Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yeah, but the last time it spun off was in 1868.
(?)

1943 -- Youngstown.

See History.

Roman Catholic Diocese of Youngstown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
...I became a non-practicing Catholic. Having been raised a Catholic all my life, I still cannot search out another church because I just don't feel comfortable there. But at the same time, I severed my support with the Catholic church. I am not sure what they could do to get me back. I will likely die stuck in some limbo land.
All seven sacraments have a purely spiritual level. Look into it closer. After all, the material church is not everywhere.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Didn't the Youngstown diocese spin off from Cleveland?

Per your link:

Quote:
The Diocese of Youngstown was created from the Diocese of Cleveland in 1943 by Pope Pius XII.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Didn't the Youngstown diocese spin off from Cleveland?

Per your link:
Archdiocese is state-wide.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Archdiocese is simply an honorary designation with no intrinsic governing over any other diocese.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Archdiocese is simply an honorary designation with no intrinsic governing over any other diocese.
Intrinsic. As has already been stated, the Archbishop is the chairman of the board, so it's indirectly speaking. There would be no reason for the "Arch" if he were ultimately on a par with all others. More directly speaking, yes, you are correct.

Sometimes it's easier to understand when viewed in the light of other countries, although not always there, either.

Technically, a state is a nation. The U.S. is essentially fifty little nations united in a federal republic. It is on that basis we have ideas such as "state's rights" and once upon a time the idea that a state could secede from the union. Indeed, the first thirteen colonies set up a confedation before the federal system was started.

So, if a state is a nation, the archbishop is the chief prelate of a nation.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Although speaking as a non-Roman Catholic, I believe Wikipedia has a fairly concise explanation:

A diocese is the district or see under the supervision of a bishop. It is divided into parishes.
An archdiocese is more significant than a diocese. An archdiocese is presided over by an archbishop whose see may have or had importance due to size or historical significance.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Yes, the Archbishop should have more sway over the Archdiocese than just a regular diocese. I guess that is why I am so disappointed in the actions of the Archbishops all the way up to the Cardinals in their handling of the sex scandal within the Church. Yes I believe it was very real and the handling by the Church so poor it made me lose all faith in their guidance. I just cannot follow the guidance of people I have absolutely no confidence in. And I am sure many other former Catholics either feel the same way or are attending Church with their own set of guidance principles. The power of the clergy is a fraction of what it once was.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
the pressure on the non-Catholic to turn Catholic was immense. In fact, for a non-Catholic to marry a Catholic in a church sanctioned marriage, the non-Catholic had to first agree that any children would be raised Catholic. My wife, who was Lutheran at the time, had to go through this.
When I married dramamama she was still catholic and I had been raised in a hell fire and brimstone fundamentalist bible believing church, the old time gospel church that is almost non existent to this date. I could go on all night about this.
THE POPE IS THE ANTICHRIST!!!BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
You do realize, I hope, that this inappropriate discussion has absolutely no place on this particular forum and some of us are deeply offended that a moderator hasn't removed it.
I beg to disagree. Religion is an integral part of the everyday lives of a good many people. You can figure it is THE motivation for several hundred thousand people in Greater Cincinnati alone.

And, by that I mean they get up in the morning and go to work, that being teaching school, nursing in a hospital or whatever, because religion has motivated them. The donate sums of money, sometimes large sums (tax write off aside) to "help in 'God's work'."

People post in these threads to look for relocation information. Well, FYI, when I first looked for an apartment in Northern Kentucky, I deliberately tried to find one in Campbell county at first because I already knew Kenton county was probably the "more Catholic" area since it hosts the diocesan cathedral.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 04-28-2012 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: missing words added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati