Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiddar View Post
I dont know much about the N KY area. But, it seems like, coming from Chicago, I would prefer a little more density than it appears that you get in the N KY area. I might be totally off on the areas right across the river. But, when I was driving around this past weekend in Ft Thomas, it did not appear to be anywhere I would want to live...

Also, I will be in a single family home with a fenced in yard. That is requirement I will not ditch...
N KY has plenty of older areas (pre-chicago in terms of age) that are plenty dense. Look closer to the river...newport, bellevue, covington. Across the river in Cincinnati, look at Clifton, Oakley, Hyde Park, Columbia Tusculum, Mt Lookout, Northside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:22 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
N KY has plenty of older areas (pre-chicago in terms of age) that are plenty dense. Look closer to the river...newport, bellevue, covington.
Ya, immediately across the river is quite charming and dense. It's really like another set of downtown neighborhoods.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Newport or Bellevue would be my first choices. I think Fort Thomas is absolutely gorgeous.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Newport or Bellevue would be my first choices. I think Fort Thomas is absolutely gorgeous.

So was I far off in recommending Fort Thomas? The OP apparently has the impression it is not dense enough. At the same time, he wants a fenced in back yard for his dogs, which I would consider readily achievable there. The day to day fall out of bed and be to work in 15 minutes I consider a huge advantage. Being in your thirties, go out and party whenever you like, knowing the next morning you can get to work in a snap.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:39 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

So was I far off in recommending Fort Thomas? The OP apparently has the impression it is not dense enough. At the same time, he wants a fenced in back yard for his dogs, which I would consider readily achievable there. The day to day fall out of bed and be to work in 15 minutes I consider a huge advantage. Being in your thirties, go out and party whenever you like, knowing the next morning you can get to work in a snap.
No, I don't think so. Ft thomas has the density of an older streetcar suburb like norwood or pleasant ridge or college hill. I'm not sure about its business district.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 AM

307 posts, read 543,760 times
Luckily with our hilly terrain you can find large yards even in dense neighborhoods. There are lots of places in prospect hill with massive terraced yards that run up the hillside. I feel like places in fairview have large yards that run down the hillsides. It exists, though not sure it will be easiest to find, but if you're not in a rush it's possible.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiddar View Post
I will be moving to Cincy in a month or so for a new position with a large company in the Cincy area. The office is actaully in Ft Thomas, KY. But, I want to live in an area that is walkable. I am am moving from Chicago...and while I realize that there probably is no area quite like Chicago in Cincy, I would like to at least settle in an area where I can park my car on the weekend and hopefully not start it up again until Monday morning. I will be looking for a single family home (up to $350K budget), no kids to worry about at this time...I'm a single dude in my mid 30's, fenced back yard for my dogs, OK commute to Ft Thomas. I like to get out to a pub or bar or nice restaurant on the weekends.

So, what neighborhood is right for me? How is the commute from that neighborhood to Ft Thomas? What are some of the hang outs suitable for a single man in his mid 30's in that area?

Thanks for the help!
Cincinnati may not be among the largest big cities in the country, and it may not have the endless things to do that 5 million plus metro areas have, and currently it doesn't have the public transit system, BUT the one thing that is very true.

Cincinnati, believe it or not, has walkable neighborhoods that are on par with the east coast cities and Chicago. I'm serious when I say this. And there is reason for this: Cincinnati was the first city to become large in the midwest.

Take a look for yourself. While still, in the very early stages of being gentrified after hitting rock bottom with crime, poverty, and neglect, Over-the-Rhine (as well as West End, Pendleton) are really the only urban neighborhoods in the midwest that have the architecture and structure of a historic neighborhood in Manhattan like Greenwich Village, Harlem.

It may not have the safety you are looking for certainly, but thought I would throw it out there.

Neighborhoods that are very safe and walkable/dense that would charm you off your feet would be Mt. Adams, as well as Clifton/Clifton Hts. Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout are more suburban-urban neighborhoods with quaint downtowns. Living in Cincinnati proper would still put you in commutable distance of anywhere in Northern Kentucky.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
The definition of walkable seems to vary considerably. Where I live I see people in the morning walking, usually with some sort of music device earphone plugged in their ear. It could be called a jog but to me is more like a brisk walk. Later in the day I see mothers with strollers out walking their young children or people with their dogs, often in small groups, likely neighbors. And we don't even have sidewalks. But traffic is not heavy so I guess they feel safe enough. And there is really no place to walk to, other than around a few loops and then back home. What pleases me is whenever I am out and say Good Day to them they invariably respond back in kind.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
No, he made it perfectly clear he wants a fenced rear yard for his dogs. So we can see where his priorities are.
Please tell me you aren't saying there aren't fenced yards in CUF or Clifton Gaslight....

Old 04-18-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
The definition of walkable seems to vary considerably.
Well, generally speaking, walkable has more to do with amenities than going outside for a walk. Where I live I walk most places I go. This includes shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc. Mason is not walkable in the sense we use walkable when referring to dense urban areas, such as Chicago and Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati