Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 05:41 PM

324 posts, read 402,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Must be a host of legitimate reasons for all those people to have that disposition.
One of the reasons is obviously pure jealousy!! While Cleveland and Cincinnati are still great cities, both have declined a great deal over the last 40 years or so, while Columbus has grown a great deal. Columbus is generally a modern up-and-coming city, while many parts of Cleveland and Cincinnati are extremely rundown. And there is the perception that our state government favors Columbus more than any other city, which is just total nonsense.

Many of the posters in this forum, especially the ones from Cincy, just can't accept the fact that Columbus is rising, while the has-been cities of Cleveland and Cincinnati are declining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
Many of the posters in this forum, especially the ones from Cincy, just can't accept the fact that Columbus is rising, while the has-been cities of Cleveland and Cincinnati are declining.
Nah, Cincy bottomed and is on the rise, starting with the urban core.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
I came to the Cincinnati forum to see what was here after enduring my second 10-day stint in two years in downtown Cincinnati. I stayed at the Millennium and was working in the convention center. Here is my take as a tourist:

1. The hotels in the downtown area are very disappointing. They are very dated and tired. I am astonished that the Terrace Hotel building is/has been closed for some time. It doesn't help the image of the area.

2. Many of the buildings that were closed/for rent last year are still on the market this year. The word "stagnant" comes to mind.

3. The city is trying to lure people downtown with concerts in Fountain Square, but NOBODY comes out to enjoy them.

4. The downtown area closes up early and all the workers seem to flee the area. There is no vibrant cluster of restaurants, cafes, bars, etc. Many cities have great areas downtown (San Diego/Gaslamp Dist., Denver/LoDo, San Francisco/Fisherman's Wharf, Baltimore/Inner Harbor, etc) that cater to the tourists and the workers. Best area I found was Newport.

HOWEVER

The Underground Railroad Freedom Center is a real gem, but it is really the only major cultural amenity downtown (unless I missed something).

The city has some awesome older buildings that are begging to be restored.

The German food is great (ate at the Hoffbrau House), but ditch the Skyline Chili spaghetti crap.

That's all for now.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ It's futile to try to explain the whole sordid Kasich/Sears/Chiquita/streetcar scenarios again to someone who simply cannot add 2 + 2, and get 4. The only "link" I wish that I could provide is the governor's home phone number, but I don't know it and he's not talking. Google it and see what you can find out.
No proof, that's all you had to say

Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
One of the reasons is obviously pure jealousy!! While Cleveland and Cincinnati are still great cities, both have declined a great deal over the last 40 years or so, while Columbus has grown a great deal. Columbus is generally a modern up-and-coming city, while many parts of Cleveland and Cincinnati are extremely rundown. And there is the perception that our state government favors Columbus more than any other city, which is just total nonsense.

You're not helping. I have no doubt that there are a few people out there who resent Columbus because of its relative success compared to Ohio's other major cities, but overall, I think the picture is much more complicated than that.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:30 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
Quote:
^ It's futile to try to explain the whole sordid Kasich/Sears/Chiquita/streetcar scenarios again to someone who simply cannot add 2 + 2, and get 4. The only "link" I wish that I could provide is the governor's home phone number, but I don't know it and he's not talking. Google it and see what you can find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
No proof, that's all you had to say
Like I said--I've kept things concise and simple. If you wish to further your education concerning Kasich's Machiavellian maneuvering to reduce Cincinnati to a non-player, all the information is available. As for myself, I don't wish to rehash this painful material--it's all history now and Kasich, himself, will become history soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I came to the Cincinnati forum to see what was here after enduring my second 10-day stint in two years in downtown Cincinnati. I stayed at the Millennium and was working in the convention center. Here is my take as a tourist:

1. The hotels in the downtown area are very disappointing. They are very dated and tired. I am astonished that the Terrace Hotel building is/has been closed for some time. It doesn't help the image of the area.

2. Many of the buildings that were closed/for rent last year are still on the market this year. The word "stagnant" comes to mind.

3. The city is trying to lure people downtown with concerts in Fountain Square, but NOBODY comes out to enjoy them.

4. The downtown area closes up early and all the workers seem to flee the area. There is no vibrant cluster of restaurants, cafes, bars, etc. Many cities have great areas downtown (San Diego/Gaslamp Dist., Denver/LoDo, San Francisco/Fisherman's Wharf, Baltimore/Inner Harbor, etc) that cater to the tourists and the workers. Best area I found was Newport.

HOWEVER

The Underground Railroad Freedom Center is a real gem, but it is really the only major cultural amenity downtown (unless I missed something).

The German food is great (ate at the Hoffbrau House), but ditch the Skyline Chili spaghetti crap.

That's all for now.
Better check your luggage for bedbugs too, considering the seedy hotel where you stayed. Sorry that you missed our two greatest downtown cultural attractions (the two Hustler stores) and Northern Kentucky's premier shopping mall (Latonia Plaza). Come back when you can...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You're not helping. I have no doubt that there are a few people out there who resent Columbus because of its relative success compared to Ohio's other major cities, but overall, I think the picture is much more complicated than that.
Yeah, things are more complicated indeed--and we realize that both pontiac51 and you are having a little fun right now on a Cincinnati thread. Nothing wrong with that--whenever possible, some of us amuse ourselves in similar fashion on Columbus threads. Just one suggestion, though--since you've commented on them so extensively on another forum, maybe you could supply pontiac51 with a map pinpointing all those broken down, inner-city areas surrounding downtown Columbus (Linden, Hilltop, Franklinton, etc, etc). Sure seems like he's never heard of 'em...

Last edited by Yac; 06-11-2012 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 06-09-2012, 06:51 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
It is no secret both Cincinnati and Cleveland lost population over a span of years, while Columbus gained. But while the cities themselves lost population, I am not sure anything other than people moving to the suburbs actually occurred.

There will be debate after debate over why people elected to leave the city. But the fact is they did. Cincinnati and Cleveland have both done a great deal to stabilize their urban core.

It is very evident Cincinnati has been successful in bring residents back downtown as evidenced by the Banks project, several commercial buildings to apartment and condo conversions, and the very successful OTR redevelopment. In addition several new CBD office towers and reburbishing of others bodes very well for the business climate. So the urban core seems to be on a solid footing, and the face of the city has been uplifted.

But some of this has come at the expense of other areas of the city. As the low-income population has been displaced by the development, they have migrated to some of the inner-ring neighborhoods, bringing with them the crime element associated with easy drug money, etc.

Once solid middle class neighborhoods such as College Hill, Mt Airy are showing the ill effects of this. Older solid neighborhoods such as Price Hill are fast falling into disrepair. Avondale has been going into the gutter for decades and is now accelerating.

So at the same time you pat yourselves on the back for resurrecting what is actually a small area of the physical city, what is the greater game plan for the city as a whole? I know, you have to start somewhere and success will build on success, like an amoeba.

But will the same powerful business interests who have backed 3CDC have the same degree of enthusiasm about College Hill? I doubt it. Why? Because there are about a dozen other neighborhoods of the city which need the same degree of concentrated help. Long term decay has set in and will not be easy to counter.

I know, castrate me for not being a supporter of Cincinnati. I just happen to believe all of the citizens of Cincinnati deserve to participate in whatever gains the city makes. I just happen to believe the majority population of the city is not being rewarded with gains. Maybe the city just needs to de-annex some of its neighborhoods and set them adrift so it does not need to be concerned with them.

Yes, you got it right, I am a pessimist. I am extremely pessimistic that any large scale public works projects can be undertaken without the underlying let the other guy pay syndrome. I would like to pay my way, see my neighbor pay his way, but absolve both of us from having to pay someone else's way. The city, state, and Federal government just do not seem to grasp this comprehension.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:59 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post

HOWEVER

That's all for now.
Colonel Hogan frequents the Hoffbrau House as well. Usually only when Colonel Klink wants to extract information out of him and invites him into town for a beer, dinner and a date with Frauline Helga.

Seriously, if you think downtown Cincy is dead you should see downtown KC. No life at all aside from the new Sprint Center's events. Only a handful of restaurants and stores in the area and the new Power and Light District is already in financial trouble.

The best Chili in Cincy is not going to be found at a chain outlet like Skyline. Try some of the Mom and Pop shops. I understand they are better. I prefer Goldstar to Skyline if I have to eat the chain stuff. Less salty. I make my own at home anyway.

If downtown Cincy can add more downtown apartments, condos and houses (OTR seems to be the answer right now) then it will be bustling with life in the next few years.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:03 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
^ Don't think for a minute, kjbrill, that many of your forum contributions have either gone unnoticed or unappreciated--indeed, you're undoubtedly one the best friends Columbus ever had...

Old 06-09-2012, 07:21 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
^ Don't think for a minute, kjbrill, that many of your forum contributions have either gone unnoticed or unappreciated--indeed, you're undoubtedly one the best friends Columbus ever had...
I am not a particular fan of Columbus. But I do have to acknowledge it has had significant growth. I sometimes wonder why. Cincinnati and Cleveland both have significant natural resources which have contributed to their past. Cincinnati and the River, and Cleveland and the Great Lake. Both are a significant resouce for either bulky or heavy material transport. What is Columbus' major resouce - I-70?

If we have to have someone to blame, it should be both the governments of Cincinnati and Cleveland for ever letting Columbus become the largest city in the state. It just goes to show how inept our city governments were over such a period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati