Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 01:31 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
???
Is that a big deal?
HUGE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
I know you only see real cities on television, but before you go throwing around terms that are beyond your travel experience, but did you ever consider just what is "looping" to make a "loop?"

Just for the record the L and the Loop are not inclusive to one another. The loop makes up probably 10% of total mileage on the L tracks.

Beyond that the Loop actually extends beyond the original loop of tracks it was named for so your point of the Loop proper being the same as the loop of L tracks is off base.

You're not as smart as you think you are.

Oh and soldier field is downtown. Have a great day.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:18 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Really?
Little place called Richfield Coliseum. You may have heard of it. It's a field now. Nothing but flowers. And the basketball/hockey arena is downtown. Quicken Loans -- nee Gund -- Arena. You may have heard of it.

Cedar Point is not in a suburb of Cleveland. Consult a map.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 PM

583 posts, read 884,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Just for the record the L and the Loop are not inclusive to one another.
Whoever said they were?

Quote:
The loop makes up probably 10% of total mileage on the L tracks.
This is relevant to what?

Quote:
Beyond that the Loop actually extends beyond the original loop of tracks it was named for so your point of the Loop proper being the same as the loop of L tracks is off base.
Nah, the Loop is the Loop. I'll give you maybe a half block outside the Loop as "the Loop," but that's it. Michigan Ave. is not in the Loop. Some people like to try to extend the boundaries to feel like they're part of something cool and because of the cachet the Loop has, enhanced by Chicago institutions such as WLUP, but if you're not in the Loop, you're not in the Loop.

Quote:
You're not as smart as you think you are.

Oh and soldier field is downtown. Have a great day.
I might be dumb as dirt, but I'm smarter than you're Chicago.

Further, consider this exceedingly relevant point over which you've glossed: Was Soldier Field built as a downtown stadium back in 1924?

You went 0 for 4 on that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Little place called Richfield Coliseum. You may have heard of it. It's a field now.
I have heard of it. I read it was plagued by horrible access.

From Wiki:

"As there was really only one true entrance to the arena (directly at the 271/303 interchange) traffic would back up for several miles in all directions for hours whenever an event was even close to a sell out."

They should have built it right on an interstate with easy and fast access from multiple directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Cedar Point is not in a suburb of Cleveland. Consult a map.
Who said it was? Consult a grammar book.

Last edited by GregHenry; 06-01-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:
AWESOME!

JUST AWESOME!

I CAN'T WAIT TO SHOW THIS POST TO EVERYONE!

YOU ARE NOW GOING TO BE THE TOPIC OF CONVERSATION FOR YEARS TO COME.

THANK YOU!

"I'm not talking about a Ford Pinto. I'm talking about a small two-door Ford made in the 70's that had gas tank problems."
You might want to make sure you know what you are talking about. Your post here implies that the L and the LOOP are one and the same.

However, the L is the transit system, so referred to because of the "elevated" tracks.

Chicago ''L''.org: History - Introduction

"Chicago's "Loop" is the city's official downtown area. The second largest downtown business district in the United States, the Loop's boundaries are the Chicago River on the west, Michigan Avenue on the east, Wacker Drive on the north and Congress Parkway on the south. "

The Loop, a Chicago Neighborhood Visit from Chicago Traveler

You may now return to your regularly scheduled bickering.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:10 AM

583 posts, read 884,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
You might want to make sure you know what you are talking about. Your post here implies that the L and the LOOP are one and the same.
Not at all. The Loop is a wholly included subset of the El. There is no ~CTA v ~El Loop.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Not at all. The Loop is a wholly included subset of the El. There is no ~CTA v ~El Loop.
There seems to be a discrepancy here concerning the basic definitions. I remember the El as the extended train operation covering a good portion of Chicago as a whole. I also remember the Loop as being downtown and forming a Loop. Granted, some of the Loop had portions of the El on it.

But I believe the greater definition of the Loop is not tied directly to the El, but rather a section of downtown which is defined as a business Loop independent of the El. The El does not run down Michigan Ave, but I consider Michigan Ave as one of the boundaries of the Loop.

This is an argument which can go on and on, but I do believe the Chicago Loop extends beyond just where the El is downtown.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:00 PM

165 posts, read 396,675 times
Wow...my spouse and I go off to spend 8 wonderful days in Cincinnati and I come back to find the topic has morphed into Chicago. Anyhow, if I'm allowed just a peep, we had a great time in the Queen City and had nice, clean, affordable accomodations at an extended stay in Blue Ash. Met some great local folks, sampled Skyline Chili (surprising good considering our Tex-Mex background) and their 4-ways. The OTR district was as busy as a beehive with new things happening there almost daily. Went to the antiques fair on Sunday across the river in Burlington, KY as well as the same in Springfield, OH. Not a single day in our visit was boring. Weather was perfect as well although a bit humid and warm. Ok...my apologies for interrupting the Chicago topic, but just wanted to counter the OP's negative experiences with our week-ago positive impressions of Cincinnati.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
^^ Cool, glad you had a fun time! Thanks for setting the record straight.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:07 AM

477 posts, read 664,610 times
Ok, time for someone currently LIVING in Chicago to chime in on this.

Here's a map for reference: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...ra=ls&t=m&z=13

In Chicago there are basically 3 definitions of the loop - The area that was the original downtown which is surrounded by a loop of elevated train lines (originally horsecars way back when) bounded by Lake to the north, Wells to the west, Wabash to the east and Van Burean to the South.

The loop even as early as the early 20th century went way past those boundaries which is the second definition, the neighborhood called The Loop, which is pretty much from the Chicago River (north and west sides) (or the two train stations Olgilvie and Union) to Lake Michigan (or Michigan Ave) and Congress Parkway on the south.

A third defitintion is sometimes called the "Greater Loop", which pretty much started with the Gold Coast (the area around the Magnificent Mile) which didn't really develop until after the Michigan Bridge was built in the 1920s and really didn't come into its own until after WWII. This has since expanded to include neighborhoods that were developed pretty much in the last 20 years like the West Loop (became a neighborhood after Oprah moved her show there), River North (funky warehouse/art district), Streeterville (old industrial land next to the lakeshore south of the Gold Coast and close to Navy Pier), and finally the South Loop (I have a friend who's lived there since 2002 and even as I would come up to visit him in Chicago I literally saw the neighborhood come together).

I consider Soldier Field to be in the South Loop, solidly in the area that is really starting to solidify as a neighborhood and has been developed in the last 10-15 years. Before that time I wouldn't consider it anywhere near any of the definitions of the loop, but by the 3rd one I would today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati