Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:29 PM

480 posts, read 1,916,962 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I have a long-distance relationship. She's in the DC area and I'm in Akron. We are planning to get married next year but have yet to determine where to live. We had some pros and cons of each place

Pros - Akron
-cheap housing
-close to my family and friends
-I keep same job
-better "family" town

Cons - Akron
-not greatest job market for her
-weather
-less entertainment
-far from her friends

Pros - DC
-good job market
-entertainment
-prettier city
-weather

Cons - DC
-traffic
-INSANE housing costs (even in the high-crime areas!)
-traffic
-INSANE housing costs
-crime
-far from both our families

We're both willing to move. She hasn't said as much, but here are the peeves I thinks she'd have about Akron - the weather, the job market, and the lack of historical artifacts and less of a "city" to go to for entertainment. (We'd still rather LIVE in a suburb.) Her family isn't in DC anyway so that's a non-issue, but of course she has friends there. For me, the biggest issues of DC are housing costs, being far from my family, having to find another job (less of an issue for her because eventually she wants to be a stay at home mom) and traffic.

Then I thought, what about Cincy? It's scenic, noticeably better weather than Akron and only ever-so-slightly colder than DC in winter, less snowfall, better job market, more active downtown and cultural activities, more of a "city" feel than Akron, and "cleaner" than Cleveland. Housing is still cheap, I would be within 4 hours of my family, and could keep my job (we have a Cincy office I could transfer to, and do the exact same job.)

What does everyone here think? I haven't even run the idea by her, I'm just brainstorming. Plus, both of us will have moved for each other, so we're "even" in that regard, so to speak.

Also, if I do choose Cincy, what are good areas? Need a decent school system, would prefer a bit of land, something more suburban. What about Northern Kentucky? Or Clermont/Warren counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2006, 12:53 PM

64 posts, read 315,874 times
Default Look to Lebanon

Ok so I think people in here are starting to get the idea that I love living in Lebanon. I know that a lot of people think that Mason is much better but depending on where you live there you could be stuck in traffic before you even hit the interstate.
We have wonderful schools and we are not fighting to get levies passed on our ballots every year.
You can get a lot of house for your money because our taxes are much lower. Please feel free to PM me if you need more information.
Are you looking to buy a house or rent one??????

Old 10-01-2006, 04:48 PM

351 posts, read 1,873,624 times
Default Glendale and Terrace Park, hidden treasures

Wow: from DC to Akron! You are right to worry! If you are considering Cincinnati, check out Glendale and Terrace Park. While on different sides of town, both have the perks of community nucleus, old homes and proximity to shopping, entertainment, etc. The CVG airport is a serious transportation hub for US and international flights. You are right to consider Cincinnati!

Old 10-01-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxgal View Post
Ok so I think people in here are starting to get the idea that I love living in Lebanon. I know that a lot of people think that Mason is much better but depending on where you live there you could be stuck in traffic before you even hit the interstate.
We have wonderful schools and we are not fighting to get levies passed on our ballots every year.
You can get a lot of house for your money because our taxes are much lower. Please feel free to PM me if you need more information.
Are you looking to buy a house or rent one??????
We'd prefer to buy. Lebanon looks nice, I did a search for homes there, seems a bit cheaper than Mason which I've also heard is good.

We both work in the financial field, will Cincinnati have a decent pool of jobs to choose from?

For me, I can keep my same job, I could literally finish up in the Akron office on a Friday and show up at the Cincy office Monday morning and keep going like nothing happened. However, she will work at least until we have kids, and I don't necessarily want to stay at this company forever, so having other opportunities would be good!

Last edited by Marka; 10-05-2006 at 01:26 PM..

Old 10-02-2006, 03:18 PM

Smile lebanon is cheaper

Lebanon is much cheaper than most areas. Mason has had the issue with school levies on their ballots and Maineville and West Chester also. We seem to be able to keep the spending in our schools pretty low and managed well.
Also it is a very up and coming town. Kroger is building a "super" kroger there. Although they call it the Marketplace. And there are rumors that we might also get a Target. So you will not have to run down to the next exit to get things.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:01 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,467 times
I just about made the same move from Westlake up by Cleveland down here to Mason. I really like both Mason and Lebanon. They are growing like crazy, but they still have that small town feel to them. Its nice only living 30 minutes from Cincinnati and Dayton. Warren County is very nice.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastina View Post
Wow: from DC to Akron! You are right to worry! If you are considering Cincinnati, check out Glendale and Terrace Park. While on different sides of town, both have the perks of community nucleus, old homes and proximity to shopping, entertainment, etc. The CVG airport is a serious transportation hub for US and international flights. You are right to consider Cincinnati!
Both Glendale and Terrace Park are beautiful communities, but a bit rich for my blood right now.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:14 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,467 times
^Check out Butler and Warren Counties. Great communties, very safe, great job markets and not far from bustling Cincinnati. Cincinnati had faster job growth rates than any major city in Pennsylvania. Cincinnati is really got a good job base and some great communities to be living in.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
^Check out Butler and Warren Counties. Great communties, very safe, great job markets and not far from bustling Cincinnati. Cincinnati had faster job growth rates than any major city in Pennsylvania. Cincinnati is really got a good job base and some great communities to be living in.
In Mason, is the trip to 71 South from Columbia Road or Kings Mill Rd. as bad as I hear?

Old 10-05-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
In Mason, is the trip to 71 South from Columbia Road or Kings Mill Rd. as bad as I hear?
Kings Mill rd would be perfect. You will hit 71S with no problem there. Just stay away from Mason/Mont. & Tylersville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati