U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 AM

30 posts, read 49,156 times

Advertisements

I had started an earlier thread about my wife and I's house hunting trip for our first home and thought we would end up settling on the Finneytown area initially.

However, after doing some more searching and my wife obtaining a job at Childrens Hospital not far away from UC where I work, we started doing some more searching at houses that are more on the west side of Cincinnati.

We found a place we are VERY interested in over on Greenway Avenue right off of Glenway Avenue in Bridgetown.

It is in the Oak Hills School District which from everything I have been reading appears to be a good school district. We drove around the area to try and familiarize ourselves with it and we came away fairly impressed with what we saw.

Does anyone live or know a lot about this area? We are definitely wanting to make sure we move into a safe neighborhood and although it looked like a nice, safe area during a Sunday afternoon, just want to make sure it is like that a lot of the time.

Any help that could be provided is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM

800 posts, read 757,202 times
I grew up in the area. If you want to live in an area with zero public transportation, lots of old people, and parents who still talk about high school all the time, have at it.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM

39 posts, read 52,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I grew up in the area. If you want to live in an area with zero public transportation, lots of old people, and parents who still talk about high school all the time, have at it.
Is that helpful? My family is from the west side - my brother and sister-in-law have lived on Muddy Creek (which I think is in the vicinity?) for 30 years, raised intelligent, well-adjusted children, etc. Live where you will be happy and ignore the rest.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:17 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,195,785 times
Quote:
I don't know the area well enough to really comment (although I'd be surprised to learn crime is an issue at all) but I note that the OP said nothing that would indicate any relevance to your comments. In fact, their workplaces may tend to indicate that public transportation would be highly impractical even if they wanted to use it.

I know my neighbor's granddaughter attends an elementary school in that area, although I'm not 100 percent positive it's the school that serves that address. The family is educated (grandma is a CPA, dad's an attorney) and they're very happy with the quality of education she's getting.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 AM

Thanks for some of the responses... I will attach a link of the house so long as that is ok to do:

3312 Greenway Ave Bridgetown OH 45248 Listing Details: Sibcy Cline RealtorsĀ® Cincinnati Real Estate

Public transportation is not a big deal to us as we would just drive to commute to work daily.

The only thing that we would be sad about if we moved out this way would not being able to take our dog to the dog day care we are currently taking him to that is located off of Princeton-Glendale Road just north of I-275. But that's not at all a big deal, we just really enjoy the people who work at that place and our dog LOVES it there.

So long as it's a safe area (lower on crime) which is really my biggest concern, I am perfectly fine dealing with some of the negatives the first poster mentioned.

Also, from what I understand Oak Hills School District is an above average school district in the city which in turn should help keep the property value of the house up for when we may decide to sell later on in life.

Any more comments, suggestions would be appreciated, thanks again!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM

9,259 posts, read 14,134,004 times
Quote:
Oh that is such a comedown. If you are both going to be working in the same neighborhood, lord forbid you may actually be able to share a car. And those old people, better avoid them at all costs. They are probably only the anchors to the stability of the nieghborhood. And the high school thing, just another connection to where you grew up and where your values lie.

Some of the reflections to the high school bit is way overdone. Do people ask about your high school - sure. So what is the big deal, much of the population of Cincinnati has not shifted significantly for generations? To me this is a sign of stability. Another one of the reasons why Cincinnati is a great place to live.

Those who hate it would likely be better off moving somwhere else they deem is more progressive. Myself, I equate progressive with let someone else pay the tab for progress.

OP - Please consider the West Side. It has a lot of integrity, regardless of what the pups think of it.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Thanks kj... we are going to go look through the house I posted in previous post again tonight with our realtor.

Based on everything I have been seeing about the area where the house is located and everything in the house itself it should suit our needs quite well. So long as the area is and remains safe, I see this area as a very good place to live.

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,195,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCondit2002 View Post
Thanks kj... we are going to go look through the house I posted in previous post again tonight with our realtor.

Based on everything I have been seeing about the area where the house is located and everything in the house itself it should suit our needs quite well. So long as the area is and remains safe, I see this area as a very good place to live.

Thanks!
If I were you, I'd probably go to the street some evening without the realtor and just knock on a few doors. Despite Mecklenborg's pointlessly derogatory remarks, I'm pretty sure you'll find friendly people who'll be happy to share their opinions of their neighborhood with you. You can get good feedback on the safety issue, too.

Something you should realistically be prepared for, those West Side neighborhoods ARE oftentimes full of people who go back generations of the politically conservative, usually Roman Catholic German heritage. That has its good points and and bad points. When it comes to neighbor relationships, my experience has been more bad than good--despite the fact that it's not my own politics or ethnicity.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,012 times
I am a lifetime resident (50+ years) of the West side of Cincinnati. Bridgetown/Western Hills/Westwood area. Bridgetown/Green Township is a lovely area to live, is very safe and extremely family friendly. There is a saying in these parts "if you're born on the West Side you die on the West Side". People stay here for a reason. The West side of Cincinnati has extremely deep roots and is very established. However, we welcome newcomers with open arms.

West Siders are predominantly German/Irish, traditionalists and lean slightly toward the conservative side. You probably noticed that almost every street corner has a catholic church, a local pub and a bowling alley... . High School Football is huge on the West Side as well.

Additionally, Cincinnati is rich in the arts and has many, many wonderful things to offer. Educate yourself and get initiated into Cincinnati-Style Chili, Goetta and Grater's Ice Cream as soon as possible. Yum!

Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,088,873 times
^^ Yes, Cincinnati's West Side has been (and, to a certain extent, still is) many of these things... Nevertheless, this is a highly romanticized and nostalgic view of this area. Today's WHHS isn't the HS of Pete Rose; Glenway Avenue needs to post bi-lingual signs; and Westwood looks more and more like a ghetto. And while the Bridgetown house on Greenway certainly appears to be a charmer, the journeys to/from "The Hospital District" will prove to be arduous (and even painful), depending upon the season. No matter how much our OP dreams of living in faraway Mayberry, there will a price that will have to be paid to work on the other side of the Millcreek Valley. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or