Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 PM

109 posts, read 165,263 times

Advertisements

The OP brings up some very valid points, and in turn gets a lot of people bashing Baltimore in reply. I'm sure he can't wait to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,447,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Does blasting on Baltimore really make some of you feel better? Ironically, the next time someone says people from Cincinnati are provincial, or negative, or unwelcoming, you'll be the first to protest. And yet here you are, being provincial, negative and unwelcoming. Give it a rest.
Does coming into a Cincinnati forum and blasting our city make any sense either? I mean, he went negative in the thread title then proceeds to blast what he saw of the city from his Realtor's car? In what warped universe does that fly? Sorry, but he's from Baltimore - not exactly Seattle there.

His thread was rude and he could have gone about it a lot more. And now, unfortunately, we're going to have to look at this title being resurrected here for the next year. It's already at four pages in less than 24 hours, which is usual for negative threads around here.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,693,199 times
As the thread continues I'd like to remind everybody to stay calm, respectful and on topic.
Yac.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,912,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay84 View Post
The OP brings up some very valid points, and in turn gets a lot of people bashing Baltimore in reply. I'm sure he can't wait to move here.
There is only one poster bashing on baltimore. Several more have chimed in along the lines of, "don't hate on Baltimore because the OP is a jerk"

I think the problem is that it is hard to figure out what the OP is actually asking among that wall of negativity.

Anyhow, I'm out of this thread, and I think we should let it die. The OP is a troll.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,179,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
think we should let it die. The OP is a troll.
I agree. Later, later.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM

800 posts, read 944,225 times
Someone from the east coast might not know just how rare real urban areas are in the United States. Chicago, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Cincinnati area the only cities in the midwest which bear any resemblence to the east coast cities.

As has been mentioned, there are things in Cincinnati which Baltimore certainly doesn't have, like Mt. Adams, or any of the many hillside neighborhoods. Baltimore was much bigger than Cincinnati in the 19th century, but most of its intact areas from that era are socially dysfunctional. Cincinnati has at least 10 square miles of high quality 19th century neighborhoods that never suffered a decline.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:45 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,034,478 times
I lived in Cincinnati for 3 years, and now live in the DC metro area. I've also spent a good bit of time in Baltimore. From my experience, Cincinnati is very boring. Sure there are neat little neighborhoods with quaint sidewalk businesses, there's interesting architecture, there's nice parks and a riverfront amenities, etc. But overall, I was bored out of my mind in Cincinnati. It found it to be very hard to meet people in Cincinnati because of what I discovered to be a pervasive small town mentality.

What do I mean?

Well, let's just say that when people approach you in a social setting and one of the first questions out of their collective mouths is "What high school did you go to?".....then you know that we're not talking big city mentality. Granted, Cinci is probably considered a medium size city, but a metro area of 500+ thousand people shouldn't be engrossed by "high school" attendance. To be sure, the reason people ask about "high school" is because the high school of attendance actually spells out the class and social status of the person. Native Cincinnatian's know which high schools are in the good/bad parts of town. Yes, a city the size of Cincinnati actually cares about that crap. I was turned off immediately, but soon learned that I would have to deal with this mindset if I were to successfully interact with people.

Another off-putting aspect of Cincinnati is it's abject refusal to relate to anything that deals with Kentucky. I myself am a white collar business owner, very well traveled, very well educated, and financially fit. But I also hail from the great State of North Carolina, which means I have what remains of a southern accent. What does that mean in Cincinnati? It means that if you have a southern accent, then you're automatically associated with those podunks across the river in Kentucky. God help those people if they actually have to interact with someone a quarter mile away across the Ohio River. It's beyond absurd explaining to everyone who's anyone that you're not from Kentucky. The mental midgetry of the city really is that astounding.

Does Cincinnati have it's good qualities? Sure, if you look hard enough. The cost of living is pretty good, and overall the people are nice (enough snottiness though...don't be fooled...it's there in abundance). But you shouldn't move to Cincinnati with high expecations (at all). On a scale of 1 to 10....i'd give Baltimore a 5 and Cincinnati a 4. Neither is awesome, but one is sure better than the other.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM

109 posts, read 165,263 times
Great post. I think your remark on "snootiness" is right on the mark. Very hard to just strike up conversations with people - in restaurants, in line at the grocery store, anywhere in public really - they will look at you cross eyed. I've never seen this before to this extent anywhere else I've lived.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM

75 posts, read 119,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I lived in Cincinnati for 3 years, and now live in the DC metro area. I've also spent a good bit of time in Baltimore. From my experience, Cincinnati is very boring. Sure there are neat little neighborhoods with quaint sidewalk businesses, there's interesting architecture, there's nice parks and a riverfront amenities, etc. But overall, I was bored out of my mind in Cincinnati. It found it to be very hard to meet people in Cincinnati because of what I discovered to be a pervasive small town mentality.

What do I mean?

Well, let's just say that when people approach you in a social setting and one of the first questions out of their collective mouths is "What high school did you go to?".....then you know that we're not talking big city mentality. Granted, Cinci is probably considered a medium size city, but a metro area of 500+ thousand people shouldn't be engrossed by "high school" attendance. To be sure, the reason people ask about "high school" is because the high school of attendance actually spells out the class and social status of the person. Native Cincinnatian's know which high schools are in the good/bad parts of town. Yes, a city the size of Cincinnati actually cares about that crap. I was turned off immediately, but soon learned that I would have to deal with this mindset if I were to successfully interact with people.

Another off-putting aspect of Cincinnati is it's abject refusal to relate to anything that deals with Kentucky. I myself am a white collar business owner, very well traveled, very well educated, and financially fit. But I also hail from the great State of North Carolina, which means I have what remains of a southern accent. What does that mean in Cincinnati? It means that if you have a southern accent, then you're automatically associated with those podunks across the river in Kentucky. God help those people if they actually have to interact with someone a quarter mile away across the Ohio River. It's beyond absurd explaining to everyone who's anyone that you're not from Kentucky. The mental midgetry of the city really is that astounding.

Does Cincinnati have it's good qualities? Sure, if you look hard enough. The cost of living is pretty good, and overall the people are nice (enough snottiness though...don't be fooled...it's there in abundance). But you shouldn't move to Cincinnati with high expecations (at all). On a scale of 1 to 10....i'd give Baltimore a 5 and Cincinnati a 4. Neither is awesome, but one is sure better than the other.
Yes [in Steven Colbert’s best emphatic voice]! Always look on the bright side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiL...eature=related

Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,179,359 times
I appreciate the insight. I disagree. I am new to town and my wife and I have many new friends we met since moving here. We are also networked into the neighborhood association. I also frequent restaurants, bars, pubs, and the like. I find the crowds easy to get along with as long as I am willing to be friendly myself.

The divide between Cincy and Kentucky likely dates back before the civil war, though it is utterly ridiculous.

I am not sure where you lived in Cincy. I have never been asked what high school I went to. Though I have heard from more than one person it's that way on the west side.

Really, judging from your apparent disdain for all things Cincy/Northern Kentucky, I am glad you moved. Not everyone is going to be happy here. I certainly would never live in the DC metro area. I am very familiar with Northern VA and can't stand that area. Same with Maryland and DC proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati