Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,439 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a 18 year old high school student, University of Cincinnati is my top choice for college. I currently live in Illinois. I was wondering what activities are available to do in cincy? Also I heard the city is very conservative but that doesn't seem like it, because Hamilton County voted democratic this election. Also does cincy have high-end stores and flagship stores. How does the city compare to Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 03:51 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softballtennis View Post
Hi I'm a 18 year old high school student, University of Cincinnati is my top choice for college. I currently live in Illinois. I was wondering what activities are available to do in cincy? Also I heard the city is very conservative but that doesn't seem like it, because Hamilton County voted democratic this election. Also does cincy have high-end stores and flagship stores. How does the city compare to Chicago?
Hi softballtennis--

Cincinnati has a completely unjustified and inaccurate reputation for being conservative because it is significantly outnumbered by the suburbs (which do vote generally conservative). It's the city that gave Jerry Springer his start and has a pretty much unanimously left-wing government. Hamilton County is swinging Democratic - if you look at the Presidential voting numbers, lots of the Republicans are leaving (Kerry and Obama pulled roughly the same number of votes in the past three elections; but the Republican's number of votes has dropped each time, roughly correlating Hamilton County's population decline in recent years).

That said, Cincinnati is no Chicago - but if you're attending UC, there will be plenty to do in that neighborhood, both on campus and around downtown. Just steer clear of Avondale and Over-the-Rhine north of Liberty street (although I expect a few here to vehemently disagree on the latter) and you'll do just fine.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:28 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
Is there is single city in the U.S. with a population over 200,000 that isn't liberal? I can't think of one. If you're looking for liberals, you'll be be very happy to find a great majority.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,346 times
As Hensleya1 said, Cincinnati is no Chicago, but there is plenty of fun stuff to do.

UC is one of the largest schools in the region, and is a great school. We have an awesome downtown with lots of great restaurants, bars, and shopping. Also, we have some of the best neighborhoods in the Midwest (such as Mount Adams, Hyde Park, Over-the-Rhine, Clifton, etc) each offering their own unique amenities and entertainment. We have pro sports (the Reds and Bengals), minor league sports (Cyclones), the second largest Oktoberfest in the world after Munich, the Taste of Cincinnati festival (one of the largest in the country), great malls out in the suburbs, and on and on. Let's just say that if you are bored in Cincy then you are probably doing something wrong!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:13 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Nobody has really anserwed upscale shopping in cincy yet so i guess i will...Again Cincy is no Chicago but this city does serve a nice size of upscale shopping most which is located in kenwood not to far from the campus. We have IKEA, Restoration Hardware, some European shopping including Express, Nordstorm, Coach, J-crew...JUST TO NAME A FEW. We are also currently working on a streetcar system that will provide service for the university in the upcoming years.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softballtennis View Post

Make sure that you visit the campus before you make your final decision. Some people like the size of the campus, some people dislike it. Also, make sure that you are prepared for the size of many of the undergraduate classes.

Also, make sure that you feel comfortable in the vicinity of the campus as the neighborhood is very similar to that surrounding UIC or IIT.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:08 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Nobody has really anserwed upscale shopping in cincy yet so i guess i will...Again Cincy is no Chicago but this city does serve a nice size of upscale shopping most which is located in kenwood not to far from the campus. We have IKEA, Restoration Hardware, some European shopping including Express, Nordstorm, Coach, J-crew...JUST TO NAME A FEW. We are also currently working on a streetcar system that will provide service for the university in the upcoming years.
Hi cali3448893--

The OP didn't mention whether he had a vehicle - I know you can get to Kenwood via bus but the rather sorry state of public transportation in Cincinnati will leave his options outside of the immediate area surrounding Cincinnati rather limited (IKEA for instance being in West Chester).

So to turn back to the OP - do you plan on having a vehicle?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi cali3448893--

The OP didn't mention whether he had a vehicle - I know you can get to Kenwood via bus but the rather sorry state of public transportation in Cincinnati will leave his options outside of the immediate area surrounding Cincinnati rather limited (IKEA for instance being in West Chester).

Well i do know that the campus does provide a type of transportation service (not really sure where it goes though). There are also buses in the area, but i know that having a car at the university campus will cost you about 100-200 dollars for parking it in the parking garage.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 3,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi cali3448893--

Yes, I plan on having a car I'm currently looking in to buying one right now.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Once you are on campus and meet several other people you will have no problem for things to do. On weekends it is a short trip downtown to a lot of places to go. During the week there is plenty to do just around campus.

Welcome and have fun at UC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati