyone on our crime watch cell tree.

I walked out to my front yard, camera in hand taking pictures (FYI the girls small baby was in the car seat in back). They were so preoccupied with their "acquistion" they didn't see me approaching. I got close enough to yell "if you doing dope in my neighborhood you are on camera right now. I have a photo of your license plate and police are being called!

You never saw people leave so fast and as they went down the street another neighbor was clicking away with her camera as they went by.

They won't be back!

We then distributed a flyer on the block with the license number of the car early the next morning to everyone (including the drug dealers house).

They stayed inside the whole weekend. They can't "street deal" anymore because we all have survelance camera and people are actually out in their yards now working on their flower beds and yard. A long cry from the way it was a few years ago.

We expect this drug dealer in our hood will soon move on due to lack of clientel. HIs supplier won't even show up to deliver to him anymore. He has to go get it himself and eth police keep an eye out of his comings and goings.

Now to the suburbanites on the board that probably seems scary. The reality is, there are drug dealer in the suburbs but you probably never know it because you don't look for it. The point is crime is everywhere. Some friends of mine ( who never understood why anyone would want to live in the city), who live in a very affluent suburban area had to evacuate their 500K home when a meth lab was found three doors from them.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:54 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
^^ Great post showing how it's done. Love it! Good work chasing the scum out of your hood.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
I take a some what "direct" approach where low level crime is concerned. We know who the drug dealer is in our neighborhood (we have run the other three out). I saw an unfamiliar car park in front of my house, a nice nwer silver focus sedan. I watched the cars driver, a younger girl, go into that house and come out quickly. She and her boyfriend were getting their 'stuff' ready to shoot up. I had already notified everyone on our crime watch cell tree.

I walked out to my front yard, camera in hand taking pictures (FYI the girls small baby was in the car seat in back). They were so preoccupied with their "acquistion" they didn't see me approaching. I got close enough to yell "if you doing dope in my neighborhood you are on camera right now. I have a photo of your license plate and police are being called!

You never saw people leave so fast and as they went down the street another neighbor was clicking away with her camera as they went by.

They won't be back!

We then distributed a flyer on the block with the license number of the car early the next morning to everyone (including the drug dealers house).

They stayed inside the whole weekend. They can't "street deal" anymore because we all have survelance camera and people are actually out in their yards now working on their flower beds and yard. A long cry from the way it was a few years ago.

We expect this drug dealer in our hood will soon move on due to lack of clientel. HIs supplier won't even show up to deliver to him anymore. He has to go get it himself and eth police keep an eye out of his comings and goings.

Now to the suburbanites on the board that probably seems scary. The reality is, there are drug dealer in the suburbs but you probably never know it because you don't look for it. The point is crime is everywhere. Some friends of mine ( who never understood why anyone would want to live in the city), who live in a very affluent suburban area had to evacuate their 500K home when a meth lab was found three doors from them.
Your very pro-active stance in the war on drugs is definitely the way to go. Part of it is oriented to the consumer and making them uncomfortable to the point they will not return. And you are absolutely correct drugs are found everywhere, noone is immune. This is a result of the easy big money to be made. Yes, meth labs turn up everywhere, as well as marijuana farms in basements.

I attribute this to the lackadasical approach of society. What is wrong with smoking a couple of joints or knocking down a couple of lines now and then? Simply because it feeds the entire illegal machine. Or, it is only the serious drug users/dealers which are a problem and they mainly argue over money and kill each other. As long as they stay in their part of town it is not a threat to me. A pretty naive approach.

If it were up to me I would substantially elevate the penalties for both possession and distribution, in fact I would make them about the same. This is one case when I believe the consumer can be scared out of participation for fear of losing their liberty. Without consumers there is no drug trade.

It is my opinion the increase in the severity of penalties for DUI (now called OVI) has had a positive effect on that situation. I know a couple of guys now sitting in the state pen because they were repeat offenders. It is no longer a slap on the wrist and don't do that again. We need to do that and then some for the drug situation.

Last edited by kjbrill; 04-23-2012 at 07:31 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM

restorationconsultant...

The friends of yours who had to evacute their expensive suburban home due to a meth lab (danger of blowing up) were inconvenienced. The real question of course is why was the meth lab there in the first place? Perhaps because the neighborhood was too complacent to notice something was going on. But more likely the participants at least did not draw attention to their activities. I totally agree this is going on everywhere, and no suburban area is immune. So those people conducting the meth lab, what happened to them? How long where they incarcerated for? If all they got was a slap on the wrist, you have identified part of the problem. In my opinion, any women involved would be past the ability to conceive children (menopause) by the time they were released. But that is just because I am an antisocial person.

You are spending a great deal of time and energy concentrating on the rehab of older properties. Of course you must constantly weigh the cost of the rehab against the final resullt. Sometimes the best answer is this is beyond reclamation, tear it down. I know this is against your basic desires. Buit as you go along and these drug parasites keep interrupting the efficiency of your endeavor, what is your reaction?

We know you go out and take pictures of the people participating, hoping the public exposure will cause them to sneak away and not return. I know this is a common method where prostitutes are a problem, photograph and publicize pictures of their Johns. Drive the Johns away and the prostitutes will leave.

But do you ever fear you are dealing with some crazies? You are out there taking pictures and suddenly they pull out a cannon and Wham you are history? I give you a lot of credit for standing up in this manner.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
^^ Great post showing how it's done. Love it! Good work chasing the scum out of your hood.
Yep. And a simple phone call to my radio station while it is happening (if I am able to launch it there) will also put the information live on the radio for everyone to hear provided that I am behind the mic or at least at home and not out at work. That would get quick results...

Old 04-25-2012, 02:30 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
@ KjBrill . I've been taking a direct approach for over 20 years in neighborhoods far worse than South Fairmount.

It seems to be paying off as our neighborhood is having its first home tour on May 19th noon-4. The Knox Hill "Preservation Opportunity" Home Tour which will showcase 3 under restoration homes, where peopel will be able to meet the owner and ask questiosn about home restoration. There will also be two architectural walking tours of the neighborhood at 12:30 and 2:00. We also will have some classic cars on display. Tour tickets are 10.00 and the proceeds benefit the KHNA "Save-not Raze' program which acquired endangered homes and stabilizes then for resale to qualifiied people who want to restore an older home.

Now if you told anyone just 3 years ago that this was happening they would have laughed at you. However, we are expecting several hundred people and I know of preservationists and neighborhood associations who are coming from 7 states to see how our approach is working in Knox Hill.

But if everyone had just sat around and done nothing, none of the above would even be possible. There are a lot of neighborhoods that can be turned around by just small core groups of people. To me, the benefit far outweighs the risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati