Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,950,747 times

Advertisements

Amberley has been ticketing like crazy lately, too. They seemingly permanently parked one unmanned squad car off in the weeds at the bottom of the hill on ridge and I have passed an occupied squad car about 2 out of 3 times I have been in the village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,911,672 times
After Kasich gutted the Local Governments Fund, municipalities are getting creative. So are school systems -- look at the CPS vs. Emery Theatre drama. Kasich has started fires all over the state, but to anyone not paying attention they'd be forgiven for thinking local governments are the ones that went off their rocker. Only a few, typically very wealthy municipalities haven't expreienced big problems. Maybe Amberley's not wealthy enough to avoid the wrath of Kasich. Which is saying something! That guy is a disaster for anyone but the wealthiest of the wealthy -- those more concerned with passing on their massive wealth untaxed than having functioning police and schools.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,827,501 times
Blaming the Governor for municipal speed traps seems like a stretch to me. I will admit I liked and voted for our prior governor, but others disagreed. But I also see the current Governor's approval ratings keep going up, maybe slowly but still increasing. So blaming him for everything wrong in our society may be a little premature.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:24 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,911,672 times
I only blamed him for making municipalities desperate for creative sources of revenue (in order to reward the super-wealthy). Not all of society's ills. I'll give it to him that it's creative, in that at first blush it doesn't appear to be his doing. Which might explain how his approval rating hasn't fallen through the floor. Hopefully, in the course of the next campaign, the reality of the situation will come out and people will wise up.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,304,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Amberley has been ticketing like crazy lately, too. They seemingly permanently parked one unmanned squad car off in the weeds at the bottom of the hill on ridge and I have passed an occupied squad car about 2 out of 3 times I have been in the village.
Amberley tickets like crazy around the Jewish holidays. It is because there are so many pedestrians on streets without sidewalks and they are trying to slow down traffic. Rosh Hashanah was September 4-6 I believe. Yom Kippur is next week. I expect the ticketing will go back to normal after that.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,855,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
After Kasich gutted the Local Governments Fund, municipalities are getting creative.
New Rome was a speed trap long before Kasich was governor. Little jurisdictions like this, Elmwood Place, and New Miami have been playing a sick version of three-card-monte that the motorists can't win since the automobile was invented.

I'll be the radical person here and say municipal government can try tightening their belt rather than resorting to cockamamie games like speed traps and cameras to balance their budgets. And I applaud the Ohio House for passing by a 64-32 margin a statewide law banning the use of all speed and red light cameras (with a few narrow exceptions) which should greatly discourage the formation of speed traps statewide.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:52 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,538,449 times
Sounds just like Linndale, Ohio. Nothing worse than a place that should have incorporated long ago using tickets to fund their "village". In March, Linndale's Mayor's Court was dissolved thanks to our governor.

Linndale, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,636,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
New Rome was a speed trap long before Kasich was governor. Little jurisdictions like this, Elmwood Place, and New Miami have been playing a sick version of three-card-monte that the motorists can't win since the automobile was invented.

I'll be the radical person here and say municipal government can try tightening their belt rather than resorting to cockamamie games like speed traps and cameras to balance their budgets. And I applaud the Ohio House for passing by a 64-32 margin a statewide law banning the use of all speed and red light cameras (with a few narrow exceptions) which should greatly discourage the formation of speed traps statewide.

Linndale is another speed trap town up by Cleveland.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 PM

17 posts, read 17,736 times
Eh, just wait until the Ohio Senate votes on the bill to outlaw automated speed cameras towards the end of the year. If they vote it down, you can bet that the floodgates will open and there will be speed cameras everywhere in Ohio (including the I-75 Arlington Heights speed trap).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati