Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:01 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,498,498 times

Advertisements

Izzy's Pickles and sauerkraut! Izzy's latkes (potato pancakes) were the best (sorry Mom)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:03 PM

908 posts, read 1,423,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Izzy's Pickles and sauerkraut! Izzy's latkes (potato pancakes) were the best (sorry Mom)
Is this the same Izzy's that used to be in Dayton? Or did they just used to have a Dayton restaurant in addition to this one?

Old 12-25-2012, 05:27 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,857,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Is this the same Izzy's that used to be in Dayton? Or did they just used to have a Dayton restaurant in addition to this one?
The original Izzy Kadetz's was a single location in downtown Cincinnati for years. They then opened some branch locations in the Cincinnati area and Dayton Ky so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried Dayton Oh.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:15 AM

With Christmas over and heading for New Year, need to address New Year's Eve food. One of our favorites is pickled herring. We like to take the small diameter thin sliced pumpernickel rye and put a chunk of herring on it. I like both the regular pickled and the creamed pickled varieties which both must have onion slices in the pickling. Just got a container of Ky made Beer Cheese from the son-in-law for Christmas so that will be served up too.

The stuff we put down on New Year's Eve can cause a real gastronomical upheaval.

BTW, the Honeybaked Ham I brought for Christmas was very good. Unless our finances totally collapse I will likely be back there next year. I still consider them expensive but there is something to be said for consistency and lack of disappointment. Obviously many others feel the same as their store was a zoo. We had an assortment of rye breads, as ham on rye is our standard, several varieties of mustard and cheeses.

Last edited by kjbrill; 12-26-2012 at 06:42 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 05:41 PM

4,890 posts, read 13,876,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
BTW, the Honeybaked Ham I brought for Christmas was very good. Unless our finances totally collapse I will likely be back there next year. I still consider them expensive but there is something to be said for consistency and lack of disappointment. Obviously many others feel the same as their store was a zoo.
The extended Goyguy family (12 persons in all) enjoyed a Honeybaked Ham for Xmas too! We also had on hand a couple of stollen-like confections, but the good thing about 'em was that there was no icing or any fruit bits - just the flaky outer pastry wrapped around marzipan. Alas and alack, no shnecken this year.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,385,466 times
I just finished off a Honeybaked ham last week - one of the hams that was after our work luncheon. It is a nice ham BUT I have to ask if it really is worth the large premium for the honey crust. The BONE is definitely well worth t and made a really great pot of split pea soup.

I would not generally buy one except that the employees requested one.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I just finished off a Honeybaked ham last week - one of the hams that was after our work luncheon. It is a nice ham BUT I have to ask if it really is worth the large premium for the honey crust. The BONE is definitely well worth t and made a really great pot of split pea soup.

I would not generally buy one except that the employees requested one.
I think many people have the same opinion, too expensive, hard to justify. I was determined to buy another brand, but after trips to several stores could not make up my mind. They were all wrapped in foil so impossible to see the actual ham. I have bought some alternates only to find out there was a large center of fat around the bone and the meat texture was just not good. Honeybaked at least unwraps the ham so you can look at it before planking your money down. I believe they do everything they can to insure the quality of the individual hams. It would only take a few disappointed customers and word of mouth would make their business drop like a rock.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,385,466 times
Quote:
I think many people have the same opinion, too expensive, hard to justify. I was determined to buy another brand, but after trips to several stores could not make up my mind. They were all wrapped in foil so impossible to see the actual ham. I have bought some alternates only to find out there was a large center of fat around the bone and the meat texture was just not good. Honeybaked at least unwraps the ham so you can look at it before planking your money down. I believe they do everything they can to insure the quality of the individual hams. It would only take a few disappointed customers and word of mouth would make their business drop like a rock.

Show up to your local grocery store in the AM when the butcher types are in the building. Even places like Krogers and Meijers will unwpar the ham for you and show you what your getting. So will the few local independents like Beacon Meats and the like.

Personally, I have never had a bad spiral ham from other Sams' Club or Costco, either.

There is something offensive about paying $8/lb for a ham when I am buying 16-20 shrimp and fresh Maine lobsters for $5.99/lb or boneless pork loin for $1.99/lb.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 PM

223 posts, read 338,607 times
Quote:
I looked up the Rumaki on the net, found several recipies and procedures. What I found surprising was the chicken livers and water chestnuts are marinated prior to wrapping with the bacon and skewering prior to frying. Sounds absolutely delicious as I love all of the ingredients. I was very tempted to scurry up to the store, purchase the ingredients, and add them to our Christmas offerings. But then I realized both the refrigerator and the freezer are already overflowing.

It is definitely on my list to make after New Years, maybe actually on New Years. But an appetizer, no, it will be my main or only course. We traditionally take our indoor Christmas decorations down on New Years Day. So if I start early and have the marinate going, we can fry the Rumaki in batches and treat them as finger food while putting away the decorations. Sounds like a plan to me - what do you think?
I definitely recommend trying it. Sounds like some tasty fun. Even people who don't like chicken livers may enjoy it, if they try it without knowing what's in Rumaki. Then again, I'd plan to have some "alternative," too, for the less adventuresome types.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,498,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
No the original Izzy's History of Izzy's of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky was downtown Cincy

The franchised (and current) locations are a fraction of the original..In quality and taste
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati